Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Question One of the most basic questions... please don't lough ;)

Hi everyone!

I'm confused... a bit...

As I understand, when an e-reader has a 3G option, one can go on-line anywhere (pretty much like with a mobile phone). Am I right?

Now...
When there is no 3G on a device, one cannot go on-line let's say while on a train. Still right?

Finally... If the device has no 3G but one has a wi-fi connection at home or at work or in a cafe, can one go on-line? I am more inclined to say "yes, one can", but not a 100% sure...

Sorry, for such an ignorant question...
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Can't comment on 3G but if device has WiFi one can go online wherever there is an accessible Wifi connection. Same as a computer or tablet etc.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
LPE, you cannot assume that a reader has wifi.

My jetBook Lite doesn't, for example. I download the books onto my computer and copy them onto my SD card.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur

Oops, sure, missed the WiFi function...

Yes, the e-reader I'm considering has WiFi but no 3G...

So it will connect to the internet as long as there is a WiFi access. Right?
Now I'm almost 100% sure
Old 02-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlanetEarth View Post
Yes, the e-reader I'm considering has WiFi but no 3G...

So it will connect to the internet as long as there is a WiFi access. Right?
Now I'm almost 100% sure
You are right
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Don't know how good access you have to WiFi hotspots in Melbourne, but here in Sweden they are fairly prevalent. I have access to WiFi when riding the bus or train. Walking in any reasonably populated area you will at any time have access to between 3 and 10 APs. The problem is that you are moving so you go in and out all the time. Now, if you have a smartphone with tethering you can use WiFi on your reader and connect it to the phone and that way access the internet from your reader.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
As long as the device you're considering has wifi, and you can access a wifi signal (you may need the network password), you'll be able to access the internet through the ereader.

I can access the internet on my Sony PRS-T1 through the wifi network at my work, for example.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

3G, you can get online where ever your mobile phone can get online.
WiFi, you can get online where ever your laptop can get online.

That description usually works, unless your laptop has special hardware.

If you're getting an e-ink reader, just be advised that the online experience is very different from what you've seen on computers or mobile phones.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot everyone!!

On top of answering my question you've even given me some more things to consider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Don't know how good access you have to WiFi hotspots in Melbourne, but here in Sweden they are fairly prevalent. I have access to WiFi when riding the bus or train. Walking in any reasonably populated area you will at any time have access to between 3 and 10 APs. The problem is that you are moving so you go in and out all the time. Now, if you have a smartphone with tethering you can use WiFi on your reader and connect it to the phone and that way access the internet from your reader.
This is pretty amazing!! In Melbourne we don't have anything like that
Not that I need this The most important for me is to be able to access WiFi.

BWinmil - nice of you to give me the heads up on the browsing matter! From different reviews I've noticed how everyone is complaining about this...

Well, I tend to look at an e-reader as just a greener and sometimes more portable way of reading!
So I don't expect a BOOK (even if it's high-tech) to be readable in darkness of enable me to use internet.
I am more than satisfied with the functions most e-readers have already!!!

Well, I am more than satisfied with the outcome of this thread, so if it is at all possible and if it is a normal practice here, we can call it the day and close the thread...

Just don't know how to do it...
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Ohh, that is actually an added benefit of e-Readers, they almost all have lighted covers as extra accessories. That way you can actually read even when it's pitch dark.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlanetEarth View Post
This is pretty amazing!! In Melbourne we don't have anything like that
Not that I need this The most important for me is to be able to access WiFi.

Well, the obvious answer to that is... Emigrate! Oh, but wait; then you’d have to learn Swedish. Oh well, being bi-lingual can’t be all bad.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Well, the obvious answer to that is... Emigrate! Oh, but wait; then you’d have to learn Swedish. Oh well, being bi-lingual can’t be all bad.
But you need to be careful where to settle down. Where I live there are very few WiFi hotspots. But you'd be welcome to come and sit in my garden if you want to!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
But you need to be careful where to settle down. Where I live there are very few WiFi hotspots. But you'd be welcome to come and sit in my garden if you want to!
There are gardens is Sweden? I thought the growing season was like, a week and a half. What could you possibly grow there?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #14
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Just to clarify, if you have a wi-fi capable device, you will at minimum usually be able to access a store account and download content. What other web-enabled functions you may be able to do will vary from device to device.

I own a Nook Simple Touch Reader (aka Nook, NST, or N2E). Out of the box, you can only access B&N's store to download content via the wi-fi. And yes, you can root it (or so I'm told) to expand those capabilities, but I'm talking out of the box here.

So with the Nook, wi-fi but no web browsing or other internet activities.

If you're shopping for a device, it's best to research its particular capabilities and specs, as they vary.

Hope that helps.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Just to clarify, if you have a wi-fi capable device, you will at minimum usually be able to access a store account and download content. What other web-enabled functions you may be able to do will vary from device to device.

I own a Nook Simple Touch Reader (aka Nook, NST, or N2E). Out of the box, you can only access B&N's store to download content via the wi-fi. And yes, you can root it (or so I'm told) to expand those capabilities, but I'm talking out of the box here.

So with the Nook, wi-fi but no web browsing or other internet activities.

If you're shopping for a device, it's best to research its particular capabilities and specs, as they vary.

Hope that helps.
Yes, lLet's be clear about the "get online" statement and 3G.

Just because it has 3G, that doesn't mean you can web-browse. The original Nook, for example, can only access its store via 3G. That's really the purpose.

The Kindle 3G 2nd gen and 3rd gen I know can surf to a very limited extent, but given the speed of its CPU and the screen refresh...it's barely workable to browse the web. My wife used hers to check her email from time to time before she had her smartphone, and it works...very, very slowly, and only the basic version of her webmail (since fancy java and flash websites and such aren't going to work on the Kindle).

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-06-2012 at 01:30 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3g and wifi