Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
EttieG1
EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is there an issue w/ changing a title?

Hi all,

As I am getting slightly better at keyword usage and understanding SEO, I am considering shortening the title of my book. Actually upon reflection, I think the shorter version works better aside from SEO.

So my concern is, does a minor title change cause any fundamental problems at Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, etc. These sites seem to allow you to change the title with relative ease.

Anyway, the original title (and current one) is
'How to Help Your Grown Children Move Out'

The new title would be
'How to Help Grown Kids Move Out'

Would love to hear any input on this change. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking some major hassle that changing a title could cause.

Many thanks - all the best,

Ettie
EttieG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
I would recommend not changing it, as it obviously might cause confusion. On smashwords you would need to unpublish it first. Unfortunately, the trick is to get the title right first time, but it's not always easy.
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
According to the Bowker ISBN User Manual (section 5.2) a change of title means that a separate ISBN is required.

One of the problems with short titles (as I discovered with my one-word title) is that a search often brings up more books than you might want the user to see. As far as SEO is concerned there is nothing to stop you having both Kids and Children as keywords.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
EttieG1
EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EttieG1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the advice, that certainly gives me something to consider. It sounds like while the new title might be an improvement, it might not be worth the complication.

-E
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Since it is only removing one word, I'd say, don't bother. I did change one of mine on Amazon (only) which was not too bad and it was similar. I just needed to add a word.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
EttieG1

Can I tack another ISBN related question to this? I am wondering if the ISBN issued through Smashwords can be used with Barnes and Noble or other platforms. Is there a smarter way to go.

Also I just noticed that my Amazon preview shows a title page 'Smashwords Edition'. This makes me think I need to create a separate file for each platform. How do you guys handle this?

Thanks again,

-E
Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Check the Smashwords FAQ for ISBN: If they supply the ISBN then they become the publisher of record, and they don't recommend that you use it elsewhere (eg: if you distribute direct to Amazon or via other service). Apparently, in the past, they offered a paid ISBN that registered you as the publisher ... but this was always a bit iffy anyway, from what I've read in other places.

There are places claim that their free ISBNs make you the publisher - which may technically true, but that's a sort double-speak. The general advice is that if you want to be seen as the publisher then buy and register your own ISBNs.

But, having said all that, there doesn't seem to be a good way of always ensuring all distributors show the right publisher details. I distribute e-books through BookBaby, but purchased my own ISBNs. Most places show this correctly, but Sony (for example) still have BookBaby listed as the publisher. (ETA: I use one ISBN for all e-book editions, which I think is good, although some suggest that a separate ISBN should be used to Kindle/.mobi versus epub editions - but I never got the option to do that with BookBaby even if I'd wanted to.)

With my print-edition (with a separate ISBN to the e-book) the publisher is showing as my consulting company because it is that company that deals with the printer, despite the fact that the ISBN was registered to me personally.

Last edited by gmw; 01-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
FWIW: I think the current title reads better. Better rhythm.
Also, I think the "your" is important, and will help it speak to the appropriate audience, unless you are actually trying to teach people how to get OTHER PEOPLE'S kids to move out.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote