Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #361
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Amazon has a website that you can go to and look at your notes. You can even cut and paste them into word documents so you can print them out. I do believe that any student who read a book they borrowed from the library would be able to use said feature to save their notes or retrieve their notes at a later date.
Please tell me about this web site as the notes in my public domain books I own and read on Kindle for Mac and Kindle for iPad are not stored on my Amazon account.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #362
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Please tell me about this web site as the notes in my public domain books I own and read on Kindle for Mac and Kindle for iPad are not stored on my Amazon account.
the site is kindle.amazon.com, but it only works for books on your Amazon account
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #363
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
the site is kindle.amazon.com, but it only works for books on your Amazon account
And that is EXACTLY the problem! For every single book I buy on Amazon I get probably 15-20 free PD books from other sources.

I know all about "marketing" but I guess my thinking is weird. If I were going to write a reader app (Kindle for Mac, Kindle for iPad) where the user can highlight and make notes, I'd see that the annotations file was transferable from device to device, and that they worked for any book that the app will open (even free books). But that's just me.....

And I'm not just picking on Amazon.... I don't understand how some kids can come up with FaceBook and store and "sync" zillions of "blurbs" and pictures that transfer and work on ANY device, but no company can can up with a reader app that syncs a few notes across various platforms.....

Yes, I know... I'm ranting... please forgive me.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #364
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
And that is EXACTLY the problem! For every single book I buy on Amazon I get probably 15-20 free PD books from other sources.
(snip)
Yes, I know... I'm ranting... please forgive me.
It's Monday - we are all allowed to rant on Mondays, no forgiveness required. (Okay, it's not Monday everywhere at this moment, but close enough.)

I don't have an Amazon-based answer for you, but if you use Calibre you can get your notes from your Kindle. It will grab them and create a "Clippings.txt" book/file in the calibre library. I think they are still calling it experimental, but I've used it and it works for me. (By the time I'm done with them, NONE of my books are Amazon books, 'sall I'm sayin'.)

I used that functionality because I wanted some quotes I had highlighted for a review I was writing.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #365
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It's Monday - we are all allowed to rant on Mondays, no forgiveness required. (Okay, it's not Monday everywhere at this moment, but close enough.)

I don't have an Amazon-based answer for you, but if you use Calibre you can get your notes from your Kindle. It will grab them and create a "Clippings.txt" book/file in the calibre library. I think they are still calling it experimental, but I've used it and it works for me. (By the time I'm done with them, NONE of my books are Amazon books, 'sall I'm sayin'.)

I used that functionality because I wanted some quotes I had highlighted for a review I was writing.
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not using a Kindle. I run the Kindle app on iPad, iPod Touch, and my iMac desktop. What I have found is that the mbp file IS transferable from iPad to iMac thru iTunes/Kindle app on the desktop. As long as the mbp is created on the iPad it seems to work on both. (Note that a Kindle for Mac [desktop] mbp does not work on the iPad so even when on the desktop I load the book to my iPad and then grab the blank mbp and place it in my Kindle lib on the Mac.)
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #366
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
if you use Calibre you can get your notes from your Kindle.
You can always get your notes from your Kindle. Just plug in to the computer and copy the "my clippings" off, and that's for personal docs, Amazon book or anything.
And I presume the same will be true for notes you make on a library book.

I assume the rants are regarding any limitations the Amazon-hosted note sharing feature, which I don't see as very important, personally, certainly not as any kind of 'problem.' It's hard to see it as a deal-breaker in any case.

Last edited by ApK; 05-02-2011 at 01:48 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #367
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You can always get your notes from your Kindle. Just plug in to the computer and copy the "my clippings" off, and that's for personal docs, Amazon book or anything.
And I presume the same will be true for notes you make on a library book.

I assume the rants are regarding any limitations the Amazon-hosted note sharing feature, which I don't see as very important, personally, certainly not as any kind of 'problem.' It's hard to see it as a deal-breaker in any case.
Again.. I don't have a Kindle. I run the Kindle app on my iPad. - As far as notes, if you are an educator who is reading for education, reference, and study then, yes, the notes and highlights become a big deal. Just seems like a simple thing to me to be able to save this info to your own personal space.

I'm way so I'll end my rant now.... I apologize to all.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #368
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Again.. I don't have a Kindle. I run the Kindle app on my iPad.
Indeed. Kindle library lending doesn't really affect you at all, since you can already get library epubs on your device.
I was merely commenting on the CW's mention of using Calibre to get notes from a Kindle.
I hear you about notes being a big deal for those cases. Maybe Amazon is on to something.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #369
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Indeed. Kindle library lending doesn't really affect you at all, since you can already get library epubs on your device.
I was merely commenting on the CW's mention of using Calibre to get notes from a Kindle.
I hear you about notes being a big deal for those cases. Maybe Amazon is on to something.
Indeed. I use calibre so much I sometimes forget there are things that can be done without it.

My happiness about the library lending stems from the fact that I dislike both ADE and my Literati. I've used "other" methods but I was uncomfortable with it.

A universal notes function would be nice for everyone, so I do hope that future developments will implement something along those lines.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote