Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
tc1970
tc1970 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, iPad 1
Support of Japanese pdf files ?

I am learning Japanese in Germany.
Does the Sony Reader supports Japanese PDF files ?
Japanese characters mostly requires Unicode.
tc1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If the fonts are embedded in the PDF file, it will work; if not, it won't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
or, you could rasterize the PDF using Rasterfarian or PDFRead and wouldn't have to worry about potential problems with embedded fonts. I'm not sure which way is easier though, because a) embedding the fonts will increase the file size slightly and b) rasterizing the PDF could potentially increase the size as well. If I were interested in this endeavor, I'd probably try the raster approach first and fall back on the embedded second, that way I would know the PDF would be readable on the Reader (you know, all the filters/transformations done on the original to suite the Reader interface).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Tluong
Tluong began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook & Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1970 View Post
I am learning Japanese in Germany.
Does the Sony Reader supports Japanese PDF files ?
Japanese characters mostly requires Unicode.

If you can have Japanese MS Word file (.doc) than You can try this way:

First having the Japanese files in MS Word format (original or by converting) than go to this website: http://85.17.201.208/bookmaker/ to convert them to Sony Reader PDF, I used this way to have the PDF files in my Vietnamese language.
Tluong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
I have one more option for you. Here's my PRS-505 (.doc) file. This is just a blank document with (I think) the correct dimension of PRS-505 screen. Just copy the text in there and set the font size/justification you want. You can also use the "PRS-505" style which I prefer for English (Constantia, 10.5, full justified). Then save as pdf using the Save as PDF plugins.

There are better way to use Word's function like BookCreator, but this is the simplest way for me.
Attached Files
File Type: doc PRS-505.doc (32.0 KB, 627 views)

Last edited by Hypernova; 08-24-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
avguy
avguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Tluong, can you repost the link to the bookmaker? The current one doesn't work. I have Ms Office 2003 and can't use the Save as PDF plugins as Hypernova suggested. Thanks!
avguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Nick Singh
Nick Singh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
If you want to save a documents in PDF format, then try CutePDF (freeware). This is virtual printer which generates a PDF output.

If you have problems displaying PDF in a foreign language, try converting the PDF to a LRF file via pdflrfwin.exe. This software converts PDF document into LRF image files, so no problems displaying non-standard text, but the font resize does not function.
Nick Singh is offline   Reply With Quote