Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
A caution about Amazon shopping

My credit card number was stolen just a few hours after making a purchase from Amazon, someone made a fake card and had some fun at Walmart. I was able to prove it and the money is being refunded by the credit card co but is that fair? I use ONE card for Amazon and don't use it for anything else, so I know it happened there. Trying to decide what to do so I can actually purchase a book. The credit card company suggested purchasing Amazon gift cards at retail stores (and use cash to purchase them). I guess I'll see if that works.

I have Amazon Prime and my husband like to rent movies. I'm sooo annoyed. Even my shampoo was cheaper there.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
I know it happened there.
No, you think it happened there. Running around bad-mouthing Amazon may make you feel better, but you have zero proof that they compromised your card.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Seems more likely you have some sort of malware on your computer than Amazon's security has been breached.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
I'd have to agree that the chances are MUCH greater that the source of your problem lies with your device(s) than with Amazon's servers. I'll assume you're correct that the card you use for Amazon is not used for any other purpose. Do you carry it with you? If so, it's possible that your card info may have been compromised even if the card was not stolen. And rather than signing your card, enter "SEE ID" on the back. It's not a foolproof method but it does discourage use of a stolen card.

Or do you use a public wifi network when ordering from Amazon (e.g. McDonald's, Starbuck's, etc.) If so, it's far more likely that your credit card information was lifted while you were using the card online than that Amazon's own security has been breached. I make it a practice NEVER to use any device on a public network if I have to enter a credit card number. It's risky enough to enter login and password information on a public wifi network but entering a credit card number in McDonald's is equivalent to announcing it in a loud voice.

You can, of course, use a gift card to purchase from Amazon. But as I recall, you cannot attach a gift card in place of credit card on your Amazon Account. And without a credit card, you cannot download digital content (even free content) to your Kindle Fire. An alternative is to purchase a prepaid credit card (My local grocery has them) and place a limited balance on the card.

Last edited by jsh1120; 05-03-2012 at 05:05 PM.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
I agree that the most likely scenario is someone getting your info while you were transmitting it over a network. But if you only use it for Amazon purchases, isn't it on file with Amazon where you don't have to enter it each time you make a purchase?
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
I agree that the most likely scenario is someone getting your info while you were transmitting it over a network. But if you only use it for Amazon purchases, isn't it on file with Amazon where you don't have to enter it each time you make a purchase?
YES!! It was stored at Amazon and ONLY at Amazon. I haven't transmitted it in YEARS, maybe five or more.

I don't carry it with me. I never used it at Mcdonald's, I never use credit cards of any kind at a public network. I can't think of the last time I even used a public network. It is possible I haven't done that in years. The bank knows it was Amazon and eventually, after penetrating many layer of customer service and security--Amazon admits that it was Amazon. It just takes time to sort these things out. I don't suspect my devices at all. The KF is the only "device" I use except for my Mac. The numbers were stored at Amazon, not on the Kindle and weren't transmitted. It is highly unlikely that I have any suspicious software on the Mac. I know it is becoming more common but it remains unlikey. Good Lord, you folks wouldn't believe you were on fire if your shoes were burning and your a** was catching.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Well You NEED a Cr Card to get Prime! MOST Everything else you can use Gift cards for! I buy mine in the local stores!

More than likely you got hacked in Walmart!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Good Lord, you folks wouldn't believe you were on fire if your shoes were burning and your a** was catching.
Well, let's see, I can take the word of a random person on the internet, or I can trust Amazon. For me that is not a tough choice.

As for your bank "knowing" it was Amazon, that's BS. Unless the police have somebody in custody, they have ZERO idea how your card was compromised. As for Amazon admitting to a security breach, let's just say I'll believe it when I hear it from them.

I'm sure you believe what you are saying, but I don't.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
YES!! It was stored at Amazon and ONLY at Amazon. I haven't transmitted it in YEARS, maybe five or more.

