Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch
Covers for books from Adobe DE not showing up on Nook STR

We are testing a nook simple touch reader and we noticed that any books that we sideload from ADE the covers are not showing up.

Our account is authorized to the same email as our nook.

What did we do wrong?
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Most ADE-based readers will use the first page as the cover. iBooks and the Nook STR don't, they actually use a cover image explicitly if there is one.

With purchased books, it pulls the cover image from B&N's database and stores a local copy. If you buy a B&N book, and then sideload the same book, you likely won't get a cover.

However, both iBooks and the Nook STR support one method of covers for side-loaded content: Calibre's cover meta tag. So if you've added a cover into the ePub via Calibre (through conversion, just editing the metadata isn't enough, not sure why not)... then it will show up on the Nook as the cover and you are good to go. Unfortunately, you would need to strip the DRM from the ePub first, which makes the process.... sticky.

If you are adventurous, you could always add it yourself by hand, but I've always found Calibre to be easier and less time consuming to use to embed covers.

Last edited by Kolenka; 07-15-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

So let me get this straight: I purchase a book that has a cover on ade, side load it and the nook str won't load the cover without stripping drm? So once again non b&n books are treated differently? I smell a return coming on! Even my classic nook doesn't have this ridiculous limitation!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
So let me get this straight: I purchase a book that has a cover on ade, side load it and the nook str won't load the cover without stripping drm? So once again non b&n books are treated differently? I smell a return coming on! Even my classic nook doesn't have this ridiculous limitation!
"ADE" books (any ePub) don't have covers. Readers just take the first page and assume it is a cover. This can lead to some really poor looking covers, especially when the ePub doesn't have a cover so much as a title page only, or they didn't use SVG to scale the image correctly in the HTML. Apple and B&N apparently decided that having proper images was a better experience than rendering the first page and hoping it looked okay.

The 1E Nook displays covers for sideloaded books? That's a new one on me. I returned that one because I couldn't get them to how up as anything but a single list that I couldn't even sort the way I wanted to.

Although I will agree it is annoying, since they don't even do anything for PDF files which there's obviously no way to add a separate cover image to.

Last edited by Kolenka; 07-15-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
...just editing the metadata isn't enough, not sure why not...
Actually it works, all you need is to add a metadata field named "cover" with the info for the cover image. That's how I added covers to all my sideloaded books - I open them in the archive manager (equivalent to winzip, but in Linux), and edit the metadata on the fly.

It gets a bit more sporty if you have already a "cover" entry in the metadata, but it is doable.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Actually it works, all you need is to add a metadata field named "cover" with the info for the cover image. That's how I added covers to all my sideloaded books - I open them in the archive manager (equivalent to winzip, but in Linux), and edit the metadata on the fly.

It gets a bit more sporty if you have already a "cover" entry in the metadata, but it is doable.
You are mistaking "Calibre metadata editing" with "ePub metadata editing". Of course it can be done by hand. What I was commenting on is that if I use the Edit Metadata tool in Calibre to add a cover, it doesn't set that field in the opf when I send the ePub to a device (unlike the other fields). You have to run an ePub->ePub conversion to get Calibre to do it for you.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
You are mistaking "Calibre metadata editing" with "ePub metadata editing". Of course it can be done by hand. What I was commenting on is that if I use the Edit Metadata tool in Calibre to add a cover, it doesn't set that field in the opf when I send the ePub to a device (unlike the other fields). You have to run an ePub->ePub conversion to get Calibre to do it for you.
Right, when you said "Editing metadata" I thought you meant the ePub metadata, not Calibre's.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
octoberdana
Enthusiast

Bought a book from kobo and downloaded through adobe de. The cover shows on ip the kobo but not the nook, so clearly this book had a cover and b&n is treating it differently.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Bought a book from kobo and downloaded through adobe de. The cover shows on ip the kobo but not the nook, so clearly this book had a cover and b&n is treating it differently.
Kobo renders the first page as a cover, like the other ADE devices.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
octoberdana
Enthusiast

Well the same book shows up on the kobo touch with a cover and on the nook touch without. Book was side loaded onto both devices using ade.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Well the same book shows up on the kobo touch with a cover and on the nook touch without. Book was side loaded onto both devices using ade.
Again, since you don't seem to understand: Kobo is just showing the first page of the book. It happens to be the cover for that title, but that's not true for all books, so some of your "covers" could actually be the first chapter of the book.

The Nook looks at the <meta> tags to find something that is explicitly the cover, rather than selecting the first page and hoping that's good enough.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
octoberdana
Enthusiast

Okay well on my nook the book has a plain cover with a little nook symbol on it, so I guess that is they are using instead of the first page?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Okay well on my nook the book has a plain cover with a little nook symbol on it, so I guess that is they are using instead of the first page?
Yes, if the book does not have a fully-specified cover they'll use that plain one (with, IIRC, the first bit of the title?).
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
octoberdana
Enthusiast

I have tried everything listed in this thread today and the covers still do not show up on the nook. As this is a deal breaker for me, it will be going back to the store tomorrow and I will return to my nook classic.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sorry it didn't work out for you, octoberdana. I understand your frustrations. I have the same annoyance with the NOOKcolor. I don't know why the NC & STR don't do as other ereaders do and display a better graphic. Since all I want is essentially a thumbnail graphic of the cover or title page to display in my Library and Shelves, it doesn't have to be of the highest quality. I really just don't care for the generic B&N icon.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote