Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Poetry Run-Off • January 2014, Single Choice
Inferno by Dante 3 50.00%
High Windows by Philip Larkin 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #16
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
FYI - There is a website associated with this translation, the Princeton Dante Project. There are several lecture texts by Hollander. You can also search his commentaries online.
http://etcweb.princeton.edu/dante/pdp/
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
FYI - There is a website associated with this translation, the Princeton Dante Project. There are several lecture texts by Hollander. You can also search his commentaries online.
great link - and the lecture on allegory is even better than what I wrote, could you believe it

ETA: on links, here are two italian actors reading the first Canto. One is Vittorio Gassman, one of the greatest Italian actors: this is definitely better for an Italian speaker, as the emphasis helps understand the text (for an Italian, Dante's language is quite hard to understand), it is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGq11ODudA
just skip to minute 4.40.
The other one is by a fellow tuscan, Roberto Benigni, comedian and actor know outside Italy for his movie Life is beautiful/la vita e' bella which won the Palme D'or in Cannes and Oscar as best foreign film, both in 1998 - this is less emphatic, but the rhyme is very clear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igC8UcnAZHE

Last edited by paola; 01-13-2014 at 03:58 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thank you both, Bookworm_girl and paola. Even though I know only a few words of Italian, the sound is so beautiful I was quite mesmerised.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #19
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

I'm going with teh Hollander translation so

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
great link - and the lecture on allegory is even better than what I wrote, could you believe it

ETA: on links, here are two italian actors reading the first Canto. One is Vittorio Gassman, one of the greatest Italian actors: this is definitely better for an Italian speaker, as the emphasis helps understand the text (for an Italian, Dante's language is quite hard to understand), it is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGq11ODudA
just skip to minute 4.40.
The other one is by a fellow tuscan, Roberto Benigni, comedian and actor know outside Italy for his movie Life is beautiful/la vita e' bella which won the Palme D'or in Cannes and Oscar as best foreign film, both in 1998 - this is less emphatic, but the rhyme is very clear:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igC8UcnAZHE
Italian does sound so musical even if I can only understand occasional words from my long fading memories of Spanish classes in high school.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
In the end, I'll stick to the Sayers translation which I love. It also features the illuminating notes from Charles Williams. I'll dip into others to view the Gustave Doré illustrations.
I also enjoyed the William Blake illustrations. You can find them at the Blake Archives.
http://www.blakearchive.org/exist/bl...ut812&java=yes
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 AM   #21
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
I also enjoyed the William Blake illustrations. You can find them at the Blake Archives.
Excellent!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
These are fantastic! I never knew they existed - so very different from Dore's.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #23
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I particularly love the lion in the first picture - it looks like a large woolly dog.

Blake was a really interesting artist, wasn't he.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I particularly love the lion in the first picture - it looks like a large woolly dog.
Blake was a really interesting artist, wasn't he.
I thought the representation of the flying monster, Geryon, was interesting.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote