Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Parastie
Parastie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (hopefully)
Max file size?

I have a textbook in CHM format that's nearly 230MB in size. Now, I'm aware that I need to change this into some other format (and unzipping the CHM creates thousands of html pages and jpeg images that I'm trying to sort through), but what I want to know is how well will the PRS-700 handle such a large book in different formats?

I'm hoping (once I get my hands on one) to load several different text books that will likely be similar in size that I can search through to find important and relevant information for my class quicker and easier then dragging around several kilos worth of books.

Has anyone loaded large books (200+MB) in epub, mobi, or any other format into the 700? How well does it work? Does search work okay? How about rapidly flipping to another section of the book? Do large images slow things down?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Parastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
First off, you'll need to create an LRF file using Book Designer or Calibre (I think it can do what you need) to turn that combination of html and jpegs into an ebook.

Then you'll know how big the file will be. The largest file I've opened is 125MB and it opened and the pages turned just fine.

Large images don't seem to slow the reader down, but then again it depends on what you mean by "large." Do you mean large as in dimensions across and down or do you mean large as in containing tons of data? I'm not sure it matters other than for legibility -- if you want to read what's in those graphics you may well end up having to zoom in to actually read it.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Parastie

The images are not too important, this is a medical book and anything except color isn't really useful. They are useful in the sense of keeping everything organized along with the paper copy of the book I own. Tables, I hope, would stay the same.

I've been playing around with Calibre to try to turn the book into some other format, but what it calls the first page of the book isn't, and when i try to go the 'second' page, it jumps to another section of the book. I think the html might be too large for calibre to handle.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
from your Needs,, it makes me feel that an Ipod touch would be a better device for you.

you get color pictures, small pocket size, search and everything else you require. and it has Native support for CHM (though programs you can get at the App store)

the 700 and other ebook readers are mainly for reading Novels, Not refrence manuals
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
I'm testing the limits of the PRS-700 right now. I have a PDF file of a 10-volume encyclopedia that has over 9,000 pages. I've used Acrobat Professional to optimise and reduce file size. It's now loaded onto my PRS-700. Flipping page to page seems okay but I just accessed the TOC and it's now "spinning" and taking a long time. Maybe it's indexing the bookmarks or something like that. I hope it works because having access to this encyclopedia on my reader would be very useful.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #6
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*gasp* it works!! Thanks to Acrobat 9 professional! When I first uploaded the file without optimisation and reduction, the PRS-700 was spinning for hours and I finally reset it. Then I went back to the computer to optimise and reduce the file size. There wasn't much reduction but the optimisation must have helped because it now works!! *whew*
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Parastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
from your Needs,, it makes me feel that an Ipod touch would be a better device for you.

you get color pictures, small pocket size, search and everything else you require. and it has Native support for CHM (though programs you can get at the App store)

the 700 and other ebook readers are mainly for reading Novels, Not refrence manuals
The ipod Touch/iPhone isn't good because the screen is too small. I already have an iPhone with stanza and it's not good at all for reference material. I don't need the color pictures for refrence, I need the text. Flipping through over 1000 pages of material to find what you're looking for is not good on the iPhone. Not to mention the short battery life when the screen is on for long periods of time. Trust me, the iPhone is not a good reading platform.

@thibaulthalpern

That's very good to know! I'm looking forward to picking up a prs 700 this summer. I'm glad to hear you got it working.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

a bit of an update:

So what I have said so far about the PRS-700 reading large PDFs file is true with one little caveat:

I've now experienced that if I switch from that large PDF file to another book and then back to that PDF, the PRS-700 will take the same amount of time to open the file as it did when it was initially first opened. There is a bit of a wait. The same goes with opening the Table of Contents.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

OH yes, the iPhone and iPod touch are horrible platforms for doing most kinds of readings.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I'm testing the limits of the PRS-700 right now. I have a PDF file of a 10-volume encyclopedia that has over 9,000 pages. I've used Acrobat Professional to optimize and reduce file size. It's now loaded onto my PRS-700. Flipping page to page seems okay but I just accessed the TOC and it's now "spinning" and taking a long time. Maybe it's indexing the bookmarks or something like that. I hope it works because having access to this encyclopedia on my reader would be very useful.
One thing that will help since toy have Acrobat Pro is to crop the margins. That way it will display better on the 6" screen and possibly might be decent enough to display as is without the need to go larger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
OH yes, the iPhone and iPod touch are horrible platforms for doing most kinds of readings.
The only good thing about the iPod touch is that I can now take advantage of the free eBooks from Amazon and if they are not Topaz, I can liberate them easily and place them on my 505 after a simple DRM disinfection and Calibre conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote