Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Smashwords - question about buying and formats

So I have a couple of titles on my list of "books to buy" that are author direct books that are available from Smashwords and thru Amazon and/or B&N. So the first thing I was wondering is: are the files direct from Smashwords generally identical to Amazon/B&N? In other words, is the .mobi from Smashwords identical to the .azw from Amazon and is the epub identical to B&N?

Second, for those who buy direct from Smashwords...which is your preferred format to purchase and/or convert? Is it better to buy rtf or html and convert on your own or are the epub and mobi files pretty good?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The few that I've bought from Smashwords seemed fine. It is nice that they don't have DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Smashwords uses an automated formatting program for their ebooks, so if the author publishes through Smashwords then they should be basically the same. I believe authors can, if they choose, upload their own files to Amazon, which should in general be better formatted than Smashwords automated output. I don't know of any way to tell except to compare samples to see how they look.

I only buy or download mobi files. They don't require conversion, and since Smashwords formatting is automated, the files should all be basically the same.

I'm not that familiar with Smashwords, so I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I've never had any problems with the format of ebooks downloaded directly from Smashwords. Since I'm a Sony owner, I typically choose ePub or LRF. Getting the ebooks directly from them is good because they do not have DRM.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
In my experience, the Smashwords copies are the same you get at B&N and elsewhere, only DRM free. Why not just go to the source and get the DRM free version?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
I've put books up on Smashwords and on Kindle. As an author I've found the smashwords "meat grinder" system a bit tricky. My mobis from Smashwords are okay but lack centering. I could just never get it to work. The Kindle formatting is fine. If you've got the Kindle and the price is the same, I'd go for the one in the Kindle store.
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
In my experience, the Smashwords copies are the same you get at B&N and elsewhere, only DRM free. Why not just go to the source and get the DRM free version?
Oh, believe me, I have no objection at all to buying the DRM Free version directly from Smashwords....but if the version at Amazon or B&N has better formatting for whatever reason, then I'd consider buying it there instead.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioninyc View Post
I've put books up on Smashwords and on Kindle. As an author I've found the smashwords "meat grinder" system a bit tricky. My mobis from Smashwords are okay but lack centering. I could just never get it to work. The Kindle formatting is fine. If you've got the Kindle and the price is the same, I'd go for the one in the Kindle store.
Interesting, thanks. Does smashwords really call their system "meat grinder"
Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
My Amazon file is different, in that it went through Amazon's conversion process rather than Smashwords'. It's still DRM-free, which was an option when I listed it. I don't recall if the chapter breaks survived as a clickable Table of Contents or not.

The ePub created by Smashwords' "meat grinder" (yes, they call it that) does not include a clickable Table of Contents. However, I have a standing offer to send a custom ePub file to anyone who orders from Smashwords which does include the TOC (just PM me). That goes for orders through B&N, Sony and Kobobooks, too, since they are selling the Smashwords version.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I use smashwords a lot for my reading material. I have a sony and I have been very happy with the majority of the epubs that come out of smashwords. I also read on my blackberry, and use the .mobi (I have mobipocket on my bb). They often come up with a random string of letters/numbers as the title, which is annoying- (it looks like: tmp48292839283--I finally figured out how to fix that in mobipocket reader software). I don't have a kindle, but I do have an ipod touch, and I download directly from amazon for that machine.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
No problems here either. No DRM and a choice of any format at any time.

I have had some font issues with some ePUB format files, but nothing I cannot correct.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
No problems here either. No DRM and a choice of any format at any time.
<snip>
I love smashwords. I buy almost exclusively from there. I have the Sony 505 and have been very happy with the downloads.

DRM free, my choice of formats (lrf and epub), and I can chose both if I want.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Joseph Mitchell
Enthusiast
Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Mitchell writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PC, other
I may be wrong, but I think if you buy a book on smashwords, you buy it in all the formats they have available, so you can download the mobi and PDF versions, or even HTML, any time later after you've bought the title.
Joseph Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm pretty sure this is not Smashword's fault but frequently the metadata is terrible, at least on most of the freebies I've downloaded.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
...They often come up with a random string of letters/numbers as the title, which is annoying- (it looks like: tmp48292839283--I finally figured out how to fix that in mobipocket reader software)....
Okay, so it's not just me. I just started getting stuff from Smashwords recently and a couple of them have the screwed up title you mentioned.

Do you mind sharing exactly how you fix it in mobipocket reader?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote