Quote:
Originally Posted by morituri
I have been reading up a storm over the past couple of weeks:

Starfish and Maelstrom by Peter Watts
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
Raising Atlantis by Thomas Greanias
Ghost by John Ringo
Serenity Movie Adaptation by Keith RA DeCandido

I'm currently reading Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold (#11 in the Barrayar series)
How did you like Anansi Boys? I read the jacket flap of the "hard copy" version in the bookstore a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked interesting.

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #62
morituri
Enthusiast
morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Kindle HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnaryry
How did you like Anansi Boys? I read the jacket flap of the "hard copy" version in the bookstore a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked interesting.
I loved it! Gaiman has an amazing knack of putting seemingly normal people in extraordinary situations (e.g. in Neverwhere and American Gods). Anansi Boys is a bit more down-to-earth, and it moves at a steady pace - I finished the whole book in 2 days.

I got my copy from Fictionwise. As of this writing, Anansi Boys comes with 22% Micropay Rebate so it might be a good deal for you.
morituri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #63
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by morituri
I loved it! Gaiman has an amazing knack of putting seemingly normal people in extraordinary situations (e.g. in Neverwhere and American Gods). Anansi Boys is a bit more down-to-earth, and it moves at a steady pace - I finished the whole book in 2 days.

I got my copy from Fictionwise. As of this writing, Anansi Boys comes with 22% Micropay Rebate so it might be a good deal for you.
Thanks for the 'heads up' and the review too!
I just picked up Stephen King's "Colorado Kid" from eReader, I really like it so far...

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:59 AM   #64
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My current books are (believe it or not), the Hardy Boys Tower Treasure mystery, and an audiobook called the 1st Ladies Detective Agency (which I heard of from an OPML podcast.)

The Hardy Boys book is nice, but very much a teenage book. Guess I've really outgrown it, but it's fun in a nostalgic way, and it's an easy quick read.

The other book is odd. I can't decide yet whether I like it or not. The writing and characters come out naive, but intelligent. There are simplistic and drawn out parts that seem unrelated to anything and devoid of meaning. But then there are other still simplistic parts where there are these very deep observations put into the simplest of terms. The book is full of enough of them to make the slow parts and simplistic plot worthwhile. And the glimpse at a different world and culture is fascinating. I wonder if anyone else has read this one. It seems to have become rather famous.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #65
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've finished the Dune prequels I was reading (and was reasonably happy with them - not up to the standards of the originals but still quite readable).

Since then, I've read finished a novel length Harry Potter fan fiction called "Paradigm of Uncertainty" (tragic I know, but I like the well written ones, and there _are_ some very good ones out there). Set about 10 years after Harry left Hogwarts, it was pretty good.

I'm currently re-reading David Weber's "War of Honor" in the Honor Harrington series, in preparation for the new novel "At All Costs", which is newly released at Baen. The HH series, as I've mentioned before, is military SF at it's best!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #66
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
I loved all the HH books.

I can definately recommend At All Costs too. It was a good book when I read it several weeks ago.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #67
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm about half way through War of Honor now. I should finish it in a few more days, and will start AAC then. By the time I finish that, GRR Martin's A Feast for Crows should hopefully be available in ebook format, and not _too_ expensive!!
Old 11-09-2005, 02:57 AM   #68
Jaapjan
Avid reader

Ah, the bliss of books to read.

I have so many still waiting in my cue to read....so little time...
Old 11-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #69
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Just bought the e-book of George Martin's A Feast for Crows (came out yesterday). Tonight I start reading, probably won't have much sleep at all ...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #70
Jaapjan
Avid reader

I have it here at home too, A Feast for Crows. Haven't got around to it and probably won't yet for a while either.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #71
filip
Addict
filip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheese

Device: n810 -- PRS600
I'm managing to finishing the last of the mars trilogy.
Blue mars by Kim Stanley Robinson in ebooks.

I've decided to no more buying books with drm inside so a Feast for Crow will be on a large delay.
(Last one with a drm is the last R.Hobb, but it was 'free' in micropay at fictionwise at the time).
This decision is in part because I plan one day to buy a linux pda (like the Nokia) in a more or less future.

In paperbook from dead trees, I'm reading a french writer (in french) : La cité du soleil et autres récits héliotropes
from Ugo Bellagamba. A set of 3 novella. I recommend it to you if you can understand french.
filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:33 PM   #72
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I checked Fictionwise and they don't carry A Feast for Crows yet. It's probably not going to be DRM-free any time soon; the most suitable format for you would be .LIT which can be converted to HTML using well-known third party tools...
Old 11-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #73
filip
Addict
filip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheese

Device: n810 -- PRS600
They have released FfC today I think. It's available in Secure Mobipocket/Microsoft Reader/Palm Reader. So effectively bundle with drm.

I haven't tried to unlock a .lit as I have a palm and not a ppc.
But it's more on ethics than in another thing. I don't want to caution the drm in ebooks

Ph
filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:55 PM   #74
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I might be wrong, but I think if you decrypt a legitimately bought .LIT file for your personal use only, in order to be able to read it on your device, then the fair use principle applies.

In general, there is no need to have a Pocket PC for unlocking .LIT files... there are binaries of the required tool available for both Windows and Mac... you get back HTML files which you can then use with your favorite e-book conversion tool (such as iSiloX for iSilo or Sunrise for Plucker).
Old 11-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #75
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

AFFC is definately available on Fictionwise (just checked), in the 3 main formats. It's also got a 30% micropay rebate at the moment, so it's a real bargain!

<repeats to self> Finish David Weber first.... finish David Weber first....