I don't carry it with me. I never used it at Mcdonald's, I never use credit cards of any kind at a public network. I can't think of the last time I even used a public network. It is possible I haven't done that in years. The bank knows it was Amazon and eventually, after penetrating many layer of customer service and security--Amazon admits that it was Amazon. It just takes time to sort these things out. I don't suspect my devices at all. The KF is the only "device" I use except for my Mac. The numbers were stored at Amazon, not on the Kindle and weren't transmitted. It is highly unlikely that I have any suspicious software on the Mac. I know it is becoming more common but it remains unlikey. Good Lord, you folks wouldn't believe you were on fire if your shoes were burning and your a** was catching.
beej,

Didn't mean to offend you. As you no doubt realize, questions like the ones raised above are legitimate in cases like yours. I suspect Amazon asked you the same questions.

It IS possible that the problem exists at Amazon. Although I don't recall any case of a large scale breach of security for Amazon's servers (and I'm sure it would have made national news if it has ever occurred), it is certainly possible that an individual Amazon employee may be the culprit.

I've had three similar experiences over the years though none of them involved Amazon and each was caught by my credit card company as a "suspicious" transaction. In each of those cases I'm not sure whether deliberate fraud or simply mistakenly entered credit card numbers were at fault. My most recent experience occurred only three months ago. Had to close the credit card number and have a new number issued to me. PITA but other than having to change a few numbers with merchants who draw automatically from my account periodically no long term problem.

Last edited by jsh1120; 05-03-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you use a MAC, 600,000 of their users were infected with this trojan which could compromise credit card numbers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1405766.html

In addition, one must never give their credit card number to any customer service employees. Any one of them could use it improperly. Also, never give your credit card number to 3rd party vendors at Amazon. Those folks could also have their database compromised.

If Amazon did have their database compromised, it would make headlines and we'd all see it in the news.

The solution, in any event, is have the bank issue a new credit card to you and then change the number at Amazon.

Last edited by sirmaru; 05-03-2012 at 06:35 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
luismonkey
Banned
luismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Yes
I doubt it was amazon's fault. I buy from there almost every day.

Typing this while on fire but not noticing.
luismonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
jsh1120
Connoisseur

This isn't aimed at the OP. Just a general comment about credit card security and people's attitudes about it. One should, of course, be careful in entering a credit card number and other personal information online. But I'm amazed at the number of people who are paranoid about internet security yet hand their credit cards over to a waiter at a restaurant and never think twice about it. In the five minutes between handing the waiter/waitress the card and getting a bill, virtually every piece of information on the card can be copied or used.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
yet hand their credit cards over to a waiter at a restaurant and never think twice about it. In the five minutes between handing the waiter/waitress the card and getting a bill, virtually every piece of information on the card can be copied or used.
This has happened to us twice now in restaurants. You would've thought we'd have learned the lesson the first time, but now when I am in a restaurant I follow the server to the CC machine and wait for my card.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well You NEED a Cr Card to get Prime! MOST Everything else you can use Gift cards for! I buy mine in the local stores!

More than likely you got hacked in Walmart!
I wasn't at Walmart and I didn't use the card at Walmart EVER. The darn thieves used it at Walmart.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
This isn't aimed at the OP. Just a general comment about credit card security and people's attitudes about it. One should, of course, be careful in entering a credit card number and other personal information online. But I'm amazed at the number of people who are paranoid about internet security yet hand their credit cards over to a waiter at a restaurant and never think twice about it. In the five minutes between handing the waiter/waitress the card and getting a bill, virtually every piece of information on the card can be copied or used.
Yes. It's mind boggling. We order take out twice a week and use another card for that. We give them that credit card over the phone. I would have expected it to happen there or at a restaurant. We've decided to do it the old fashioned way. Keep cash for things we might need. But tonight we forgot and hubby handed over his credit card to the waitress.This is going to take some getting used to.