Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony daily edition 950
Just wondering, why no e-ink pearl for the 950?

Hi guys,

Just curious, do you guys know why Sony had the 350 and 650 with E-ink pearl technology but not for the 950?
caribbean_spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I think the 950 is Pearl, isn't it?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The 950 does have Pearl!

Another poster, Entu, also had the same question in the "Which one should I buy" forum and I answered it for that poster too. It's making me wonder why some are assuming the misguided notion that the 950 doesn't have a Pearl screen?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_spur View Post
Hi guys,

Just curious, do you guys know why Sony had the 350 and 650 with E-ink pearl technology but not for the 950?
The 950 does have a Pearl screen. What made you think that it didn't?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
The SonyStyle websites mention the Pearl screen for all new models.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.

I went to a sonystyle store yesterday, they have a TV display with a comparison between 350 650 950 kindle and nook and they have E-ink pearl for 350 650 and kindle and E-ink Viplex (or something like that) for 950. I was surprised and ask one of the seller and he said that it was correct but had no idea why it was that way.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I went to a sonystyle store yesterday, they have a TV display with a comparison between 350 650 950 kindle and nook and they have E-ink pearl for 350 650 and kindle and E-ink Viplex (or something like that) for 950. I was surprised and ask one of the seller and he said that it was correct but had no idea why it was that way.
A Pearl screen is a Vizplex screen. Honestly, the 950 really and truly does have a Pearl screen!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Well, you guys are correct on the website it does say Pearl. But I had to double take when I saw the screen with the information yesterday.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A Pearl screen is a Vizplex screen. Honestly, the 950 really and truly does have a Pearl screen!
Well, why did they make the distinction between the other models then? And why would the seller confirm that to me? And of course the 950 display model was not working so I could not even compare.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It sounds like the sonystyle store employee just didn't know. I wouldn't be surprised as I've gotten some strange service from them over the phone.

I have no idea why there'd be a distinction like that between models unless it was a mistake?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Sometimes you have to pool together information from different sources and make an informed decision from there. People often convey inaccurate information. It happens here.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Sometimes you have to pool together information from different sources and make an informed decision from there. People often convey inaccurate information. It happens here.
Or just drive over to your local big box store (e.g. Best Buy if you are in the United States) and see for yourself.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashsu View Post
Or just drive over to your local big box store (e.g. Best Buy if you are in the United States) and see for yourself.
good luck with that... I went to two different BB stores in Los Angeles area and neither had any 950s and the salespeople didn't know anything about them. Even the manager said he didn't know when Sony would send them a demo model. And the one Sony store kept them locked behind a display case off in the corner. Quite frankly, Sony doesn't seem to be supporting these with any marketing skills.
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Agreed Bic. I went to Best buy and the people over there were totally clueless about the device, I had to give them information and once again the950 was not charged so I could not try it.

Went to another Best buy and this time the sales person laughed at me for wanting a sony ereader, making jokes that I would have to read it with my head side way because of how badly "glary" it was. They did not have any in store so again no luck. This si so frustrating that I have yet to try it out. The 650 is really cool so I want to believe the 950 is too but I would love to try it!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #15
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Went to another Best buy and this time the sales person laughed at me for wanting a sony ereader, making jokes that I would have to read it with my head side way because of how badly "glary" it was.
The guy works at Best Buy; he's not exactly the highest card in the suit.

I'm sorry your experiences have been so poor. Both Best Buys local to me have the 350 and 950 fully set up and functional. The elimination of the resistive touch layer really brings these readers to the front of the back, viewability-wise.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote