Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Ugly Cover Pages - My workaround

Hi

don't know why amazon does this, or what is causing this, but if I buy a kindle book, the cover page on my kindle looks almost always ugly - if I send the same book to my kindle4PC, then it shows the "original" cover (color of course).

I searched for a way of changing the cover page shown on the kindle, so that at least it shows the greyscale version of the colored one in k4pc.

And here's my workaround: I use the mobi2mobiGUI to change the cover (you can find the suitable sized jpgs with google etc.), and then copy the modified file to my kindle (overwriting the old file) - so far I didn't experience any problems.

Has anyone else noticed this, or found another way? Or even found out why amazon does so?

Greets,
Pascal
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
That is what I have been doing for months now with Calibre. As well as tidying up the titles and other metadata and also getting books into a series order.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Calibre has a bit of a learning curve, even for me.
I only use it sometimes, to "convert", just to use the html inbetweens, which I can alter and touch up with KompoZer or Notepad ++.
Reason for this is, that Calibre always seems to mess up during the conversion, the converted book is mostly unreadable, unwanted linebreaks, sentences have paragraph breaks in the middle and so on.

However, one problem I had with mobi2mobiGUI, is that changing the title didn't work properly. I have all 4 books of the twilight saga, which I want my kindle to show up in the correct publication order. So I changed the title with mobi2mobiGUI to somenthing like "twilight saga book 1..." and "twilight saga book 2...." - but these titles don't show up on my kindle, they are still listed (alphabetically) as new moon, twilight,...
Do you think calibre can do the job, without messing up other things?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
bear4hunter
Addict

Never mind, calibre doesn't either.
Attached the metadata as shown by calibre
Title shows correct as "Twilight Saga 1 - Twilight"
On my kindle, this book still appears as "Twilight"

I now have a collection "Twilight Saga", with the books in order (they seem to be sorted in the order you add them to the collection, so it works for me)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zwischenablagebild.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	54905  
Old 07-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you delete the original book before reloading the one with the calibre metadata? And is calibre you are using the most recent one? Not all of the calibre series could do this. The books on the kindle look exactly the way I change them in calibre. In calibre you can change the order of the series (or rather, put them in correct order) simply by making the first book in a series, the most recent book published. Then it will always appear first.
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
bear4hunter
Addict

I bought it via k4pc, and only copied it to my kindle after editing the cover and title.
So my kindle never "saw" the original version, that's not the solution.

I'm using calibre 0.6.19 - could there really be that big difference to the newest 0.7.8?
I'll check it out...
Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
bear4hunter
Addict

doesn't work
with the newest calibre I still can change the title to whatever I like, it shows as "Twilight". I didn't check in my kindle yet, but the kindle previewer does pretty much the same job.

I think it has something to do with the database name. Attached the same file, shown in previewer and the metadata in mobi2mobiGUI - in the "window in the window" you can see as first line Database Name: Twilight. BTW, the file is the updated metadata-file as saved in my calibre library - not the original imported file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zwischenablagebild (1).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	54909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zwischenablagebild (2).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	54911  

Last edited by bear4hunter; 07-10-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I just read the books. I don't spend a lot of time gazing at the cover of my kindle or tweaking things on the computer. push a button.... read
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard

I read a lot of books belonging to series. There is no way that simply clicking a button would ensure I am reading them in the right order.