Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #61
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Device: Sony Xperia Arc; Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The "Home" button function is simple: Press it and the home screen is displayed. There are no options in the Library view to get back to the Home screen. When reading a book, the bottom menu will show a path back to wherever you opened the book from. So, if you opened it from the Home screen, it has the "Home". The other places it will hold is "Library" and "Search". The only other way I can think of to return to the home screen from a book is to finish it.
Thanks for the info, davidfor, I'll be sure to comment on returning to the Home screen on the Glo.
9littlebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #62
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9littlebees View Post

I stare at LCD monitors all the time for work and for two of my major hobbies (programming and digital photography), plus I am often using my Android phone for the usual texting/emailing/random smartphoning, so the appeal of an ink reader is quite high. As I mentioned earlier, the only time I really have to read normally is at night in bed, so the innovation of built in lighting to an ereader is a huge pus for me, and the main reason I decided to buy one.
Soooo on the same page. Plus reading on my smartphone during the day on the bus and such drains the battery too much and isn't all that pleasant on a 4.3 inch screen.

Quote:

For anyone interested, my photography website is fotokay.net.
I checked it out, and I have to say I like your work. Any chance I could get a copy of the mantis one? I'd love to have it as a wallpaper on my tablet (maybe also the parade one). Don't worry, I'll respect your wishes if you say no, I won't try to finagle it by disabling scripts or some underhanded method. And one more question about the pics... is that you and your girlfriend? Or just some wedding you crashed

Quote:

Again, these are things I am planning on addressing. My girlfriend is German and I speak the language at an intermediate level, so displaying non-English characters (umlaut, esszet, grav, circumflex, etc) is one big element I plan on looking into. I will ensure that I look at all the supported languages and will endeavour to find an ebook in the relevant language to test whether the script is displayed correctly. I can't stress supported enough, though. If Kobo do not support a non-Latin alphabet (i.e. Cyrillic, Arabic, Japanese), then I will obviously not be able to test it. I'll be providing a full list of supported and availabe languages in the review, naturally, as well as commenting on how much space they take up on that 1GB system partition (if I can figure out where they're stored!).
Well, obviously. It would be too much to ask you to check for every language. Especially as languages which aren't officially supported could possibly be properly displayed on one font but not another. Plus there's also the fact that you might not know if they are displayed correctly if instead of the funky empty boxes they just display a wrong character (which is what actually happens with text messages over here if you use accents on any vowel/letter except "e", and they charge you double to boot). But if one day you got REAAALLY bored and decided to test out every language in the world, one by one, I wouldn't complain

Quote:

As mentioned in a previous post, although not displayed on the kobo website, a bit of digging on the interwebs turns up a Kobo Glo factsheet, which provides data for the following supported formats:

EPUB, PDF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, TXT, HTML, RFT, CBZ, CBR.
Sorry about that, I missed that post. And I mean that literally since I tried to read the entire thread (thought I had though I obviously missed at least one post) as I hate to repeat questions/suggestions/comments that have already been made. Down with litter I say, even digital litter.

And yeah, I didn't really contribute anything to the thread witht his post...But I did feel the need to say that I liked your pics
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #63
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Sorry for the late reply, I've had a crazy week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
Soooo on the same page. Plus reading on my smartphone during the day on the bus and such drains the battery too much and isn't all that pleasant on a 4.3 inch screen.

I checked it out, and I have to say I like your work. Any chance I could get a copy of the mantis one? I'd love to have it as a wallpaper on my tablet (maybe also the parade one). Don't worry, I'll respect your wishes if you say no, I won't try to finagle it by disabling scripts or some underhanded method. And one more question about the pics... is that you and your girlfriend? Or just some wedding you crashed
No problem at all! I'll PM you the link once I manage to upload the relevant photos. I need to dig them out when I get some time, so it may be several days. The wedding photos were for a wedding where I was the main (i.e. paid) photographer, as are the engagement shots.

Quote:
Well, obviously. It would be too much to ask you to check for every language. Especially as languages which aren't officially supported could possibly be properly displayed on one font but not another. Plus there's also the fact that you might not know if they are displayed correctly if instead of the funky empty boxes they just display a wrong character (which is what actually happens with text messages over here if you use accents on any vowel/letter except "e", and they charge you double to boot). But if one day you got REAAALLY bored and decided to test out every language in the world, one by one, I wouldn't complain
Ha, well, I'm testing so many other books, I thought I may as well test the languages display correctly in as many languages as I can get my hands on free ebooks for. Not sure how far I will be able to test it, though.

Quote:
Sorry about that, I missed that post. And I mean that literally since I tried to read the entire thread (thought I had though I obviously missed at least one post) as I hate to repeat questions/suggestions/comments that have already been made. Down with litter I say, even digital litter.

And yeah, I didn't really contribute anything to the thread witht his post...But I did feel the need to say that I liked your pics
No worries about the missed post. This thread has gotten a lot longer than I thought it would. And thanks very much for the compliments on my photos!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #64
9littlebees
Connoisseur

I am now in possession of my Glo. My next post on this thread will be the one pointing you to the new thread, that of the review itself.

I am hoping to complete the review sometime this weekend. If anyone has any further points they would like me to address, consider this your last opportunity!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #65
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Good luck making the review!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #66
gjergji
gjergji began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

As mentioned in a previous post, although not displayed on the kobo website, a bit of digging on the interwebs turns up a Kobo Glo factsheet, which provides data for the following supported formats:

EPUB, PDF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, TXT, HTML, RFT, CBZ, CBR.
So I was under the impression that KOBO, and expecially Kobo Glo handled the unencrypted .mobi format.

Does "Kobo GLO" support mobi format?

Last edited by gjergji; 10-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.
gjergji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #67
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjergji View Post
So I was under the impression that KOBO, and expecially Kobo Glo handled the unencrypted .mobi format.

I'll be covering this in the review, but converting a Kindle ebook to epub was effortless in Calibre and loads (and looks) fine on the Glo.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #68
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjergji View Post

Kobo Touch handles mobis, they stopped supporting mobis in the Glo though.

But as 9littlebees says, you can easily format a mobi to an epub with Calibre.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #69
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Thinking about this a bit more, I suppose native support for MOBI files would be ideal (more supported formats = a more open device), but at least I can still buy books on Amazon if they're either

a) unavailable elsewhere or
b) cheapest on Amazon, and know that I can read them on my Glo.

If native MOBI support is a must-have feature, you'll need to look elsewhere. For my part, I'm not bothered about it not being there.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #70
iTomath
iTomath began at the beginning.

Device: None yet.
Hello 9littlebees,

Would you be able to include your thoughts on the responsiveness of the touch screen and also Wikipedia support in your review? I am seriously considering getting a Kobo Glo, but then I am also considering importing a Kindle Paperwhite. There are clearly pros and cons to both, one major thing for me being able to look up words in the dictionary and on Wikipedia.

From the videos I have seen so far and also from me testing the Kobo Touch in the shop, I am quite disappointed at how hard it seems to be to select snippets of text without lag. (The lag causing you to select either too much or too little, which is frustrating.)

Thanks for taking your time to do this review!
iTomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #71
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
There's no direct 'search Wikipedia' feature on the Kobo - but it does use the Miriam Webster English Dictionary - and has built in translation dictionaries for several languages. I am happy to report that the web browser works well with Wiki, and rendering pages and scrolling are very responsive.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #72
iTomath
iTomath began at the beginning.

Device: None yet.
Ah ok. How easy is it to open the browser, go to Wikipedia, search and then come back to the book? - I read a lot of Non-fiction and so need to be able to research certain subjects easily.

Also, is the dictionary functional in PDFs and other content not sourced from Kobo?

Thanks.
iTomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #73
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTomath View Post
Ah ok. How easy is it to open the browser, go to Wikipedia, search and then come back to the book? - I read a lot of Non-fiction and so need to be able to research certain subjects easily.

Also, is the dictionary functional in PDFs and other content not sourced from Kobo?

Thanks.
You can open the settings menu by bringing up the interface by hitting the bottom-middle area. From there, open up the Extras, then Browser. If you've set Wiki as the homepage, that loads decently. But you'll have to open up the book from the home screen, as exiting the browser dumps you back there by default.

The dictionaries work in side loaded ePub files and PDF's, but in PDF files, you can't just highlight a word and get the definition, the way you do in kePub and ePub files. In the latter, you just hit the dictionary/book icon, select Dictionary, then type the search term.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #74
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Oops, accidental post, sorry!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #75
9littlebees
Connoisseur

Right, this review is taking a lot longer to write than I thought it would - sorry everyone! Yesterday turned into a bit of a nightmare due to some car issues that needed sorting out, which pretty much killed a big chunk of time I had to write this thing. Also made some plans with the missus for today, so I'm a bit behind.

Anyway, I'll work on it during the week and hopefully I'll be able to get it out by next weekend.

Tags
glo, hands-on, kobo, questions, review