Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #811
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
NGINX as webserver could (and some say will) be faster than Apache. Maybe you could try this if you cannot control your urge to tinker

COPS works with NGINX (and PHP).
The developer of COPS (vlad59) uses it himself.
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:30 AM   #812
Jarulf
Connoisseur
Jarulf began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd, Nexus 4, Nexus 7
I mostly picked Apache because I could get it to work..
However, it seems my SD-card has gotten corrupted (the system runs, but I can't upgrade any packages anymore) so it seems I may have to do a complete reinstall. Hwo knows what I'll end up doing, exciting times!
Jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #813
mousi
mousi began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
Hello, after searching I didn't find a solution so I thought I should ask. I've set up COPS on a shared web hosting account today and I'm trying to find a way to sync my library automatically when I add new books. I have ssh and ftp access to the server. Also I'd like your opinion for the shared web hosting account. Is it going to be ok to have my COPS there resource-wise?

Thank you in advance!
mousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #814
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

@mousi

For syncing your libraries between "home" and a server take a look at rsync.

COPS will run fine on low resource computers like a Raspberry Pi so it will probably run fine on a shared hosting account.

If you have "open access" to your shared account it might not be legal to put any copyrighted material on the server, not even if you paid for it.
If you protect your server access with a password it might be legal. But laws vary from country to country.

I like to keep COPS on my private home server, only accessible from the www with at least a password, but preferably only with VPN access.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #815
jamesjoyce5
jamesjoyce5 began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Hey guys. I have been using COPS for around 3 months and loving it. However, I stupidly updated the DSM software to version 5.0 on my Synology disk station and now COPS doesn't work.

Anyone else update to 5.0 and figure out how to make COPS work? I'm running version .90 of COPS if that helps. Maybe there is something really basic that I'm overlooking that's causing the problem. Thanks in advance.
jamesjoyce5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #816
fatzgenfatz
fatzgenfatz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
@jamesjoyce5: Do you use the .htaccess file to password protect your cops?
DSM5 doesn't support htaccess at the moment. I hope, they will fix that soon.
f.
fatzgenfatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #817
mousi
mousi began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosipad View Post
@mousi

For syncing your libraries between "home" and a server take a look at rsync.

COPS will run fine on low resource computers like a Raspberry Pi so it will probably run fine on a shared hosting account.

If you have "open access" to your shared account it might not be legal to put any copyrighted material on the server, not even if you paid for it.
If you protect your server access with a password it might be legal. But laws vary from country to country.

I like to keep COPS on my private home server, only accessible from the www with at least a password, but preferably only with VPN access.
Thank you for your response. I didn't have the time to test rsync yet but I will soon. Which port would you suggest for windows?
mousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:21 AM   #818
mariosipad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousi View Post
Thank you for your response. I didn't have the time to test rsync yet but I will soon. Which port would you suggest for windows?
I have tested DeltaCopy (http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp).

It worked for me.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #819
jamesjoyce5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatzgenfatz View Post
@jamesjoyce5: Do you use the .htaccess file to password protect your cops?
DSM5 doesn't support htaccess at the moment. I hope, they will fix that soon.
f.
@fatzgenfatz

I am indeed using htaccess. I messed around with the file a lot last night, but as you seem to indicate, I couldn't get it to run. Would BicBucStriim be an option in the interim until Synology gets their act together?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #820
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
hi all,

About the Calibre synchronisation, I'm now a huge fan of Bittorrent Sync. for the record I started with Dropbox, due to memory problem I changed it to Owncloud client and finally went to Btsync.

The biggest advantage of bittorrent Sync is that you can specify that your mirror is one way so making sure to never alter the directory read by Calibre.

About DSM, it was reported in the forum, Synology guys made us a bad joke ...

But it should work fine as long as you don't use password and maybe url rewriting
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #821
mariosipad
Guru

I agree that Bittorrent Sync works very nice.

However, does BtSync work on Synology and on a shared web hosting account?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #822
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosipad View Post
I agree that Bittorrent Sync works very nice.

However, does BtSync work on Synology and on a shared web hosting account?
Yes with synology (see http://www.synocommunity.com/packages) and it will not work with shared hosting.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of people running COPS on shared hosting. In France with most cheap (or free) shared hosting, you risk getting your account removed as soon as there is too much downloadable stuff in it (archive, epub, ...). Sometimes they detect the traffic but sometimes they have rules analysing the content of your web directory.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #823
fatzgenfatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjoyce5 View Post
Would BicBucStriim be an option in the interim until Synology gets their act together?
I don't know BicBucStriim, but after a quick look at it it seems to have its own password system. So it might work on synology systems.
But I have not tested it.
f.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #824
fatzgenfatz

Hi,
about .htaccess on Synology:
i found this in a german synology forum:

Add following lines to the beginning of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf-user (for example with vi):
Code:
LoadModule authn_file_module modules/mod_authn_file.so
LoadModule authn_dbm_module modules/mod_authn_dbm.so
LoadModule authn_anon_module modules/mod_authn_anon.so
LoadModule authn_dbd_module modules/mod_authn_dbd.so
LoadModule authz_groupfile_module modules/mod_authz_groupfile.so
LoadModule authz_user_module modules/mod_authz_user.so
LoadModule authz_dbm_module modules/mod_authz_dbm.so
LoadModule authz_owner_module modules/mod_authz_owner.so
LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
After saving the file execute:
/usr/syno/sbin/synoservicecfg --restart httpd-user

After a quick test .htaccess seems to work again.

f.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #825
jamesjoyce5

Thanks, fatzgenfatz. I'm not quite savvy enough to make those changes to the .conf file. The Synology is my first NAS. However, I was able to get BicBucStriim working after enabling the mssql setting. All in all it seems Synology has made some significant changes in the new DSM software without much explanation or remedy for all the things they broke.

Thanks again for assisting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatzgenfatz View Post
Hi,
about .htaccess on Synology:
i found this in a german synology forum:

Add following lines to the beginning of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf-user (for example with vi):
Code:
LoadModule authn_file_module modules/mod_authn_file.so
LoadModule authn_dbm_module modules/mod_authn_dbm.so
LoadModule authn_anon_module modules/mod_authn_anon.so
LoadModule authn_dbd_module modules/mod_authn_dbd.so
LoadModule authz_groupfile_module modules/mod_authz_groupfile.so
LoadModule authz_user_module modules/mod_authz_user.so
LoadModule authz_dbm_module modules/mod_authz_dbm.so
LoadModule authz_owner_module modules/mod_authz_owner.so
LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
After saving the file execute:
/usr/syno/sbin/synoservicecfg --restart httpd-user

After a quick test .htaccess seems to work again.

f.

Tags
calibre opds, dns, kobo aura, synology