Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #46
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria View Post
I'm currently writing my Bacherlor's thesis and the glare of the PC is killing me. I have the lighting of my monitor down to about 10% and need to regularly put in eye drops. But in exchange my night vision is excellent!
Atlantis is an excellent word-processor where you can change the background color to black
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #47
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Look closely. You have a tiny bit of light bleed on the left. From the lower left corner, up to about 25% of the screen, there's a strip of about 1 to 2mm that is a little bit brighter than the rest of the screen.

Actually, I have a perfectly calibrated and profiled monitor over here. Your monitor may actually not show any of it. If that's the case you probably think I'm teasing again. This time, I'm not however. (I think. Hehe.)

My KWP screen is similar to yours.

I think your screen is about as perfect as you can get on a KPW1.
Ah, that I can live with, for me it is non existant. If it doesn't bother me it is irrelevant. I also think it is as perfect as they made them. Now if I returned it and PW2 would be too bright for me I would not be happy. I start to think my PW has light setting lower than others because if *I* can read at 24 without strain and it needs to be at 10 in pitch black room to read comfortably there must be something out of the ordinary for it. I cannot read on ipad full brightness in the dark, the lowest setting is still too bright for me. So this particular reader is very good for me, especially the yellow tint.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #48
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Then keep it, and don't bother with the KPW2. Your books will not become better stories on that reader. Have a look at the new readers next year, assuming something worthwhile is introduced then.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #49
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
I just went back to my Kindle2,

I really miss the snappy-ness of the Paperwhite
It's amazing how ereaders have developed in the past few years...

I hope the PW2 will be awesome!
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #50
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
I did return the PW and asked for my money back. After a bit of playing around I concluded that it was not just the light bleeding that bothered me. I really missed the crispness of the KK and K4, compared to them the contrast really was ironically very poor. And I found that I did not enjoy to read in a rather dark room for more than a few minutes. The dim lighting of the PW was much better than the Glo or Cybook but it still felt artificial to me, similar to reading on a PC in the dark and while my eyes did not really hurt I did feel some strain. No telling how that would have been after half an hour or longer.

At least now I know that those kind of ereaders are not for me and I can stop wondering. And unless the PW2 blows me away in the video reviews and comparisons, I don't think I will be getting one. I really hope that Amazon will always keep the cheaper non-touch model alongside the lighted touch readers for a bit of choice and preference.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #51
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Atlantis is an excellent word-processor where you can change the background color to black
I will have to look into that. I did change my word document to black but the white letters were much too aggressive for my eyes as well. Currently I have it set at a light blue which is much kinder to my eyes than a pure white or black background. But still, it's very uncomfortable.

Last edited by Illyria; 09-06-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #52
Illyria
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Ah, that I can live with, for me it is non existant. If it doesn't bother me it is irrelevant. I also think it is as perfect as they made them. Now if I returned it and PW2 would be too bright for me I would not be happy. I start to think my PW has light setting lower than others because if *I* can read at 24 without strain and it needs to be at 10 in pitch black room to read comfortably there must be something out of the ordinary for it. I cannot read on ipad full brightness in the dark, the lowest setting is still too bright for me. So this particular reader is very good for me, especially the yellow tint.
It really does sound as if your PW is less bright than the one I had. At 24 (that was the highest setting, right?) you could have used it as a torchlight, even during the day. Seriously, reading with it would have been utterly impossible in every circumstance. In the near dark I used it at 3.

Last edited by Illyria; 09-06-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #53
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria View Post
It really does sound as if your PW is less bright than the one I had. At 24 (that was the highest setting, right?) you could have used it as a torchlight, even during the day. Seriously, reading with it would have been utterly impossible in every circumstance. In the near dark I used it at 3.
Definitely so. At 24 it is nice off-white during day and last night I read on it for hours in pitch dark room at 12. I had an impression I'm reading a yellow oldish book. I am really afraid (I just said so in another thread) that if I returned it and ordered new one I'd get a torch light or a lemon or 2 in 1. I only wish letters were a bit darker but I don't know if it is wise to risk it for that uncertain 25% more contrast.

Today I went to the only reseller of Kindles in Brussels and compared my screen to the one they had on display. Harsh light with intertwining blue and pink compared to mine.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote