Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
sagar
sagar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Basic e-reader requirements.

I'm from India.
I want a cheap e-reader for comfortable reading.
Requirements:
Ink print comfortable or eyes
good storage (expandable will do)
good pdf support, since that's what i use
transferable pdf files from computer.
Please suggest. Also, if there are any problems with the device not functioning in India.
sagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No 6" eInk reader is good for reading PDFs. You need to be looking at either a 9.7" device, or at a tablet like the iPad (or an equivalent Android tablet).

6" eInk devices are wonderful for reading fiction, but not PDF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Ipads are great if you like to empty your bank account in order to buy them. Tablets are great for what you are doing if you want something that is too big to be confortable. Current generation of the kindle is cheap however they don't have expandible memory or support for PDF, you would need to translat the PDFs to MOBI format.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar View Post
I'm from India.
I want a cheap e-reader for comfortable reading.
Requirements:
Ink print comfortable or eyes
good storage (expandable will do)
good pdf support, since that's what i use
transferable pdf files from computer.
Please suggest. Also, if there are any problems with the device not functioning in India.
For PDFs Ectaco Jetbook Color, Pocketbook912, Onyx M92 - you can't call them cheap though. Around 350 Euros.
If it has to be cheap, India has a vast market for Android tablets.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
sagar, welcome to MobileRead!

Harry is right in what he said about 6"-ereaders and pdf files, as most pdf files aren't made for the size of ereaders but to fit A4- or letter-size-pages.
If you nevertheless insist on buying a 6" ereader because they are much cheaper I would advise you to have a look at the iRiver Story HD which has the best resolution of all and manages pdf files quite well. But I don't know anything about availability and prices in India.
Your other points - eink, good storage, transfer to PC - shouldn't be a problem for any ereader.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Many PDF files don't convert well to mobi/epub. Possibly a cheap 10.1" or 9.7" android tablet might meet your needs.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote