Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Loss Stop
Enthusiast
Loss Stop is on a distinguished road

Device: kobo 1, prs 350
DRM Free stores

Greetings, new to this ebook thing...
Besides Baen, and Smashwords, what are some other ebook stores which sell DRM free books?

Am I right in thinking that if I want to read anything by a major publisher, it is going to have DRM?
Loss Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loss Stop View Post
Greetings, new to this ebook thing...
Besides Baen, and Smashwords, what are some other ebook stores which sell DRM free books?
That's pretty much it for full blown "stores". Many small digital (or digital first) style publishers also sell their books directly DRM Free. Fictionwise has their multiformat line which includes many of these small pubs and are DRM free.

Quote:
Am I right in thinking that if I want to read anything by a major publisher, it is going to have DRM?
Yep.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
There are also author-owned stores such as Closed Circle. In other words, e-book sites owned by print authors who use these stores to sell their books and the books of other print authors. So far, most of those offer only DRM-sites. It's a fairly new category -- and one that I hope grows.

There are also e-book-only publishers such as Samhain, Elloras Cave, Double Dragon Publishing (DDP). etc. Yes, most of them specialize in erotic romance, but many of them sell other types of books as well. (For example, Samhain sells young adult mystery, urban fantasy, etc. -- just read those content warnings. ;d) Others, such as Double Dragon, sell e-books in a variety of categories, including SF, fantasy, etc. Cerridwen was established by Elloras Cave to offer non-erotic romances as well as other genres. Through Page Turners, Renaissance Ebooks sells mysteries, adventure, etc., including lots of classic pulp fiction reprints.

There is a previous thread on author-owned ebook stores here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75552

These were started by established print authors -- some SF/fantasy authors, some mystery authors, some romance authors. So far, most authors are selling only their older out-of-print titles (because that's all they have the digital rights to). However, in many cases, those are their best books or at least the ones most in demand because they're out of print.

I should mention Macabre Ink Digital because 1) I didn't link to any horror publishers earlier and 2) David Niall Wilson is one of our members.

Last edited by Critteranne; 07-05-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added more word thingies
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Book View Cafe is another one, although some of their stuff is available through Smashwords too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Loss Stop
Enthusiast

Great, thanks guys.
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Pop into the book store section of our publishing site (link below), Loss, and email me with any couple of titles that catch your eye. I'll be happy to send them over with our compliments in the format of your choice. Cheers. Neil -- ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drm_free_green with bb.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	54713  
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Loss Stop
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Pop into the book store section of our publishing site (link below), Loss, and email me with any couple of titles that catch your eye. I'll be happy to send them over with our compliments in the format of your choice. Cheers. Neil -- ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course)
Much thanks Neil, too kind of you.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I wish there was one or two aggregate sites that provides almost everything non-DRM available organized with easy access. The current fragmented system doesnt work for me. Looking and searching a dozen or more websites turns me off. Takes more time selecting the book than reading it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
BooksForABuck (prices range from $1 to $3.99); also has free books & links to other ebook resources. Multiple formats.

Double Dragon publishing; multi-genre publishers; different range of formats for different books.

Comics.Drivethroughstuff.com: PDF comics, RPGs, some novels. A part of the drivethrough collective; they own several domain names with different graphics but access to the same content. (Some content is only visible through specific search on some of the sites.) Some of the PDFs are locked & have social DRM (your name & account number in tiny text on each page); some aren't DRM'd at all. Good prices; quality products. Descriptions include page count & filesize.

Mobileread Wiki's got a section for non-DRM ebook stores.

Not going to list adult/erotica publishers. There are many that sell non-DRM'd ebooks. Many feed their titles through Fictionwise, although some only send selected titles to FW. (If people are actually listed, I'm willing to put together a list of erotica/adult ebooksellers, but I figure it'd mostly be a distraction from the main thread.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Niall.Wils View Post
Thanks for the mention Critteranne - but Macabre Ink isn't the store anymore...things have grown and blossomed. Now there is www.crossroadpress.com/catalog
Ooh, ooh, look at all the horror novels.

I should find something I want there. After all, I named my new netbook "Jigsaw."
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I always post this http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/1...ee-publishers/ site when this subject comes up. Pretty good list...
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm