Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
rwchu2000
rwchu2000 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I would like to get a new ebook reader

Hi!

I have been using mobile devices (Palm, Windows Mobile devices) to read ebooks for many years. The main advantges of such devices is that they are highly portable and one can use it every where. The disadvantages are its small screen size and eye discomfort after reading for over 30 minutes. Therefore I am actively looking for another ebook reader. I am considering buying the Sony PRS-505 but I am still thinking of ther alternatives such as the Kindle DX, PRS-700. I am not sure if I should wait for a few more months as there seems to be some good ebook readers coming up to the market. (However, I am not a patient person and I don't think I can wait that long!).
If you have good experience in using some of the ebook readers on the market, please share them so that people like me who are looking for a good ebook reader can make better decision.
rwchu2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd suggest waiting a month or so to see what 5" eInk devices arrive. I think at least two are due in the next month - the Bookeen Opus and Astak also have one coming out.

They have the same number of pixels (600x800) as the 6" models, just on a smaller screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwchu2000 View Post
Hi!

I have been using mobile devices (Palm, Windows Mobile devices) to read ebooks for many years. The main advantges of such devices is that they are highly portable and one can use it every where. The disadvantages are its small screen size and eye discomfort after reading for over 30 minutes. Therefore I am actively looking for another ebook reader. I am considering buying the Sony PRS-505 but I am still thinking of ther alternatives such as the Kindle DX, PRS-700. I am not sure if I should wait for a few more months as there seems to be some good ebook readers coming up to the market. (However, I am not a patient person and I don't think I can wait that long!).
If you have good experience in using some of the ebook readers on the market, please share them so that people like me who are looking for a good ebook reader can make better decision.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello rwchu2000, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome word7.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	31781 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi rwchu2000 and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 for over a year and a half and really like it.

I used to read on an iPaq and liked it fine but an eInk device is much better for the reasons you cite.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, rwchu2000!

I have Sony 700 and love it! I really like the touchscreen capability even though there the screen is not as clear as the 505. I'm not a very patient person, either. Having worked in a computer technology field, I learned that there is always going to be new technology coming out, so if you continue to wait for the "next best thing", you'll never actually buy anything. If you really want a reader, go for it! Get the one that best meets your needs now. If you go to this link of the WIKI, you will be able to look up the specs on many different types of readers:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

Good luck making your choice and Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello rwchu2000 --- and welcome to MobileRead. I own both a Sony PRS-505 and a Kindle (1). I bought my 505 second-hand and a second-hand Kindle (1) for my daughter, so if you're impatient and wanting to save some money, I can recommend checking out the availability of used readers. I'm looking closely at the 5" readers that will be coming from Astak and Bookeen and the Jetbook also looks good.

I think that making your decision should be based on the type of reading that you do. If you're primarily reading classics or if you're heavily into Science Fiction and Fantasy, you can probably get by with any reader regardless of which format(s) it supports. That's because there are tons of DRM-free books available from MobileRead, Feedbooks, Manybooks, and Munsey's -- among others. And, you can purchase DRM-free books from Fictionwise and Baen/Webscriptions.

Unfortunately, most current-release books are only available with DRM encryption/protection. You'll want to spend some time looking at which DRM formats a given device supports and which store(s) sell those formats and what prices they charge. That may help you decide which reader will be the best for you.

Kaz has already provided a link to the Wiki with its description of the various readers and their technical capabilities. The Wiki also has a list of the known book stores.

Good luck -- I'm sure you'll figure out which reader you want and be on your way to obtaining one.

And again, welcome to MobileRead.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

I love my Sony 505, and even though the 700 came out not long after I got mine, I totally didn't care. Still super duper happy with it It does exactly what I want to do, so I'm really not looking for more!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
rwchu2000
rwchu2000 began at the beginning.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I would like to use the device to read novels as well as my professional documents and medical ebooks, many of which are very large size pdf files. I have read through many of the discussions on this forum and am considering getting the iRex iLiad or s1000, which many consider good for reading pdf ebooks. However, the price is not cheap and in fact is more expensive than many of the netbooks. I am wondering whether it is a good idea to use UMPC (such as the viliv x70, which has a 7" screen and weighs just 660g with battery, which is not very much heavier than the iLiad). The price of the viliv x70 is probably lower than the iRex s1000 and one can use it for other purposes besides reading ebooks.
rwchu2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Please check out the Astak thread on MobileRead Forum

Please check out the designated Astak forum on MobileRead Forum.

I work for Astak and we make eBook Readers such as the Pocket PRO.

If you want to read both novels and some work papers, Astak may be ideal for you as it has Adobe Digital Editions DRM plus 20 other formats.

You can also go to our website: www.theEZreader.com or read about the Pocket PRO on my blog: www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com

I hope you will note that Astak is the only manufacturer with a representative from the company always on MobileRead Forum. I think that speaks volumes about our customer service. The Pocket PRO costs $199 and that includes the leather case and the ear buds! Pick a color!!

Welcome to MobileRead Forum!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote