Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #46
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
hmm. I think it was an easy read. Took me only several days. Of course I did with a superb translation. Except if you'd read it in French, then...
Not in French, no...

Try reading 1400+ pages in half an hour each morning, and about the same each night, if I didn't fall asleep first. Took me about 3 weeks .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #47
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Now that really messes with the 100 book in 2011 challenge. Just like The Count of Monte Cristo did when I read it earlier in the year - really hammered my average (1400+ pages).

Yea, it does slow you down, but the effort for some books is worth it. One I couldn't finish was Les Miserables. It's longer than War and Peace. There was one chapter devoted entirely to the battle of Waterloo. It was 75 pages long in hardback with miniscule text. The only relation to the story was a couple who were robbing corpses of money, jewlery etc in the aftermath of the battle. It would turn out to be Cossete's adopted family that Jan Valjan rescued her from. I said I had enough and put it down. Someday, maybe I'll try again.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #48
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Yea, it does slow you down, but the effort for some books is worth it. One I couldn't finish was Les Miserables. It's longer than War and Peace. There was one chapter devoted entirely to the battle of Waterloo. It was 75 pages long in hardback with miniscule text. The only relation to the story was a couple who were robbing corpses of money, jewlery etc in the aftermath of the battle. It would turn out to be Cossete's adopted family that Jan Valjan rescued her from. I said I had enough and put it down. Someday, maybe I'll try again.
Les Miserables has been sitting on my shelf, staring at me for years. You just made sure that is where it will stay for a couple of years longer. There are too many books I am keen on reading for me to waste time.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #49
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
I'm currently rereading War and Peace. This will be the third time. I just love the book.
Halfway through the book for the first time and it's just so engrossing. I'm reading an older translation (Maude) and am thinking about rereading it in a more modern version.
Any suggestions? (English, btw) Thanks
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #50
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Heh. Duly noted and accommodated in the poll.
Got a slot for Alcott?
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #51
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Halfway through the book for the first time and it's just so engrossing. I'm reading an older translation (Maude) and am thinking about rereading it in a more modern version.
Any suggestions? (English, btw) Thanks
Yea, I'm reading a very recent translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhnonsky. It's a Kindle book for 8.99. The extra money is worth it. It has a little more footnoted French, but Kindle will go to it and return where you left off. The amount of French is actually making a point in War and Peace. Mostly in Anna Pavlovna's soirees. There are also historical footnotes of interest explaining certain aspects of the war and daily life of the time that I haven't seen in other translations. Again Kindle will navigate to the footnote and return you where you left off. Well worth the 8.99! I highly recommend it.

Just checked this edition can also be had in paperback.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Got a slot for Alcott?
You recall to me a question I've had: do girls read Alcott anymore? I read and reread those books, but I suspect that the language and the setting are too antiquated for today's ten-year old. Not that they weren't antiquated when I read them, but it didn't seem to faze kids then as much.

My favorites were An Old-Fashioned Girl and Jack and Jill, and not the Little Women trilogy--or Little Women alone (make that Little Women plus Good Wives for the British), since Little Men and Jo's Boys weren't very good. I think this holds up; if nothing else, it's hard to forgive Jo for turning down Laurie and taking Professor Bhaer. Staying single, as her doppelganger did, would have been preferable.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #53
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
hmm. I think it was an easy read. Took me only several days. Of course I did with a superb translation. Except if you'd read it in French, then...
I wish I could read in French. I know from experience that a good translation of Dumas makes *all* *the* *difference*. Now if I could only remember which translation of CoMC I read in high school...The best Three Musketeers was the one my mom had from college (back in the early 60's). My daughter has run off with it, so I can't tell anyone which one it was now. I'll give everyone this tip though: If you're not laughing by the third page, get a different one. The Three Musketeers is hilarious, which fact serves to offset the tragedy of the story.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #54
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Not in French, no...

Try reading 1400+ pages in half an hour each morning, and about the same each night, if I didn't fall asleep first. Took me about 3 weeks .
ah, I see.

Quote:
whoo hoo, you couldn't put up with the Waterloo battle but had finished the whole first volume without complaining?? I mean the long, long, loooooong part about Bishop Myriel, while he didn't play any important role in the story? That was a long time ago, and I can only guess - that irrelevant part was like some hundred pages to me. The MOST boring stuff I've ever encountered. Apart from War and Peace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Les Miserables has been sitting on my shelf, staring at me for years. You just made sure that is where it will stay for a couple of years longer. There are too many books I am keen on reading for me to waste time.
It's more interesting than you give it credit for. I assure you. That is, if you survive some first hundred pages without going to MobileRead and blame me for my recommendation... It took me 2 years to push myself through all the boring things at the beginning - you know the style the French folks liked to write in those days: wordy descriptions and irrelevant details. I still remember going to a secondhand bookstore, picked up the Les Misérables - it came in 4 old, thick, dusty and fuzzy books. The lines were faded and I had to guess in many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
I'll give everyone this tip though: If you're not laughing by the third page, get a different one. The Three Musketeers is hilarious, which fact serves to offset the tragedy of the story.
that explains why I didn't enjoy The 3 Musketeers! I thought, "Duh, this bores me to death!" and wondered why people kept reading it!
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #55
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Dante's Inferno

The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus

The Art Of War
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #56
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
that explains why I didn't enjoy The 3 Musketeers! I thought, "Duh, this bores me to death!" and wondered why people kept reading it!
I just found this:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...ar-422125.html

I may have to check out this new translation.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #57
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Another fan of the Count of Monte Cristo here. I've read it countless times (ugh, bad pun) and never tire of it. Nothing grabs my undivided attention and admiration like thorough revenge. It's appeals to my inner Klingon.

And I'm going to have to try and fine a good translation of The Three Musketeers. Suggestions are welcome.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #58
wellreadfred
wellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura aboutwellreadfred has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Nexus 7
Hi all

My favorite classic would be Walden by Henry David Thoreau. I have re-read it over and over through the years.

peace & happy reading,
wellreadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #59
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
short stories- Sherlock Holmes series
novel- Wuthering Heights
poetry- Palgrave's Golden Treasury anthology

And I don't know that I would re-read it, but Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens made a huge impression on me. It's a timeless story of a guy who thinks he's All That while the universe tries to humble him into noticing that he maybe isn't.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #60
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Moby Dick. Still one of the best books about madness.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote