Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Next Amazing Thing: A Watch?

Quote:
It is believed the iWatch will run a version of iOS, the same software as the iPhone and iPad, allowing apps to be easily downloaded.
It happens that someone else is already working on this. I suspect a lot of iLawyers are too.

At what price and with what features would an iWatch appeal to you? (The Pebble can be pre-ordered for $150 right now.)
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

As i know Apple don't give their iOS to other manufacturers. So the point is - Has Apple given official permission to those who are working on iWatch.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
0.99 or less
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
They'd have to pay me to get tied into the Apple ecosystem again.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jones View Post
As i know Apple don't give their iOS to other manufacturers. So the point is - Has Apple given official permission to those who are working on iWatch.
Pebble is the prebuy and iWatch is the iCopy. I suspect Pebble is android.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
I think Pebble is based on a custom OS. The only reference to the OS that I can find says “Realtime OS based on GCC Toolchain”
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Pebble connects to iOS and Android devices via a free app. A lot of the functionality is not built into the device, but only available when connecting to the phone via Blutooth.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I don't see this happening. We know how inflexible iOS is with resolutions; developers would have to rework all apps to run on yet another resolution.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I don't see how a watch would even be able to run apps.

If such a thing were real, I would bet that:

1. It would be an accessory, rather than a standalone device (i.e. would require a smartphone, tablet, or PC to set up, sync data, and use).

2. It would have an important "lifelogging" component, like the Nike Fuelband+, the FitBit, or the Jawbone Up.

3. It would run only in-house "apps," much like the iPod nano.

Regarding this:

Quote:
Chinese online sites have reported the computer giant is working with chipmaker Intel on a wrist-worn gadget that has a 1.5inch screen and uses Bluetooth to communicate with other gadgets, which could include an iPhone.
Apple does not work with other companies on products. If you were looking for a red flag concerning the validity of this rumour, there it is.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
At what price and with what features would an iWatch appeal to you?
Nothing. The screen would be too small for reading on, and too big to be comfortable while typing.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #11
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
the point of smart watch is not to running apps. it will be designed around iphone primarily i think...it will be used to check who's calling (while you are driving/walking/biking/hiking/ and your phone is in the bag etc...), to check sms without taking phone out, check twitter, fb, controling music player and such...i have sony ericsson smart watch and it works that way with any android phone ( i mean, it works badly but that was intention)...apple is thinking right. if you buy potential apple watch you will be tied more and more into apple ecosystem and knowing apple such watch will not be less than 200$...and if you are investing that kind of money into pretty usefull accessory you are apple for life...and every iphone owner would be temped to buy one. it will be a huge hit among them and it could open a whole bunch of new owners and potential buyers of iphone+watch combo...smart move if you ask me...

Last edited by Tacty; 12-29-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Apple does not work with other companies on products. If you were looking for a red flag concerning the validity of this rumour, there it is.
Generally true.
But... Intel makes CPUs and they do work with Apple to (occasionally) get them early access to new, upcoming CPUs and chipsets.
More, there have been previous reports that Apple is looking to Intel as an alternative silicon foundry to Samsung for making their custom chips for the iPxxx lines.
So, strictly speaking, they *could* be talking to Intel about the manufacture of a SoC component for the hypothetical iWatch. Perfectly reasonable.

Doesn't mean the rumor is or isn't accurate; just that Intel's involvement isn't proof of anything. They could just as easily be talking about the real-time clock function of the chipset for the next MacBook Air.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
What's so amazing about that? There is such a watch for Android phones already, the Sony SmartWatch: http://www.sonymobile.com/de/product...es/smartwatch/
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
wizwor
Wizard

That was my point, CR. The idea of a wrist mounted remote control for a phone doesn't impress me.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
What's so amazing about that? There is such a watch for Android phones already, the Sony SmartWatch: http://www.sonymobile.com/de/product...es/smartwatch/

maybe because it wont work with apple? you are underestimating apple's market position, trendy, fashionistas, premium, etc...if you are spending 200$ for apple smart watch chances are you are going to buy every next generation of the iphone until the end of time...and i was trying to explain why smart watch is not so bad idea. i'm using one with android. i dont like to carry my phone in pockets but rather in some small or messenger bags...and missed many calls because of that...on the busy and noisy streets it is easy to miss some calls, and some of them might be important. also, i can read a whole sms and see is it urgent to reply on the spot or it can wait...all this while phone is still in the bag...with a push of a button you can decline or mute calls also...you can control music...there are many situations where smart watch is useful...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote