Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #136
Molondro
Molondro began at the beginning.

Device: iLiber
The software is the same as the MieLibro's iLiber. It's an FBreader-ADE crossover (and that's no especulation), it's just a different casing.
Molondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #137
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Something we hoped to see many months ago!
Unfortunately for me I have my sony PRS-505 reader, and will go over to a 9" device after this. Perhaps it's good for this company to start with this entry model, and to start working on releasing a cheap 9" model soon.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #138
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I own a K2, but I'd be interested in a device at this price point (or lower) with ADE (epub, PDF) support, so I can borrow from libraries etc., experiment with epub authoring, and really to diversify my reading and purchasing choices. The coolerbooks store doesn't seem very impressive right now (ZERO books in Science?) and unless the pricing changes I wouldn't be buying much there.

Then too maybe I should consider a Sony, though its lack of Mac support would be annoying.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #139
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I own a K2, but I'd be interested in a device at this price point (or lower) with ADE (epub, PDF) support
There are going to be many alternative very soon, although not all will be ~$250. The Sony Readers, Hanlin V3 and V5 from Jinke, the Cybook Gen3, the Mentor Lite / COOL-ER / iLiber, the 5" Netronix-based devices, etcetera. The unknown at present is how much better the latest mobile ADE is than the bug-ridden feature-poor version in the current Sony Readers, and whether Sony will upgrade its software to keep up. It also isn't clear how much difference there will be between the new devices for ePub and PDF, given that they will all be using the same SDK from Adobe.

So I would wait a month or two, although I would not be surprised if the COOL-ER is a contender at the end of that time. My biggest concern is the apparent lack of folder support. This may end up being the Cybook saga all over again.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #140
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
wallcraft:

I am with you about folder support. But, would something akin to keyword/category org combined with proper filtering be a viable option? Really folders are just a less flexible precursor to keyword/category organization methods anyway. In fact they allow the easy inclusion of your content in multiple "folders"/groups.

My appreciation with keyword or metadata organization has been greatly enhanced when I started using Adobe Lightroom. I can maintain my photos in a single directory if I want (I still use folders though) but use the keywords to create subsets of my images. They are just far better from the rigid folders we are familiar with using today. It is almost like moving the file system into more of a cloud-type file system and I for one have found it extremely useful when done right.

Anyway, it's just thought about a meet in the middle with us folder-folk and the lack of them in today's readers.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #141
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree that tags are potentially even better than folders, but are probably harder to implement on a low-end Reader. Perhaps if a vendor fully embraced Calibre as its off-line catalogue creation tool, then tags would be viable.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #142
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I am with you about folder support. But, would something akin to keyword/category org combined with proper filtering be a viable option? Really folders are just a less flexible precursor to keyword/category organization methods anyway. In fact they allow the easy inclusion of your content in multiple "folders"/groups.
With "flat" tags you cannot have things like sub-sub-sub-folders. So the standard tag implementation is not a superset to folders with respect to representational power.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #143
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
If this gets released in Europe for around the same price then I'll pick one up for my daughter. My wife and I both have cybooks.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #144
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I agree that tags are potentially even better than folders, but are probably harder to implement on a low-end Reader. Perhaps if a vendor fully embraced Calibre as its off-line catalogue creation tool, then tags would be viable.
Most of the readers use Linux.
Linux is perfectly prepared for tags, evem multi level one. On linux it is called symlinks.
Symlink is an alternate name for a file. So you can have file in "main library" flat-type directory and you can create unlimited directories and place symlinks to the file in any number of directories.

see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symlink
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #145
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
On linux it is called symlinks.
Yes, but symlinks are not supported under Windows and SD cards use FAT16 or FAT32 for compatibility.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #146
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Yes, but symlinks are not supported under Windows and SD cards use FAT16 or FAT32 for compatibility.
Yes. That is true.
This complicates the issue considerably.

If you visit the wikipedia link in my post you will see that Windows does support a limited implementation of symlinks. You can also see that cygwin implements symlinks on windows filesystem using standard lnk and a few clever hacks
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #147
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Creating and maintaining folders or tags on the reading device itself does not seem the correct approach to me. Eventually your collection will outgrow storage, then what happens? What if you spend all this time organizing and typing in keywords and you trip and drop your reader down a sewer? What if you get another device with different capabilities?

So the catalog should be on a computer/media server/web repository, with proper backup procedures, and you just have a subset on your portable device at any given time (and maybe an offline copy of that subset of the catalog which your device is capable of reading), and a convenient way to download to your device. As such you can have very sophisticated cataloguing abilities without being restricted to the reading device's capabilities. Like iPod+iTunes, or yes, Calibre with your favorite ebook reader.

Ideally, it would all be in the cloud and accessible from anywhere you have an internet connection, work with a variety of media and devices, and handle format conversions and file sharing as permitted by copyright and the permissions you set, etc.

I haven't seen anything yet approaching what I would want to see (well, Kindle has some elements of it) but I expect things will evolve rapidly.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #148
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Quote:
Ideally, it would all be in the cloud and accessible from anywhere you have an internet connection, work with a variety of media and devices, and handle format conversions and file sharing as permitted by copyright and the permissions you set, etc.
Have you been watching the txtr vision ??
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #149
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
So the catalog should be on a computer/media server/web repository, with proper backup procedures, and you just have a subset on your portable device at any given time (and maybe an offline copy of that subset of the catalog which your device is capable of reading), and a convenient way to download to your device.
Who would be hosting this? The company that sold the device? They'd offer this hosting for free? And they wouldn't shut it off if the user got banned from their service? Would the info be transferable when the device is sold?

I don't like online hosting of my personal details. I don't use iTunes. I don't even use Calibre for its library functions; I just convert with it. (Sometimes. Other times, I just make PDFs on small pages & drag & drop them into the memory card.)

Not everyone is going to want to deal with online database archiving, especially if their internet access is restricted--students using school computers, people on dialup, and so on. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I don't think it's "THE solution," either.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #150
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Well I just watched the video...and I'm sold! if I didn't already have my 505, I'd probably eagerly await May 29th when I could get my hands on one of these. And if it were closer to $150 I would consider buying it to use in addition to my 505. And I will definitely recommend this to people looking for an e-reader. I'll be very interested to hear from people who end up buying these.

I LOVE all the cute colors. I sure wish Sony would've come out with a pink or purple 505!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote