Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #46
Jack__Flack
Jack__Flack began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
the dodo case might be heavier, but it is also made of wood and leather, and would offer more protection than the apple case... plus it does look a lot classier, but not tech if you like that look.
Any idea how it holds the ipad in the case? It looks very classy, but it also looks like the ipad would fall out if you tipped it over.
Jack__Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #47
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll keep it for now unless something better comes up. I am not ready to spend more money yet, and really it is only spending a brief time in there between my home and my destination of the day, at which point it is either lying on a shelf in a cupboard (inside the case) or being used in my hands (with no case).
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #48
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I just got this case for carrying my iPad :

It has rigid sides, can hold the iPad (or any reader) in whichever skin/case you may have it in - and has a panel to securely hold cables, accessories, etc.

You can look here: http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...-3|PageID=7358

and here: http://www.levenger.com/Pagetemplate...MorePhotos.asp for more photos.

I've bought cases from Levenger before - pricey but very well made.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #49
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
nice looking case. i like that it isn't ipad specific, could carry my netbook in it if i dusted it off a bit. you'll have to give us a full review after you've spent some time with it.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #50
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I just got this case for carrying my iPad :

It has rigid sides, can hold the iPad (or any reader) in whichever skin/case you may have it in - and has a panel to securely hold cables, accessories, etc.

You can look here: http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...-3|PageID=7358

and here: http://www.levenger.com/Pagetemplate...MorePhotos.asp for more photos.

I've bought cases from Levenger before - pricey but very well made.
That is actually something I'd be more interested in than a "permanent" case-more of a transporting case to travel with.

And I've bought some stuff from Levenger as well-nice quality stuff.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #51
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
http://gizmodo.com/5553770/japanese-...ide-ipad-shame

another case idea, and a cheap one too if you make it yourself!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #52
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
That is actually something I'd be more interested in than a "permanent" case-more of a transporting case to travel with.

And I've bought some stuff from Levenger as well-nice quality stuff.
Same for me. When I get a tablet I'd really just want a transport case--something it's easy to get in and out of. Maybe a silcon skin for the back if it has slick back like the iPad to help prevent dropping it.

Otherwise, I"m not a big fan of cases that fold open etc. I usually read my Kindle 1 out of the case and just store it in the case.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:54 AM   #53
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
i have the apple case for day to day use and when travelling will use one of these before putting in my rucksack.

they are specifically designed for protecting items in transit and millions are spent on them.

they have been refined over the years too.

And yes I am serious.

oh they are also very reasonably priced

you can get them in every country already

they do different sizes for most of your gadgets

different colours are available.

I have been using one with my readers for travelling for a while now

and Yes I am serious

they are also useful for getting the item returned if you forget it.
Spoiler:

stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #54
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I received my Aligata Nippon case yesterday. It comes pretty much as described on the web site. They did add a hole (~3/8in in diameter) on the top for the light sensor. This case is a relatively thick leather that should protect from a small drop. It is one of the only leather cases I've seen that does a good job protecting the corners.The leather juts out about 1/8in providing an absorption buffer from banging the iPad on anything. I would have opted for a dark brown color had it been offered, but the Nippon reminds me of baseball glove leather. It should become more attractive as it wears and ages. This case does not offer any means of standing the iPad up at an angle for viewing, but that was not a need. They make lack of that option clear on the web site.
Overall, this case offers the best value for the price (only $59 !) of any case I've ever owned. I did like my Vintage Leather Octostyle case on my Kindle 2 better, but it was $85 new. Octo is going to eventually offer a Vintage iPad case but they have no timeline.
Cheers, Joe Mac
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #55
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
I received my Aligata Nippon case yesterday. It comes pretty much as described on the web site. They did add a hole (~3/8in in diameter) on the top for the light sensor. This case is a relatively thick leather that should protect from a small drop. It is one of the only leather cases I've seen that does a good job protecting the corners.The leather juts out about 1/8in providing an absorption buffer from banging the iPad on anything. I would have opted for a dark brown color had it been offered, but the Nippon reminds me of baseball glove leather. It should become more attractive as it wears and ages. This case does not offer any means of standing the iPad up at an angle for viewing, but that was not a need. They make lack of that option clear on the web site.
Overall, this case offers the best value for the price (only $59 !) of any case I've ever owned. I did like my Vintage Leather Octostyle case on my Kindle 2 better, but it was $85 new. Octo is going to eventually offer a Vintage iPad case but they have no timeline.
Cheers, Joe Mac
I've been ogling that case since you (i think) posted previously about it. I want one too! I was thinking of adding a small strap to close it - with velcro dots on both ends of the strap. The same strap could then be attached while case was open, to make it become a stand.

Glad to hear you like it! I too am impressed with their corner protection, over anybody elses.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #56
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
There is one that I like, but I still find it a bit too flimsy as far as the stand option is concerned :

http://www.oberondesign.com/iPad.php

The same design done like a Dodo case (For holding the iPad itself, I don't like the bungees...) would be better...

Actually, I am using an Apple case.

Frankly, a Dodo case, with an Oberon cover and the ability of providing a stand "à la" Apple case would certainly get my money...
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #57
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A strap would be nice. The front cover folds back nicely while using the iPad, but now the cover has a tendency to not stay closed completely. I'm confident that will be a non issue once the leather is broken in. I was thinking about getting some of the rawhide material used to restring a baseball glove and using that to keep it secure. I'm not sure if there would be an easy way to make it permanent without looking tacky.
Cheers, Joe Mac
Old 06-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #58
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can buy fake sinew, which looks real (to me, though I've never seen the real stuff). EBay even has it, sold by leather workers. You could poke a hole through cover and back, and knot the sinew in place. Not sure I would want to do that, but it could be done!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #59
jmmcg9
Zealot

That may be a good option. You should recommend it to Aligata before you buy. I bet they would add it & make it look professional. That place really understands customer service. I got an email today about an improvement they made to the case that keeps the iPad from moving around. They are sending me an "update" kit in the mail. I never complained, this was a proactive move on their side. Also, there was a note that the "Nippon" cases were sold out. To make up for the delays in manufacturing they are upgrading their Fed-Ex shipping to Priority and absorbing the cost! This is incredidible. You don't see larger companies like Vaja, etc who sell quality leather cases at double the cost offering this kind of service (they don't even respond to emails!).
Cheers, Joe Mac
Old 06-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #60
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not sure I want it on mine - so I'll only suggest it to you, not to them!