Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Best dictionary?

I've been using computer dictionaries for a long time, and I'm thinking of buying one for MobiPocket.

For a long time I've used an ancient DOS version of the 3rd Edition American Heritage Dictionary Deluxe Edition, called AHD3. It's the best computer-based dictionary I've ever used, which is why I've been using it for like 15 years now; it's word-for-word identical to the book version of the dictionary, plus some cool stuff like being able to search for words if you know words in the definition, being able to find anagrams and search for wildcard words, etc.

But of course it's got some kind of proprietary compression scheme and won't work on my Windows Mobile phone or any of my other PDAs. However, they all support MobiPocket, so I'm thinking of going with a MobiPocket-based dictionary. Of course, I've installed the free dictionaries here, from Webster's 1913 Dictionary and GCIDE and the like, but I'm looking for something a bit more comprehensive.

So anyway. They don't seem to have an American Heritage Dictionary at mobipocket.com, but hopefully they have one that will fit what I want:
  1. Unabridged and as complete as possible -- not Oxford English Dictionary complete, but 100,000+ words like AHD3 has would be nice.
  2. Pronunciation. This is important for me, but neither the GCIDE or the 1913 Webster's seems to include pronunciation information.
  3. A thesaurus, like AHD3 has, would also be nice.

So, anybody know if any of the available MobiPocket dictionary packages have what I want? Or, failing that, what's the best one of the lot? Thanks for any help and/or opinions on the matter!
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #2
thanhtrang
thanhtrang began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS - 505
I have used some Mobipocket Dictionaries for a long time. And the best dictionary is LongMan Dictionary of Contenmporary English. (It includes pronunciation which i find very usefull)

For thesaurus i use Oxford Paperback thesaurus. And i also use Oxford Collocations.

I use it in My Nokia E71 which comes with me all time.
thanhtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never come across a good dictionary which DIDN'T include pronunciation information.

My personal favourite (British) English Mobi dictionary is the Unabridged Chambers Dictionary, 10th Edition. I've been using that for about a year now, and it's excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've never come across a good dictionary which DIDN'T include pronunciation information.

My personal favourite (British) English Mobi dictionary is the Unabridged Chambers Dictionary, 10th Edition. I've been using that for about a year now, and it's excellent.
the pocket edition doesn't inclued pronunciation, but I think we can't inclued it among the "Unabridged and as complete as possible" ones

Anyway, though having only 40000 or something headwords, it's quite good (and very cheap too).
elena is offline   Reply With Quote