Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
calibre and Kobo Vox

I have a Kobo Vox on order and I currently use calibre and plan to continue to use calibre. Should I have any concerns about calibre being compatible with the Kobo Device which has an Android 2.3 OS?

If compatibility problems are anticipated I will need to cancel my order or return. Any idea, at this point, if compatibility is likely or unlikely to be an issue?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
scrabblelady
scrabblelady began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I got the Kobo Vox today and I don't believe calibre can read it (yet). The only support for Kobo devices is a generic "Kobo Reader". Mind you, I'm brand new to calibre and may be missing something, but I don't see the device icon appear on the toolbar when I attach my Kobo. I know there's a help page associated with calibre that informs how to get your device included, so I'll try to do that.
scrabblelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
ReneJ
ReneJ began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
I use calibre and just picked up the Kobo Vox today. The only way I got it to work was to save the output file to a microSD card, then pop the card into the e-reader. Then it worked - flawlessly.
ReneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I'm transferring wirelessly by setting up Calibre as a catalogue in Aldiko and using the Calibre server. Name the catalogue whatever you want (I always use Calibre) and then enter the catalogue url.
Use this format: http://192.168.1.xxx:80xx
xxx.xxx.x.xxx is your IP address, the last 3 digits can vary depending on your router (do a command prompt "ipconfig", your IP address will be the IPv4 one, google "how to IPconfig" if you are uncertain how to do this, lots of explanations on web)
80xx is for the port Calibre uses (usually 8080), you can check that in the Calibre Preferences menu, in the Sharing over the Net.

PS: using Calibre wirelessly in Aldiko gives you a number of ways to choose which books to transfer including Newest, by Author, by Title, by Publisher, by Rating, series or tags...It also allows you to see the book's metadata before you decide to download with cover art and product description. It also allows you to find and read all your books from any source not just Kobo.
Yes, I could find the book on my SD card once I've copied to it from the computer but the beauty of the Calibre server is that everything is organized and browseable! From anywhere you have wireless! Love it!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 02-20-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: corrections/clarifications
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

SO I can get it to work wirelessly yet, even though I put in the correct info. So I downloaded some news and hooked up the USB. It worked but I have no idea where calibre put the stuff?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
whitcoulls paula
whitcoulls paula began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch, kobo vox, sony PRS650
i'm going to try to set it up wirelessly today, as I have a lot of publisher pdf's that I convert in Calibre, but @ReneJ, how did you find the file on the SD card? I transfered one to the card but can't get the Vox to pick it up from anywhere. Except music or photos, as it has no trouble working out what should open that.
whitcoulls paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
The "stuff" gets put on the extsd folder, in ebooks folder. You will need a file explorer app such as Astro or ES File Explorer to find unless you are using Aldiko as your reading app, in which case you find the books by going to Store and then Files, ebooks. In the Kobo app, import the books and the app should find them with no problem.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
lucknow123
lucknow123 began at the beginning.

ok so i'm completely new to this and it may have already been said but i need instruction in very plain terms how I get books i've added to my kobo vox with calibre to show up. I can see them in a ebook folder when i go in through my computer. But how do I get them in my kobo library? or do i need to download an app or something? help me please!
lucknow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #9
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow123 View Post
ok so i'm completely new to this and it may have already been said but i need instruction in very plain terms how I get books i've added to my kobo vox with calibre to show up. I can see them in a ebook folder when i go in through my computer. But how do I get them in my kobo library? or do i need to download an app or something? help me please!
couple of extra steps after transferring them using calibre

1. open up the library on the Vox
2. press the middle button on the Vox (at the bottom) and select import

This will then scan the Vox for books, after its finished press import selected
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
lucknow123
lucknow123 began at the beginning.

Thank you so much!!
lucknow123 is offline   Reply With Quote