Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
LG Philips demoed a grandiose 14.1" E Ink display

During the SID 2006 in San Francisco LG Philips LCD demonstrated the prototype of their 14.1-inch flexible e-book display. As if the E Ink-based display with a 1280x800 resolution, 16 gray scales, a 10:1 contrast ratio and a 180 degree viewing angle wasn't already impressive by itself, according to LG Philips, it was developed using conventional TFT process technologies and should therefore be less expensive for display manufacturers to produce.

And if we were to believe them, we'd have to see the first commercial products using this display to appear in or after 2008. Which begs the question for all you large-screen addicts: Can you wait for two more years or are you going to itch to the iRex iLiad reader (assuming it'll be available before that time)?

[via Tech-On]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
The resolution is very low for the screen size. I can't imagine a very good quality pictures on this display. Am I mistaken?
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wouldn't call it "very low". Pixel density is still 108ppi, and you find many notebook vendors who sell notebooks with even 15.1" screens that have the same WXGA resolution.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
Yes. It's on the same level with notebook & PDA displays. But I still think it's very low for text display. And this one is supposed to be on the cutting edge. For comparison, the iliad spec says 160dpi.

Last edited by tofuman; 06-15-2006 at 12:23 AM.
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
To answer your question! No! I can't wait. I hope the iLiad will be of good service to me for the next two years. And then i am hoping for the rollable displays. Much easier to carry arround. But lets wait and see. There is so much going on in dipslay technology, its fun to see all the new developments.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2006, 06:40 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I guess if you are concerned about ppi, the Epson E Ink e-paper that was also demonstrated during the SID is more interesting for you. A6-sized (7.1 inches), 0.47 mm thick, with Quad-XGA resolution (1536 x 2048 pixels):

http://www.epson.co.jp/e/newsroom/20...s_20060612.htm
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I'm sure someone else will beat them to the punch. This is déjà vu. They're trying to lure us in a slow "Buy all models we issue" thing, as they slowly get them out as they progress. Remember processor speed wars ? Getting what you bought six months ago to be obsolete by adding an other step up the ladder. Just as sickening as that parallel market thing !
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote