Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
mszklano
mszklano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Which firmware for PRS-505?

I bought Sony PRS-505 a couple of weeks ago.

I bought it in Switzerland, so it has German (or Swiss?) firmware; version: 1.4.00.23260.

As everybody knows, PRS-505 by default has some problems with displaying Eastern Europe and Cyryllic fonts.

As most of my books are LRF books in Polish, I'm interested in getting the polish fonts to work on my device.

For the time being I'm using font mapper trick, which allows me to have polish fonts w/o reflashing the device, but requires me to run the script after each restart of the device.

I have a couple of questions about PRS-505 firmware:

1. What are the differences between firmware versions 1.1 (US), 1.2(UK) a 1.4(Germany)?
2. If I re-flash my PRS-505, does it mean loosing Sony guarantee for the device?

Thanks a lot for any advice.
mszklano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
1) Well, US doesn't have any locales besides US itself, UK has minor UK specific changes, like date format. 1.4 is German firmware, that's correct.
2) Yes, at least if you get caught with it.

Regarding eastern europe fonts, I've just discovered (when trying to add Czech glyphs to default fonts) that default font already contains Czech letters. So it doesn't contain Polish?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
I've just discovered (when trying to add Czech glyphs to default fonts) that default font already contains Czech letters. So it doesn't contain Polish?
It contains SOME Czech letters (those that are matched by, say, French letters), but not all.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
pepak
I see. The test sentences posted by you looked (to me ) the same in my browser and in the reader, so I got confused.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote