Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #31
WendyH
Enthusiast
WendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toys

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
I find my husband's iPad too heavy and awkward to hold, the result of a badly broken left arm which now has two plates and five screws in it. Do you think there is enough of a difference in the iPad 2 that it is easier to hold? That is the one thing that has stopped me getting an iPad, it is just to hard for me to hold it to use unless I am at a table.

Not that we can get one yet, they won't be in Australia until March 25!
WendyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #32
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyH View Post
I find my husband's iPad too heavy and awkward to hold, the result of a badly broken left arm which now has two plates and five screws in it. Do you think there is enough of a difference in the iPad 2 that it is easier to hold? That is the one thing that has stopped me getting an iPad, it is just to hard for me to hold it to use unless I am at a table.

In my opinion? No. And I'm being honest. I bought the iPad 2 because was able to return the 1st gen that I just bought a month ago.

Is lighter? Yes. Is thinner. Yes. But in terms of weight is not a huge difference.

If they can make this 14 oz or so, I would say is the perfect weight for that size. But it is not certainly a light device ( in my opinion). Of course, I find reading my 1000 pages MySql book more pleasant on my iPad but that's a huge book.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #33
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is the iPad2 the same as the original when it comes to (not) being able to charge from a standard USB port?
I think so Harry. The cable is actually similar.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #34
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The charging seemed really slow on the iPad 2 compared to the iPad 1, although I realized I've rarely if ever had to charge from near empty before. It's only at 75% after almost 3 hours..grrr.
I think that's about average. My 1st one took about that when was almost dead.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #35
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Ok

Most stuff running now. I just got another weird error on Kindle. It said I can't download that book again because I've passed my quota or limit or something like that. if I'm not mistaken, I have same book on Kindle DXG and Galaxy Tab.

Question, to anyone with Kindles and iPads... How many copies of the same book I can have? I thought it was 3, right? talking about azw books , of course, not side loaded...

I had to delete from GT, resync and then download on iPad...
Number of copies depends on the publisher. My lowest limit so far is 4 copies (I've bought about 450 Kindle books, so my figures should be representative).
I usually only run into limits for "professional" books. For belletristic I usually can have 6 and more copies.
But the process works flawlessly. When running into any limit, I delete 1 unit from my account, then I instantly can download on the remaining units.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I think so Harry. The cable is actually similar.
I wasn't asking about the docking cable; I was asking if the iPad 2 still requires more current to charge than the USB standard specifies - ie, if it still needs a 10W charger, rather than the standard USB 5W. It sounds as if the answer is "yes".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #37
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
I wasn't asking about the docking cable; I was asking if the iPad 2 still requires more current to charge than the USB standard specifies - ie, if it still needs a 10W charger, rather than the standard USB 5W. It sounds as if the answer is "yes".
But the power is also related to the cable specs Harry ...

But yes, still requires more current to charge than standard USB cables. And makes sense, based on the amount of power a USB port can supply vs what the iPad requires to charge and works.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #38
jocampo
Layback feline

Thanks MG,

Yes, I had to delete my MySQL book from GT, sync there and then re-download on iPad again.

Couple of additional comments, minor bugs:
Had to reinstall Zinio and re-download magazines. It was not opening existing purchases even after I deleted and re-download. And GarageBand crashed the system really bad. It froze the iPad and had to restart the system. It happened to my wife, she freaks out because every time she uses a PC or device something happens, lol ...
Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The back is so curved and thin, the 30pin connector actually doesn't look like it inserts completely-you can see a thin strip of the metal part of the connector from the rear as it curves away....rather odd and un-Applelike. It is very snug-fit though..
Sounds like the iPod Touch, it has rounded edges so when it is connected, it looks the same as your description.
Ordered mine online through apple as we don't have an Apple store here. Got my original up for sale on EBay. Hoping that iPad 2 will arrive as my auction concludes next week.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #40
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Harry, I believe it has the same issue as the iPad 1.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #41
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think that's about average. My 1st one took about that when was almost dead.
Thanks Jo, I think you are right- I was just impatient to use it :d
Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #42
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyH View Post

Wendy, I think it feels lighter, but part of that may just be perception because it is more comfortable to hold based on the curves. I think if you had trouble holding the first iPad aloft for extended periods of time, you may have the same problem with the iPad 2. It is lighter, but not light, if that makes sense.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #43
GyGeek
Connoisseur
GyGeek is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsung Q1 Ultra, Boox 60, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
So I'm curious: what are you guys going to do with all those old ipads you own?
I figured a lot of people would be unloading them. A visit to craigslist netted me a 32gb wifi for $380. With a cover. The wife is all over it, she likes her iPod touch, so this suits her.
GyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #44
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyGeek View Post
I figured a lot of people would be unloading them. A visit to craigslist netted me a 32gb wifi for $380. With a cover. The wife is all over it, she likes her iPod touch, so this suits her.
You got a nice deal, I'm sure she'll love it.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #45
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyGeek View Post

That's an awesome deal!