Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 01-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
MobileRead Free Ebook Section Reaches 8,000

From the first upload on March 27, 2007 until yesterday, MobileRead members have posted over 8,000 free, well crafted e-books in multiple formats.

The milestones (as compiled by Zelda) are:
  • March 27, 2007: First upload
  • September 04, 2007: 1,000 uploads
  • November 02, 2007: 2,000 uploads
  • January 08, 2008: 3,000 uploads
  • February 19, 2008: 4,000 uploads
  • May 16, 2008: 5,000 uploads
  • December 10, 2008: 7,000 uploads
  • January 09, 2009: 8,000 uploads

Most of the e-books are in the "big 3" e-book formats of Sony BBeB, Mobipocket PRC, and eBookwise IMP; there is a growing collection of ePub books available. There is also a light assortment of other thinly used e-book formats including:
  • FB (Fiction Book)
  • RB2 (Rocket Book)
  • PDF (A4, Letter, and 6" e-ink screen formats)
  • Psion
  • IMP (for the REB 1200)
  • Hiebook
  • MS Lit

I have been fortunate enough to be part of the members posting e-books that also include (in no particular order):
  • Patricia
  • HarryT
  • Madam Broshkina
  • nrapallo
  • vivaldirules
  • Dr. Drib
  • mtravellerh
  • Jellby
  • crutledge
  • Roy White
  • tsgreer
  • ravenne
  • ProDigit
  • mjh215

There are many more and I am sorry that AI cannot recall all of the names at the moment. On behalf of the rest of the MobileRead community I say, "Thank You."

Let the celebration begin, download a new e-book today.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Thank you for including me, though I've only uploaded 3 books in LRF and Mobi so far. I'm simply amazed by those that have posted hundreds. My deepest thanks to all of them. Through guilt you inspired me to upload.

One thing that fascinated me was that it appears we got 1k new ebooks in one month. What caused that huge spike?

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
A very big to everyone who posts books
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The milestones (as compiled by Zelda) are:
actually, alex compiled the milestones. but they are worth recapitulating.

8000 is truly impressive. thanks to everyone who has contributed !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Many, many thanks to all of the contributors. What a fabulous resource you've given us all.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Many, many thanks to all of the contributors. What a fabulous resource you've given us all.

cheers
Of which RWood's ebook contributions (if you haven't already noticed) are a HUGE reason MobileRead.com is THE place for free nicely-formatted ebooks.

About six months ago, I posted MobileRead-Top 100 ebook downloads by format-June2008 and RWood's .prc/.lrf ebooks contributions, collectively, have been downloaded Tens of Thousands of times.

Kudos to RWood as well!

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-10-2009 at 08:46 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You people, all of you, have managed to collect so many of literary historys international treasures, in one place.

You may think to yourselves you are just having fun, and wanting to share with others books you enjoy.

You need to know, you are doing so much more.

Because of you, others are discovering works that could have become lost due to lack of interest, and perhaps lack of easy availability.

Because of you, people are reading more.

Because of you, all of our book readers are 'treasures', not just another tech device.

I, no, we all, thank you!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here here!!!

(or is it Hear hear!!! ? I never know)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
I keep being amazed! Thank you.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Hurray!
Thanks for mentioning me, though I only uploaded around 25 books.
I've also been busy with some research and created a bible, which probably takes the time of formatting about 25-50 ebooks.

I think my time soon comes to decrease the 'speed' or 'frequency' of uploading of ebooks, since very soon I'll hope to continue work again,and hope to upload a book per month or so.
I'm grateful I've been able to learn in a short timespan how to create ebooks, and had great pleasure creating them.

So far I have about at least another 30 books in the waitingline, as well as 3 to 4 full bibles, which I hope to upload in the coming months.

It's as much a pleasure to know my work has been appreciated, as it is to read those self-formatted books on my own reader!

I hope in the future many users will be added to provide good quality ebooks,and make them available to the masses!

I also thank mobileread to host them,and hope this site will grow in users all over the world (like eeeuser.com,which started out as a small tech-freak forum for one of the first Asus' mini-notebooks and their Linux OS, and grew to become one of the world's largest forums on the internet).

And that many more will be able to dig into the work the "forefathers" (and mothers) have prepared for them!

I see it possible, that 1 year from now we'll reach the 15.000 e-books!

Last edited by ProDigit; 01-11-2009 at 12:37 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Thank you for including me, though I've only uploaded 3 books in LRF and Mobi so far. I'm simply amazed by those that have posted hundreds. My deepest thanks to all of them. Through guilt you inspired me to upload.

One thing that fascinated me was that it appears we got 1k new ebooks in one month. What caused that huge spike?

-MJ
I think there's a credit race going on between 3-5 users on the top.
They press e-text files through a program,that outputs in all formats (mobi, LRF, lit, prc,...).

Though my concern is that many books that are been automatically formatted, usually also have lousy formatting.
I much prefer books that have been hand created, and tested on a device.
My reason for saying is that many users will find current automatic formatting not sufficiently professional looking (e.g.: chapter titles beginning in the middle or end of a page; or pictures/book covers that just don't really match it's content..etc..),and will want to redo the books.

Something already happening is,that many books exist multiple times in the ebook upload section, each with their own user-variations;many which are pretty lousy, and few that really look good!

Anyways,it is something that should be thought about when counting the 8000 books.
I guess 4000-5000 books are just different format uploads of the same book (eg: prc,lrf, moni, ...), and probably a little less than 300 books are uploaded by more then one user; so that more then one version exist of the specific ebook and format.

Last edited by ProDigit; 01-11-2009 at 12:35 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #12
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I think there's a credit race going on between 3-5 users on the top.
I hope not. I don't think book uploading should be a "contest". I'd personally be disappointed if that's what this is all about--I'm strange that way (and in many other ways).
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Mtravellerh's frenzy, mainly
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You people, all of you, have managed to collect so many of literary historys international treasures, in one place.

You may think to yourselves you are just having fun, and wanting to share with others books you enjoy.

You need to know, you are doing so much more.

Because of you, others are discovering works that could have become lost due to lack of interest, and perhaps lack of easy availability.

Because of you, people are reading more.

Because of you, all of our book readers are 'treasures', not just another tech device.

that was beautifully said, desertgrandma. and very true.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
8000 books is a total number of all formats correct?
Does it mean it is safe to assume there are about 2000 titles?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote