Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Post Creative Commons SF

I'm sure most SF lovers here are aware of Cory Doctorow and Charles Stross, who both have released short stories and full novels under a CC license, which can be downloaded in a variety of formats.

Then there is Postsingular by Rudy Rucker, and many many books by James Patrick Kelly, Christopher Leadem, Joshua Klein, Richard Kadrey, Jim Munroe, Lindsay Brambles, Tom Maddox, Mike Brotherton, Steven Brust, Peter Watts, and Karl Schroeder (I've tried to link these names to their respective web pages)

Perhaps not coincidentally, many of these people are also connected to the excellent Tor Books in one way or the other.

So... any other suggestions for CCSF?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Here's a list for CC SF on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/list/22
Mostly similar to what you listed, but it should be easier to download these books through the list.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Hi Hadrien!

I tried feedbooks a while ago, but the formatting I got using the "Sony Reader" template looked pretty horrible on my PRS-505. I've been meaning to tinker with the custom template, but time is not on my side
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Hi Hadrien!

I tried feedbooks a while ago, but the formatting I got using the "Sony Reader" template looked pretty horrible on my PRS-505. I've been meaning to tinker with the custom template, but time is not on my side
The template must have changed a few times since then and keep in mind that the PRS-505 will support ePub too, which we already generate. As for customizing the PDF, it takes a few seconds to customize it. Usually, just a few tweaks: font size a little larger or smaller, more or less margins and a different font.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And have a look here in the E-Books section as some of these CC eBooks are right here already formatted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
. . . and keep in mind that the PRS-505 will support ePub too, which we already generate.
Hadrien, is this correct? I thought everyone was waiting for a firmware update to the PRS-505 that would allow the Sony Reader to use ePub.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Hadrien, is this correct? I thought everyone was waiting for a firmware update to the PRS-505 that would allow the Sony Reader to use ePub.
That's why I said, "will" support. In the meantime, it is very easy to turn an ePub into LRF.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Thanks, Hadrien. I read "will" as meaning it does now, not as sometime in the future. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by rhadin; 07-21-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: correct spelling of Hadrien's name
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Perhaps not coincidentally, many of these people are also connected to the excellent Tor Books in one way or the other.

So... any other suggestions for CCSF?
Poke around on Manybooks.net. Manybooks offers ebooks in a wide variety of formats. Most are PD texts from Project Gutenberg, but the proprietor also looks for CC stuff he can offer, and encourages people releasing stuff in CC format to contact him and have their work offered on his site. Since people who release under CC license are presumably interested in having their work available and read, having it on Manybooks helps attain that goal. Interested readers may not be aware of the author's site, but may be aware of Manybooks.

Manybooks links to the original release where possible, so you can get the PG version or the author's site for a particular book through the Manybooks listing.

As for the affiliation of many of these folks with Tor Books, no surprise. Tor is one of the few publishers I can think of who isn't scared off by the idea of a freely available electronic version that might compete with their paper edition.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad

No Noooo! Not more free books! I'm reading as fast as I can! Just Kidding!

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creative commons, science fiction