Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Yea, I was gonna start a new thread, but if people who have extensively used the Touch can compare the two, it'd be extremely helpful.

I have only had the Touch for a year and a half (?) so I'm unsure whether this is an upgrade I should seriously consider or not. I did buy the Touch the week it came out, so I suppose everybody else is in the same position or worse when it comes to upgrading.

I assume it's a must for night-time reading, but while I do read before bed, I have a clip-on rechargeable light for the Touch. Obviously not as convenient, but still does get the job done. So I'm more interested in any contrast or performance improvements, how much difference the higher resolution makes, any new features, etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take their time to post some comparisons/upgrade recommendations!
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
Nilotikus
Nameless Being

Bought mine this afternoon. First mobile computer I've bought since I owned a laptop many years ago.

Wasn't sure I needed the light but it's great. I'm really happy I got an ereader with a light. Can turn it on/off with as small button, adjust brightness etc.

It also has a sleep mode which is easily activated by a quick pull of the power button.

To get it working you are forced to sign up with Kobo before you can download the operating system which I didn't like. Why do they need my email address? Swines.

MAIN PROBLEM:
I can't get any books to show up on it. I uploaded a mixture of pdfs and epubs using Calibre and when that didn't work I just used file manager. They're definitely on the device but don't show up in the library and can't be found using the search bar. I've tried putting them in every folder now but they still don't seem to show up anywhere. Can anyone tell me which folder they're supposed to be in or what I might have done wrong? Thanks.
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Usually putting them in the root directory works just fine, but it's messy. You must safely eject the device before unplugging it though.
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I just noticed the Extras has Chess on it, maybe its been there for a while and i didn't notice since I don't use Extras often.

I just set mine up so I can't do a side by side comparison with the touch yet, but is seems definitely the screen resolution is phenomenal and the glo light is fantastic! I had a clip on light for my touch and this is just worlds beyond that to me. And page turns and responsiveness seem improved for me so far.

About to load my library of 700+ books on it though so that may change its speed....hopefully not.
imsoawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasofruix View Post
Usually putting them in the root directory works just fine, but it's messy. You must safely eject the device before unplugging it though.
I can't get Calibre to work at all on this just yet. You can drag and drop ebooks directly into the 'Digital Editions' folder and they are then indexed by the reader, but not if they are in folders, they have to be bare epubs.

I've asked the question in Calibre devices section to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Overall I'm really pleased with the ereader so far, lets see if the wife can sleep through it tonight

The reed switches (if thats what they use) for the sleep cover seem to be on the left and right of the bottom of the screen. I noticed the reader switching itself on and off as I put it in a Kobo Touch cover. So if I don't like sleep cover when it's released I at least know where to add the magnets to convert a cover I do like into a sleep cover
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Does anyone else notice a grey (poorly lit) uneven strip near the bottom of the screen with the light turned on?
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
Does anyone else notice a grey (poorly lit) uneven strip near the bottom of the screen with the light turned on?
No, mine seems pretty even.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
lets see if the wife can sleep through it tonight
How do you sleep through it?
jk

Would anyone be so helpful as to make a video review of the new device? Not a technical video review, we know the specs already, just a longish video from real users illustrating how it works, showing some quirk and detail, and saying how you feel about it. That'd be nice!
(yeah we've seen techs reviewing it already, but they mostly just state the obvious and don't show much of the device, a user-made review on youtube would be much better!)

Last edited by sombreastre; 10-01-2012 at 05:44 PM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
EDIT: Just crashed whilst reading an epub. Had to reset using the little hole at the bottom. Hmmm. May have to sticky tape a paperclip to the back for emergencies...
Any more crashes since this one? Has anyone else had any crashing?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
feenix1363
Lost and clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Any more crashes since this one? Has anyone else had any crashing?
I had a crash, but was plugging and unplugging a lot while I tried to figure out how to get my books on there. Just the once so far, and no issue whilst reading.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Interesting that one still needs to carry a paperclip with Kobo.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
How's the contrast on the display with no light on? Is the panel 'whiter' than the touch in and of itself?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
Nilotikus
Nameless Being

Quote:
Mine's fine too. The bottom of the page is the black band with the page number in it.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilotikus View Post
Mine's fine too. The bottom of the page is the black band with the page number in it.
With the black band there my page looks fine too. However, if I disable the black band and turn the light all the way up I can see a bit of a gray area at the bottom.
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
EDIT: Just crashed whilst reading an epub. Had to reset using the little hole at the bottom. Hmmm. May have to sticky tape a paperclip to the back for emergencies...
When you say crashed, what exactly do you mean... I'm curious as in all the times I've owned a Touch I've not had to reset with a paperclick while reading.

What I HAVE seen though is either the unit go un-responsive to Touch but still respond to the center button at the bottom of the Touch OR appear to be totally frozen on the home screen.

In either case what has always worked for me is to first, hold the power switch over to the right for a few seconds to perform a power-off, and then after releasing the switch, do a slide and release of the power switch to initiate a power-on operation.

What IS confusing is that the screen does not change when the power-off occurs, and it's not till you start the power-on and see the screen go white and then the boxes appear and get coloured in (and see the LED near the power switch turn on and change colours) that you know the power-on HAS happened.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote