Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #46
suspirit
suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DXG
Thanks. I would try just flashing the rootfs.img in normal serial console, since entering recovery mode seems complex.
suspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #47
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
Is it possible to use rootfs.img from a white Kindle DX on Kindle DXG? Any one tried?
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #48
suspirit
suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.suspirit got an A in P-Chem.

Problem in serial port

I just received the USB-TTL adapter and started un-demo. I used 3 wires to connect RX, TX and GND and set up the Minicom 115200, 8-N-1. However I could not get anything from the terminal while the Kindle DXG demo is rebooting. I could see the led blinks while during booting and another led blinks when I type something on the keyboard. Also when I short cut RX and TX I could see strange characters on Terminal so I think the USB-TTL adapter is fine. I also tried to switch RX and TX but nothing happens. It's mentioned that the Kindle TTL level may not generate good level 0 but I'm not sure how to check that. Could somebody give suggestions?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspirit View Post
Also when I short cut RX and TX I could see strange characters on Terminal so I think the USB-TTL adapter is fine.
Wrong.
There should be nothing at all "strange" about the characters you see when Tx is looped back to Rx.

You need to give us the specifics of the adapter you are using.
Make and model number, OR
A link to where it is advertised so that we can research that part for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #50
suspirit

I'm using this USB-TTL adaptor:http://www.ebay.com/itm/180987191148
Old 11-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #51
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspirit View Post
I'm using this USB-TTL adaptor:http://www.ebay.com/itm/180987191148
The title of which says: 3.3 volt and 5.0 volt ...
The Kindles serial port is 1.8 volt.

Either re-program that device (if the working voltage is programable), OR
Use a voltage divider (documented on this site), OR
Buy the proper device adapter.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #52
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The title of which says: 3.3 volt and 5.0 volt ...
The Kindles serial port is 1.8 volt.

Either re-program that device (if the working voltage is programable), OR
Use a voltage divider (documented on this site), OR
Buy the proper device adapter.
it isn't reprogrammable far as I can make out.

http://octopart.com/ttl-232rg-vreg1v8-we-ftdi-19172141

AKA:

FTDI CHIP TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE
FUTURE TECHNOLOGY DEVICES INTERNATIONAL TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE
FUTURE TECH DEVICES INTER LTD TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE
FUTURE TECHNOLOGY DEVICES TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE
FTDI FUTURE TECHNOLOGY DEVICES INTERNATIONAL LTD TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE
FTDI (VA) TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE
FTDI FUTURE TECHNOLOGY DEVICES INTERNATIONAL LTD (VA) TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE

plenty out there in the 1.8v range. that was one that fell off the googlepile.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #53
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Any known working usb-ttl converter? The one listed in previous post is not available anymore.

Mine (3-in-1 adapter) does not work, it only support 5v. Hope I didn't damage the interface
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #54
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I thought GM posted how to reduce the voltage?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #55
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I thought GM posted how to reduce the voltage?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162775

I ended up only using half of the circuit (R1 and D1). It works on my K4 and K5, but ONLY if you use a better GND than the one on the serial connector jack/pads... Or leave the USB cable connected to the same host PC as the USB adapter, for an alternate GND path through the USB cable. And I had to remove a RxD status LED from my serial adapter, because the kindle cannot pull the anode end of the diode down to logic zero with the extra current lighting the LED (even when very dim).

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-19-2012 at 01:52 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #56
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawhite View Post
Any known working usb-ttl converter? The one listed in previous post is not available anymore.

Mine (3-in-1 adapter) does not work, it only support 5v. Hope I didn't damage the interface
The "previous post" - - - >

1) Is not the device origially posted (that e-bay breakout board).
2) It is the one recommended here.
3) It is available from all five of the listed vendors.

You can find links to the cable and the cable's chip in the top post of this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170566
Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #57
suspirit

So it's clear that the 3.3V or 5V ttl converter does not work on Kindle DXG. I would get a 1.8v ttl converter and try. Still a little confused since in earlier posts I see 3.3V or 5V ttl converter.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #58
seawhite
E Ink Lover

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your post. I was thinking about the ebay ones with pictures in early posts. I had too many ebay transactions :-)

GM also gave an instruction on modifying converter to make it work with 1.8v interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The "previous post" - - - >

1) Is not the device origially posted (that e-bay breakout board).
2) It is the one recommended here.
3) It is available from all five of the listed vendors.

You can find links to the cable and the cable's chip in the top post of this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170566
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #59
seawhite
E Ink Lover

I am very glad to report that I got one DXG demo unit flashed to 3.2.1

1) get the right usb2ttl
I tried 5v, 3v, 3v + res. + diode. Eventually ordered 1.8v and it works like charm
2) copy rootfs.img to kindle
3) solder connection to serial interface
3) login as root from putty, dd to overwrite /dev/mmcblk0p1
This step took hours and I got tons of "Buffer I/O error". Eventually I decide to give up, force kindle reboot.
But then it come back with 3.2.1 running fine.

The mp3 of 3.2.1 is really bad. I need DXG 2.5.8 image to downgrade it. If anyone can help, please pm me.

Thanks to stangri, knc1, Begemot, geekmaster, twobob, megacoupe, dpavlin and ofcourse yifanlu.

You guys rock!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #60
remesh
remesh began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-950SC
I bought a kindle DXG demo version and while waiting to get a USB to TTL cable, copied the software update for B009 version from amazon site to my kindle dxg root folder and restarted. While restarting, it said, Software is being updated and then failed with error U006, which many others have also reported when they have installed hacks. Is there any copies of firmware available where such a check is bypassed?

Complete noob here, any help will be appreciated.
remesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking