Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Fujitsu FLEPia released!

Yep, Engadget claims Fujitsu's Flepia is finally here, and it's up on Fujitsu's site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget
Featuring an 8-inch XGA screen capable of displaying 260,000 colors, along with Bluetooth, WiFi and up to 4GB of storage via SD card, and measuring less than half an inch thick, FLEPia's not just getting by on color alone. Fujitsu promises 40 hours of continuos use, and the unit can be operated by its touchscreen or the assortment of function buttons. ... FLEPia ships on April 20th in Japan for 99,750 Yen (about $1,010 US).
Press release (in English): link.

Last edited by cerement; 03-18-2009 at 02:37 AM.
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Osen
Osen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Judging from the demo video, I don't think it is current usable. The screen is just too slow.

I frankly don't see how they can reach their sales target of 50,000 by the end of 2010.
Osen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
That looks like something that waiters have in restaurants, and that the delivery guys come to my door with... although theirs are a bit smaller and black in color.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Bleh, LCD screen.... not for me.

But then it get about as good a battery life as the iLiad, and much better than the 10" iRex....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
It's not a lcd screen. It's a color e-paper.
2. Power-efficient color e-paper; enables up to 40-hour continuous battery operation

As the color e-paper employed displays text or images by reflecting external light, FLEPia does not require power to maintain screen display, consuming power only during re-draw (power consumption is approximately just 1/50 that of standard notebook PCs under similar usage conditions). When fully-charged, FLEPia offers up to 40 hours of continuous battery operation (conditions: display of 2,400 pages at 1 page per minute with 64 colors).
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 03:54 AM   #6
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
2. Power-efficient color e-paper; enables up to 40-hour continuous battery operation

As the color e-paper employed displays text or images by reflecting external light, FLEPia does not require power to maintain screen display, consuming power only during re-draw (power consumption is approximately just 1/50 that of standard notebook PCs under similar usage conditions). When fully-charged, FLEPia offers up to 40 hours of continuous battery operation (conditions: display of 2,400 pages at 1 page per minute with 64 colors).
@ my DH! I have just recently, (less than 2 weeks ago) got my Sony PRS-700 imported to Japan, I asked DH to scour the Japanese net and boards for any new reading devices that are out or may be coming out here. I never wanted a small screen! THIS is the type of device I was hoping for. My previous comment about delivery boys etc. was a joke. I know it's not the same thing.
Anyone want a slightly used PRS-700???

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-18-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
2. Power-efficient color e-paper; enables up to 40-hour continuous battery operation....
Thanks, I am eating my "bleh."

Wow! This is something. I want one

8" is a perfect size, me thinks.

But no .mobi format
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Thanks, I am eating my "bleh."
Me too!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:31 AM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

E-paper is a generic term for a whole host of technologies. With the only thing in common being their bistable nature.

It's my understanding that the FLEPia tech is related to LCDs.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
"...displays text or images by reflecting external light"

It's no matter how to call it since there no internal light and it will be good for eyes.

Last edited by searcher; 03-18-2009 at 06:32 AM.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
dragonbone
must love dogs

I'll see if I can find out where to go and see one this weekend.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
@ my DH! I have just recently, (less than 2 weeks ago) got my Sony PRS-700 imported to Japan, I asked DH to scour the Japanese net and boards for any new reading devices that are out or may be coming out here. I never wanted a small screen! THIS is the type of device I was hoping for. My previous comment about delivery boys etc. was a joke. I know it's not the same thing.
Anyone want a slightly used PRS-700???
Wait...

You had to import a device into Japan while the company that makes said device is a Japanese company?

Strange world we live in....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #13
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Wait...

You had to import a device into Japan while the company that makes said device is a Japanese company?

Strange world we live in....
Yeah and I'm real mad at myself now! Not even 2 weeks later!

Oh, I see what you mean. You are talking about the Sony! Yes, that was VERY weird indeed. Also my reader was held up at Japan customs for 4 days! Parcels are usually processed the SAME day. Custom guys must have been scratching their heads, trying to work out why I was importing a SONY product that isn't even available here .

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-18-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
E-paper is a generic term for a whole host of technologies. With the only thing in common being their bistable nature.

It's my understanding that the FLEPia tech is related to LCDs.
Erm... layman's speak please. I'm a bit clueless about these things. Is this e-ink like we have come to know and love in our other reading devices, (ie. Sony, Lindle Iliad etc.) except in COLOR and BIGGER; or not?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Too expensive... but that is hopefully something that is just temporary, color and a larger screen is just what this market needs. Good job Fujitsu!

I would probobly buy one if it was half the price, now I just ave to be one of those who wants it really bad...
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote