Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #46
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I kind of expected Brant and Peg to come out at the end. BOb
I kind of like when a book doesn't follow the predictable "good guy always wins".
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
...I was REALLY hoping Peg would bite the dust that's for sure, I got tired of her character.
Not me. She certainly made some poor choices; but understandable in light of her love for her daughter and the perpetual human inclination to cling to any shred of hope, no matter how irrational.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #48
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I was basically rooting for Seth....wipe out the entire town, and create a new race, kind of like the story I Am Legend (not the movie, was totally different).
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #49
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
The question I keep having about the story is: What if Seth succeeded? So everybody on Earth is dead but is now Risen, and nobody dies...wouldn't that be a good thing?
Well, do people get older, ever? I'm imagining a "Tuck Everlasting" or "Twilight" kind of scenario when you have someone who looks like a child, who is truly centuries old. I would think that might suck. Of course, if everyone is like that and frozen in time... what if it was an awkward hair year?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #50
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
The question I keep having about the story is: What if Seth succeeded? So everybody on Earth is dead but is now Risen, and nobody dies...wouldn't that be a good thing?
I am not so sure if it really would be desirable to live forever. There are many books in literature which depict a scenario like that, and in most cases the hero is rather miserable and regards the eternal life on earth not as a reward but rather as a punishment, i.e. "All Men are Mortal" by Simone de Beauvoir.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #51
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Now that discussion has pretty well petered out, I want to thank everyone who voted for Risen and made it the Halloween read, and all those who contributed to the discussion!

It's really interesting to see people's reactions, how one person hates what another one loves, etc.

Pookeysgirl: What are your two favorite breeds of dog? Put them together, add in 1/3 miscellaneous canine genetic material, and that's Elmer, the Klempners' dog.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote