Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Red face Send to device button

Has the "send to device" button been fixed in the latest build? I want to use Calibre with my PRS 505 when it arrives but I've read elsewhere that this button doesn't work
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I cannot remember this button not working with any release I have tried.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can check the current bug database at

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/query

There're no open bugs about “Send to Device”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Has the "send to device" button been fixed in the latest build? I want to use Calibre with my PRS 505 when it arrives but I've read elsewhere that this button doesn't work
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
I've had my 505 for a few weeks now and I've only ever used Calibre with it... the button has never not worked.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
p3aul
Captain Courageous

I don't know if this is a related issue or not but when I closed Sony e library and plugged in my new PRS 505 , I got the msg that Calibre did not recogize it. Here is the error dialog box:
Job: **Get device information**
**error**: (3, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the path specified.')
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 43, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 143, in _get_device_information
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 322, in free_space
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 286, in _windows_space
error: (3, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the path specified.')

I don't know what any of this means, but all it means to me is that I can't use Calbre to transfer my ebooks to my reader.
Thanks,
Paul
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
p3aul
Captain Courageous

I think I have seen this problem somewhere else but I don't know what the solution might be. I Kovid is monitoring, maybe he has a solution?
Thanks
Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
A couple of things to check...

Without the Reader connected, does Calibre run?
If so, try pluging it in then & does it detect it.
If not, try running "calibre-debug -g" from the Command Prompt (Start/Run "cmd") and paste the output here
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
TimS
TimS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have seen this before, but only when I am trying to send books to my PRS-505 using both the Sony ebook library software and Calibre at the same time or after using the Sony software, clicking the eject button- it looks like a flat line with an upward-pointing triangle above it - and then trying to use Calibre to send books to my reader.

From what I can see happening, it looks like ejecting my reader from the Sony library has the same effect as telling the computer to stop a removable USB device.

If I unplugged my PRS-505 from the computer, let it detect what books I have on it, and plugged it back into the computer and then use Calibre, I don't have the issue.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Gwynevens:Thanks, I started Calibre, It detected the reader(and card) flawlessly! I transfered a book and that worked also. another question: Since Sony stores my purchased books in a folder on my computer, can I transfer them to Calibre, then on to my reader? I have tried to read the DRM books in Calibre but I get an error msg saying they are protected. Am I correct in thinking I can't read a DRM book on Calibre?
Before when I had the previous problem, I had just shut down Sony SW and possibly there was a component of Sony still running, Windows probably hadn't finished housekeeping.
Thanks, Paul

Last edited by p3aul; 05-22-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I have tried to read the DRM books in Calibre but I get an error msg saying they are protected. Am I correct in thinking I can't read a DRM book on Calibre?
Yes calibre does not read any form of DRM eBooks. Though it does read the metadata for LRX books, such as title, author,etc.. (which is not encrypted in DRM).

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
> Since Sony stores my purchased books in a folder on my computer, can I transfer them to Calibre, then on to my reader?

Yes, it'll manage them with no problems.

> I have tried to read the DRM books in Calibre but I get an error msg saying they are protected. Am I correct in thinking I can't read a DRM book on Calibre?

Correct - you can't read them, but you can transfer them - I think you may even be able to update the metadata (i.e. Title & Author) when you transfer them, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

(Did you try it via the command line, as when I try & view an LRX book from the GUI, it just passes it to Windows, which launches the Sony EBook Library to handle it!)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Cool

Thanx for the replies! havn't tried to update the Title and Author on C for a lrx book. Will Have to try that. I like Calibre's way of storing the books by creating a folder for each author. Wish I could do that on the reader. hmmm would it, I wonder?
On my computer, when I try to read a protected book in Calibre, it just gives me an error, it doesn't open Sony
No big deal though, because Now I have my PRS 505 I just read them on it!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Thanx for the replies!
No worries

Quote:
I like Calibre's way of storing the books by creating a folder for each author. Wish I could do that on the reader. hmmm would it, I wonder?
If by folders you mean collections on the PRS-505. Then you do that by pressing the bottom left corner cross "+" on the SONY reader. Make sure you select the PRS-505 drive before you press the "+".

Quote:
On my computer, when I try to read a protected book in Calibre, it just gives me an error, it doesn't open Sony
Welcome to the world of DRM, it keeps on getting better

BTW Congrats on the PRS-505. I had my device over a year and I love it. Make sure to take advantage of the books formatted and stored here on the site there are some excellent books in LRF format.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote