Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Tips on moving to endnotes

I borrowed a library book which had a lot of endnotes that I want to flick back and forward from. Has anyone had success in using this feature? If I touch the note number it usually does a page turn. I can get it to work if I have the font really large but this is not practicable. I'm using firmware version 1.9.14.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm reading a book with endnotes also. Just hold the endnote a little longer.

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-28-2011 at 06:12 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I also ended up trying pressing a little longer - but it seems more about hitting the end note exactly right - very difficult when its just a * or a single digit. If you hold too long you get the highlight icons anyway.

I'm not sure how it can be dealt with - it was one of the concerns I had moving away from using buttons to move a cursor. Maybe with practice... But maybe the Kobo could be more generous with the area around a link to make it easier to hit - that might interfere with paging or highlighting a little, but seems a reasonable tradeoff. A pinch to zoom might also be an option (since switching to slider takes a bit more time).

One thing I've noticed with footnotes/endnotes is that when it changes to the endnote it only shows the message 'press back' and shows the <-Back menu at the bottom for a couple of seconds. Then you have to press the Reading menu area to get it to show up again. It would be much better if it stayed open permanently and allowed you to close it with a normal tap on the text if you need that much room.

I also had an issue where hitting Back didn't go back to where my endnote tag was. I thought this was general but I tried another book and it worked ok. I think the first one maybe didn't have a link from the endnote back to the text, but I don't know why it would need one - shouldn't that page be 'bookmarked' so that Back always works?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds odd.

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-28-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
To explain that a bit more - In the one book where the endnote back isn't working right, I click on the * indicating an endnote in the text - doesn't matter what the font size is. It correctly jumps me to the Notes page where the note is, but when I bring up the Reading Menu and tap on Back, it stays on the same Notes page instead of going back to where the '*' was in the text. I then tap to bring up the Reading menu again and this time the word Back has been replaced by Home - which of course I don't want. I'm sure it might be something in the way this particular book does the endnotes that's confusing things, but its definitely odd.

And just now I tapped page forward on the Notes page which was a only couple pages from the end and I suddenly jumped back to the Home screen and my book was no longer in the carousel! I assume because it thinks I finished it. It might be a good idea for the Kobo to put up a Done screen/confirm to go Home/mark read notice - sometimes I do like to go back a few pages after reaching the end to check something, even though in this case I was just testing endnotes.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired

Maybe it's a bug in the firmware, has it been any better in previous firmwares?

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-28-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I'm reading a book with endnotes also. Just hold the endnote a little longer.
I did try that but like meme got the highlight icon. I guess it's just practice. I've not seen the back at all once I managed to move to the endnote, though I did discover that if you touch the endnote number it does take you back to where you were in the text.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm having mixed results trying to traverse links, and I'm getting frustrated.

I tried tap and hold, but that didn't seem to work.

I tried triple tap, and that seems to work for the table of contents (at the beginning of the book), but couldn't get it to work to get to an endnote. Once I was was at an end note, I was able to triple tap on the link that that linked back to the page. I'll also add that the triple tap is very unreliable; I'm just as likely to advance the page as traverse the link.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I am also having problems with links. I have a book with a TOC as part of the text (ie not separate). The links all work correctly on other readers, however, on my kobo touch they don't work at all. They either result in a page turn, or if I press and hold, one word shows the highlight icons.

I'm on the latest firmware but can't comment on what it was like before this as I hadn't noticed but I also haven't read books with many links before this.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Thra11
Thra11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm having problems with footnote links too. I have managed to follow the links back to the body text after manually turning to the end of the book to read the footnotes, but despite trying repeatedly, I still haven't once succeeded in following a footnote link from the body text. Like others, I either get page turns/menu or highlighting for dictionary look-up.

Suggested solutions:
a) Disable page-turns for a region around the footnote. (Could occasionally make it more difficult to turn a page with lots of footnotes)
b) Have one of the menus (either the highlighting one or the usual one-tap settings menu) have an option listing the footnote links on the current page.
c) Define a gesture for following links.
Thra11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
BigJ
BigJ began at the beginning.

In my limited experience (firmware v1.9.14) it seems to depend on the size (width) of hyper link. By experimenting, a double tap of a internal TOC worked OK, but never got anyway with single character links for footnotes.
BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote