Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I find the glossy finish quite glaring and fingerprintable. But this in no way has made me feel bad about my decision for the T-1. I love it. What I try to do is not touch the front to avoid the front by grasping the edges or from the back of the unit. The glare can be avoided by angling it slightly.

I too thought about not getting one. But the new size/weight is really nice. I say get one and if you don't like it.. sell it or give it to a really close friend you want to share e-reading with.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I'm actually thinking about getting one of these black skins from DecalGirl in a matte coating to subdue the silly glossy bezel, even if it seems a little redundant to get a plain black skin for a device that's already black.

http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/88504
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
I'm actually thinking about getting one of these black skins from DecalGirl in a matte coating to subdue the silly glossy bezel, even if it seems a little redundant to get a plain black skin for a device that's already black.

http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/88504
There was a picture of this in maybe the decalgirl thread on this forum, it looked 100 times better with the matte black skin. If I had a T1 this is what I would do!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
I never noticed bezel glare or fingerprints on my white T1.

That said, the backside is a whole different monster. It's seriously a dust magnet and you can never get the dirty spots clean. Argh!! I'm happy with the white on the front, but as soon as I flip it and see the back... Argh..........
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #35
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
There was a picture of this in maybe the decalgirl thread on this forum, it looked 100 times better with the matte black skin. If I had a T1 this is what I would do!
I just might. I think I've decided to at least put some kind of skin on it. Some of the other DecalGirl designs are quite nice, and the matching wallpaper for the screen is a really nice touch.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #36
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Barton View Post
Upon buying it, despite being overjoyed that the software worked as I wanted, I found the shiny bezel ludicrous. Sony is so obsessed with "sexy" Playstation-type aesthetic that they let it contradict the very point of an e-ink display. So much for the selling point of being able to read in the sun!

Simply, it's one of the stupidest design choices I've seen in any piece of hardware, ever. Not exaggerating. I would have taken it back to buy something else, but this was the only thing that did what I wanted for under $100.

My solution? I covered the entire bezel in black electrical tape. It actually works quite well -my father couldn't tell I did it until I told him so. I was able to cover the whole thing unlike a skin, which for $20 will still leave spots for light to reflect at you.

I even covered the button labels, and drew them over with a pen. I might recover it and do something nicer, though.

And by the way, I also made an angled hands-free stand for it out of a few legos.

Um....good luck to you when you go to take that stuff off. You're going to have sticky residue up the wazoo. Sadly I think you've just ruined your reader by doing that.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Um....good luck to you when you go to take that stuff off. You're going to have sticky residue up the wazoo. Sadly I think you've just ruined your reader by doing that.
Maybe not ruined. But seriously lowered the resale value.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #38
Aaron Barton
Aaron Barton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
If by ruined you mean "corrected a design flaw" then I agree totally!

It is unlikely that I'll ever take it off unless it becomes damaged with wear and tear, upon which I'd only replace it with more tape. Gunk issue moot.
Aaron Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #39
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have a red T1. There is not enough glare and fingerprints to bother me. I simply never notice it.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #40
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Oh, perlease....

Sorry, but this thread has a touch of the Howard Hughes about it !!

Get those tissues on the floor as you go to check on fly footprints in the night....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #41
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I have a red T1. There is not enough glare and fingerprints to bother me. I simply never notice it.
I also, own a red one. I didn't like white, but the black one isn't nearly as shiny (I viewed all of these in the shop in person, didn't order mine on line). I never realized that the finish would be a bother for some people until I read it here.

Of course, I was just so desperate to actually *own* one (my previous reader was a Kobo Touch) that I never stopped to consider physical design issues, I just wanted a reader that does what the T1 does .

I mostly read in bed beside my bedside lamp, and in the day time with the living room lamp.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #42
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
I never noticed bezel glare or fingerprints on my white T1.
Likewise. I chose the white model because I felt the bezel glare wouldn't be a problem on it, and by and large I feel my choice was justified.

The current fashion for shiny black plastic is madness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
That said, the backside is a whole different monster. It's seriously a dust magnet and you can never get the dirty spots clean. Argh!! I'm happy with the white on the front, but as soon as I flip it and see the back... Argh..........
Put it in a case - job done, no crud on the back.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #43
MsD
MsD will become famous soon enoughMsD will become famous soon enoughMsD will become famous soon enoughMsD will become famous soon enoughMsD will become famous soon enoughMsD will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS300,Sony PRS T1,Nexus 7
I have the black T1 and the glare hasn't been an issue for me at all . As with any device, or book , or magazine, I automatically adjust the angle to suit the light conditions without really noticing.
MsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #44
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
The electrical tape trick works for me! Gets the glare down to about the same as the e-ink screen (which is to say about double the bezel glare of the Kindle Keyboard). And electrical-tape gunk is easy enough to remove if it comes to that.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote