Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Don't touch the latest update!!

Amazon uploaded a new update for the Kindle for PC app. Do not download it. It borked my copy of K4PC.

The one you need to avoid is build 327771.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is the prefix K4 Mac or PC when there should be separate prefixes? It makes no sense at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
DaveSp
Enthusiast
DaveSp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire
Can you expand on what your problem is? I downloaded that version on Win7 today and don't have any problems. It synched up my collections without a problem.

Dave
DaveSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool no need

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSp View Post
Can you expand on what your problem is? I downloaded that version on Win7 today and don't have any problems. It synched up my collections without a problem.

Dave
there's really no need, if you don't use (or even know of) the tools package that the op is referring to you don't have anything to worry about.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
there's really no need, if you don't use (or even know of) the tools package that the op is referring to you don't have anything to worry about.
You need to explain that. The "op" did not mention a tools package.

I suspect I know what tools package you are referring to, but there is nothing in the post to say that was the reason his system was "borked" (whatever that means).

Like Dave, I would like to know exactly what is wrong with the new version.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

I suspect I know what tools package you are referring to, but there is nothing in the post to say that was the reason his system was "borked" (whatever that means).

I downloaded a new copy of Kindle for PC last night and manually installed it over my existing copy (so it would update). I can now longer run K4PC. It's borked.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the clarification, Nate. So it has got nothing to do with the "tools" after all?

By the way, I see that, by default, Kindle for PC automatically checks for an update each time you load it, and, if found, automatically updates itself without asking your permission.

In view of your experience, it might make sense to disable that option (in Tools / Options / General).
Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I'm not sure what you mean by a tools package. I'm talking about the official app from Amazon. That's why my original post said "Amazon uploaded...".
Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool sorry

Quote:

sorry, i must have seen a post in another thread and made certain assumptions that confused things (in my own mind).

found it (the other thread)!

Last edited by alansplace; 07-10-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: found it
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
By the way, I see that, by default, Kindle for PC automatically checks for an update each time you load it, and, if found, automatically updates itself without asking your permission.

In view of your experience, it might make sense to disable that option (in Tools / Options / General).
Correct. Disable that option. Frankly, even if I didn't have tools I wanted to protect, I like to be the one to decide when, and if, I update.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I just got a new laptop, and would like to install K4PC. Does anyone have a link to a previous version that is safe to install?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I just got a new laptop, and would like to install K4PC. Does anyone have a link to a previous version that is safe to install?
Here is a link for 1.5.0

http://download.cnet.com/Kindle-for-...-75185974.html

If you need v1.4.1, PM me. I have that version.

Carol

Edited: I actually found this site. On the right hand side it has links to old versions.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_kindle_for_pc/

Last edited by sadievan; 07-10-2011 at 06:50 PM.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #14
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
It starts up OK for me but every time I start it up I have to re-register it.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #15
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Here is a link for 1.5.0
Be careful: The Kindle apps are country-specific. If you download the US version, for example, you won't be able to register it to an account at other Amazon sites, such Amazon.co.uk. Or vice versa. (At least, that's my experience.)

Before downloading from a third-party site, you need to check that it's the right country version. I can't see any obvious way of doing that.