Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #526
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjallenupthehill View Post
You're not very observant about architecture, and I'm not sure you have been reading the thread carefully enough. Your point is....?
It's all about glass staircases.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #527
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
It's really simple. If you spent a lot of time and money to create something original, you would be furious if someone turned around and ripped off your inventions. It is obvious that people who defend Samsung's copying are not creators and have never experienced plagiarism or other kinds of IP theft. It is no different from Sears Craftsman ripping off the Bionic Wrench.
Jeez, I bet Samsung and Apple are pretty cheesed off now. They spent all that money on lawyers when all they had to do was ask you with your one example garnered with a 3 minute Google session.

Personally, I'd have asked for millions for that kind of advice, but kudos to you for giving it away for free.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #528
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Jeez, I bet Samsung and Apple are pretty cheesed off now. They spent all that money on lawyers when all they had to do was ask you with your one example garnered with a 3 minute Google session.

Personally, I'd have asked for millions for that kind of advice, but kudos to you for giving it away for free.
Why would Apple be cheesed? They won a $1Bn jugement. Samsung probably should have asked me, or someone else with a bit of common sense, before their internal documents stating that their products should more closely copy the iPhone came out in discovery.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #529
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I.M Pei, the Louvre, the Museum of Natural History, and J.S Polshek should all be suing Apple for ripping off their innovative designs.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #530
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Moderator Notice

Just a clarification...

Personally insulting someone isn't allowed or tolerated. A personal insult would be along the lines of:

"X is an idiot because he bought an iPad."

Bigotry, insulting a class of people (race, purchasers of a product or product line, people that listen to a certain type of music, people that like a certain type of food, etc.) does personally insult people. Saying:

"Everyone that bought an iPad is an idiot"

Is also personally insulting. MR's guidelines make no distinctions between the two.

This warning and the previous warning was directed at any and all forms of insults and rudeness. Stop it now... we close too many threads due to this violation.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #531
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Why would Apple be cheesed? They won a $1Bn jugement. Samsung probably should have asked me, or someone else with a bit of common sense, before their internal documents stating that their products should more closely copy the iPhone came out in discovery.
You're right, of course. The winners of that suit would not be cheesed off. My apologies.

I just hope somebody from Samsung is keeping a watch on this forum so that they can sign you up. In fact, there's a Korean restaurant nearby, I might pop in and tip them the wink.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #532
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pilotbob, thanks for the clarification. But let me ask you, if I say "Many Apple customers are "sheeple," shouldn't that be OK? "Sheeple" is a common term popularized by the Samsung commercials. I did not make up the term.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #533
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
You sure do have trouble understanding the rules here so let me repeat what a moderator said just a few posts back: "Our posting guidelines clearly state that personally insulting your fellow members is not tolerated." What about "personally insulting" don't you understand???

There is nothing subtle about this code of conduct either. It's pretty much standard on most civil forums throughout the web. It would be a pretty sad day when a person on a forum couldn't criticize a group of people. Your inability to understand this distinction between the general and personal is your problem. And no one is going to change just to accommodate your thin skin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Just a clarification...

Personally insulting someone isn't allowed or tolerated. A personal insult would be along the lines of:

"X is an idiot because he bought an iPad."

Bigotry, insulting a class of people (race, purchasers of a product or product line, people that listen to a certain type of music, people that like a certain type of food, etc.) does personally insult people. Saying:

"Everyone that bought an iPad is an idiot"

Is also personally insulting. MR's guidelines make no distinctions between the two.

This warning and the previous warning was directed at any and all forms of insults and rudeness. Stop it now... we close too many threads due to this violation.
Thank you for clarifying. I recognize that I've not always been civil and will make an effort to do better in that regard going forward. I will also report posts that contain bigotry, mentions of sheeple, etc. instead of replying to them.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #534
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
It's being appealed and the verdict could be overturtned or the judgment reduced. Moreover, the jury foreman is being investigated for potential impropriety. Apple hasn't really won anything -- yet.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #535
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
pilotbob, thanks for the clarification. But let me ask you, if I say "Many Apple customers are "sheeple," shouldn't that be OK? "Sheeple" is a common term popularized by the Samsung commercials. I did not make up the term.
You must be joking. You didn't make up the term 'idiot', either. That doesn't make it any less insulting.

The only reason to say someone belongs to a cult, or is a "sheeple," or is brainwashed is to insult them.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #536
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
We generally don't discuss moderation issues in public fora. However, I will make and exception and respond here.

In my opinion (I'm sure others as well) "sheeple" is meant to be a derogatory term. Someone that just follows the herd mindlessly and without thought. I am sure this is the message Samsung intended to portray as well. This would be similar to calling all those Samsung Galaxy S III owners "lemmings".

'nuff said.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #537
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
These presumably are the documents which I linked to via Groklaw only a few posts ago, which when unredacted show that Apple was very selective about which parts were shown to the jury.

It was widely reported only a month ago that this pretty clearly debunked the argument that Samsung designers were given a deliberate steer to copy the iPhone, and that it was a shame that the jury were not given access to the full transcripts.

By all means argue that the Samsung Galaxy S ended up too close to the iPhone 3G for comfort, but please don't do it on the basis of discredited information, or we all end up going round in circles.

Graham
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #538
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
You must be joking. You didn't make up the term 'idiot', either. That doesn't make it any less insulting.

The only reason to say someone belongs to a cult, or is a "sheeple," or is brainwashed is to insult them.

No, I'm not kidding. "Sheeple" is only slightly negative. It's not the same as calling people idiots or morons or stupid.

I'm surprised the word is essentially being banned here. But since pilotbob says we can't use the term anymore, I won't.

--Pat
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #539
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
These presumably are the documents which I linked to via Groklaw only a few posts ago, which when unredacted show that Apple was very selective about which parts were shown to the jury.

It was widely reported only a month ago that this pretty clearly debunked the argument that Samsung designers were given a deliberate steer to copy the iPhone, and that it was a shame that the jury were not given access to the full transcripts.

By all means argue that the Samsung Galaxy S ended up too close to the iPhone 3G for comfort, but please don't do it on the basis of discredited information, or we all end up going round in circles.

Graham
The document I saw was a powerpoint presentation comparing different elements of the UI. There were pages with Samsung and Apple icons side-by-side, with commentary along the lines of "Apple's icons look more polished because of the false reflections" and things of that nature, with an accompanying recommendation to hew more closely to their design cues.

Are we talking about the same thing?

EDIT: link to the document I am talking about.

There are 130 pages of blatant recommendations to copy almost every UI element of iOS. I don't see this being debunked in the Groklaw page you linked to.

Last edited by holymadness; 11-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #540
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
We generally don't discuss moderation issues in public fora. However, I will make and exception and respond here.

In my opinion (I'm sure others as well) "sheeple" is meant to be a derogatory term. Someone that just follows the herd mindlessly and without thought. I am sure this is the message Samsung intended to portray as well. This would be similar to calling all those Samsung Galaxy S III owners "lemmings".

'nuff said.
Many is not the same as all. Saying "many people are stupid" is of course not a personal insult. Also you can say things about a group jokingly but with a kernel of truth. Such as in this case.

But personal attacks that some people here makes very often are of course always wrong.
Closed Thread