Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Worthless sizes

One of the so-called good things about reflowableness in epubs is being able to make a formerly non-large print book into one on the fly. Trouble is, the set sizings in ADE (and hence, ADE-powered readers) is the default percentage changes with the make-text-larger-or-smaller buttons. I haven't gotten my pica-pole out yet, but it kinds looks sorta like this:

xx-small 75% x-small 89% small 89% medium 100% large 120% x-large 150% xx-large 200%

Now, maybe it's just me, but those ratios suck. I mean, really, who reads anything on the biggest sizes?

Anybody find a clever way to control that a little tighter? Say, ranging from 80% to 130% scale, maybe with a redefinition in the css? (I haven't found anything that works yet).

And is Adobe/Sony/B&N looking at and working on something like this? Infinite control would be better, guys...

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can always change it in the CSS, but I agree, the scales should be better.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
I mean, really, who reads anything on the biggest sizes?
People with visual impairments. Who, from what I've heard, love that you can significantly scale up the font size in ebooks.

That said, yes, user-configurable zoom levels would be great.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
People with visual impairments. Who, from what I've heard, love that you can significantly scale up the font size in ebooks.
Well, my father had that, but the size choices available were right around and between what he could make out vs make sense out of. Sure, it was easier to see the biggest size possible, but that made, in most cases, a whole sentence take several screen changes, rendering the read nonsensical if he got distracted. We found he could see things at a size down, but what he really needed was something in between. Hence my need for re-scaling what the size change doohickeys do.

Still haven't found any code that renders control over that yet.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
One of the so-called good things about reflowableness in epubs is being able to make a formerly non-large print book into one on the fly. Trouble is, the set sizings in ADE (and hence, ADE-powered readers)
The sizings are set in ADE not in RMSDK (it's RMSDK powered readers, not ADE powered readers btw). This font sizing is a choice of the RMSDK implementers, not enforced by RMSDK itself (it does however interact with the CSS in the document). You can look at the B&N Nook Color (or N2E), Bluefire Reader (Mac or Android) and ADE and see different font sizing selections, for instance.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well, my father had that, but the size choices available were right around and between what he could make out vs make sense out of. Sure, it was easier to see the biggest size possible, but that made, in most cases, a whole sentence take several screen changes, rendering the read nonsensical if he got distracted. We found he could see things at a size down, but what he really needed was something in between. Hence my need for re-scaling what the size change doohickeys do.

Still haven't found any code that renders control over that yet.
What you could do is put PRS+ on the Sony and use the code for changing the font for also changing the font size. It may or may not work depending if other CSS styles change the main text size. But if you edit each ePub, it is fairly easy to sort it out. Of course, maybe the PRS+ developers can sort out the font size issues.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
The sizings are set in ADE not in RMSDK (it's RMSDK powered readers, not ADE powered readers btw). This font sizing is a choice of the RMSDK implementers, not enforced by RMSDK itself (it does however interact with the CSS in the document). You can look at the B&N Nook Color (or N2E), Bluefire Reader (Mac or Android) and ADE and see different font sizing selections, for instance.
So, is there something on the nook that, when I select "Larger Text" on the device, that I, as the book designer, can control the percentage of biggerness that happens, and not the machine default? (the machine defaults on the devices I've seen seem to be related to the scale I mentioned above, which doesn't work for me). Lookin' for an override control, I am I am.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
So, is there something on the nook that, when I select "Larger Text" on the device, that I, as the book designer, can control the percentage of biggerness that happens, and not the machine default?
I'd be surprised if there were.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
So, is there something on the nook that, when I select "Larger Text" on the device, that I, as the book designer, can control the percentage of biggerness that happens, and not the machine default? (the machine defaults on the devices I've seen seem to be related to the scale I mentioned above, which doesn't work for me). Lookin' for an override control, I am I am.
No. The parameters I was talking about work as follows, on most of the Nooks. There is UI to present the user with a list of font size (among a list of other choices - line spacing, justification, margins). As a UI decision there is a fixed list of choices for the user (rather than just bigger/smaller). This fixed list of sizes (hardcoded in) results in the Nook UI telling the RMSDK what the point size for 1em should be, based upon the user selection.

Also I am more sympathetic to the idea of user control than author control of the reading experience (for the things such as font, spacing, etc...), since my personal choices in reading will be different than yours
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
since my personal choices in reading will be different than yours
Yeah, but we all know I'd be right.

-bjc