Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Nothing crazy here. If a worker shows up with shoes that the site sells though, does that mean that they have to do their shift shoe-less?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Nothing crazy here. If a worker shows up with shoes that the site sells though, does that mean that they have to do their shift shoe-less?
They also sell clothing...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Makes a lot of sense. Sick with an infection, so go to work and spread the infection to customers and fellow employees.
I work in an office setting and we only get 5 sick days a year. I'm home sick today and will have to go to work tommorrow no matter how bad I still am - I had one vacation day left I was going to use on Thursday, so I'll have to go to work Thursday now too.

The only job I ever had that had good sick leave was the state government.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My hubby works at a factory on an assembly line. They have a 6 point system. Half point for being late and full point for missing a day of work. Once you get to 5 to 6 points they put you on what is called Last Chance and then you're let go if you miss any more.

Points resets once a year. Sick days are not allowed. Once you worked there 2 years you do get 5 vacation days for a full year which are good for sick days.

However you can still be let go at any time if they think you missed too much work before you get to 6 points.

The only water allowed rule is weird. My husband lives on Gatorade to do his job.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Amazon hired 2,500 temp workers in my state for these jobs. They pay about $12/hour.

I really see nothing unreasonable about any of those rules, actually, and none of them strike me as a particular hardship.

And it doesn't appear that most of these are instant firing offenses - if you talk too much, you get moved; if you keep talking, you might get written up; eventually, you might be fired.

If you show up 30 minutes late, you get docked 1/2 a point; don't show up at all and get docked 3 points; collect 6 points and you're fired.

FWIW, I wish more places prohibited employees from showing up sick. Infecting everyone else in the warehouse isn't a good business practice. And as I order from Amazon a lot, I would also like to think that no one with the flu coughed on my new package.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #21
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I concur there isn't really much to gripe about here, other than the sick day thing.

Unsafe work environments, employee lock-ins, tolerance for sexual harassment, sexual discrimination, tricks to bust up unions, all are much worse than this.

Besides, all of you folks want Your Stuff fast, on time, and cheaper than humanly possible. One way any online vendor accomplishes that is by having a super-efficient workflow. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that includes not getting gum or spilling beverages loaded with high fructose corn syrup all over the place....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #22
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I worked on a production line years ago at a P&G facility, and the job requirements were similar then. A lot of the "rules" have a little history behind them, so they are probably an attempt to fight workplace abuses (like drinking on the job, it does happen, hence the water bottle comment).

I don't see what this has to do with the ebook business, unless you want to attempt to paint Amazon with a bad view. You could apply the same view to the shipping carriers down the line. Or maybe the OP, having never worked in that envirnment, just didn't know.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am not sure that the sick employee was that bad. The report says that she was fired because she was sick when she interviewed and did not tell them. If she was unable to work at the proper pace and her excuse was that she was sick and she was sick when she was hired, she withheld information that would have prevented her from being hired in the first place.

A Warehouse that runs on everyone getting a certain amount of work is not going to hire someone who cannot get the minimum amount of work done due to illness. I don't really see where that is a bad thing.

The water rule makes sense to me. If some water is spilled on something it is less likely to stain or damage an item then other drinks. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some areas require that water be kept a certain distance from the line because the products are delicate or wrapping paper would be ruined by water.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
All of these rules seem reasonable to me. It doesn't say that they're not allowed sick days, just that a woman who was chronically ill was fired.

Regardless, I'm glad to be an independant contractor that works from home. I have zero benefits and only get paid for what work I complete, but at least I can suck down Pepsi and take a nap when I want. And browse internet forums...
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #25
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I guess it's ok to read an ebook while you work... as long as it's not a Kindle or another model they sell.

Well it's not on the list.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My hubby works at a factory on an assembly line.

The only water allowed rule is weird. My husband lives on Gatorade to do his job.
The company I work also has the water only in clear bottles rule for the plant employees. They don't want anyone spilling sticky liquids on the equipment or product.

mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Okay I can understand that then never really thought about it but that makes sense.

I guess it depends on what is being manufactured. My hubby works nears a large hot furnace. It is grueling work specially in the summertime. There is no A/C only large fans. He takes the product off the line after it comes out of the hot furnace. He has burned himself many times.

It's alot different then packing boxes of merchandise. I have shopped with Amazon for years and I think of all the stuff I bought only one came in bad shape. A book came with the cover bent because the person wasn't too careful when putting it inside the packing envelope. It was a free book so I didn't complain. It was one of those 3 for 4 Promos they always have.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #28
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Welcome to the wonderful world of factory/production line work! All kids should read this article so they know why to really work hard at school, get a good education and never have to put up with these working conditions. At $12 per hour these poor sods are usually cheaper than robots and easier to train than animals, oh, and animals are protected from cruelty by various laws. About the only rules that make a lot of sense are the anti-gum and sticky drink rules, but what about rules for work safety? No restrictions on loose scarves, ties or incorrect footwear? Don't they know human body parts in machinery cause a bigger production delay than chewing gum! (sarcasm, sarcasm)

Last edited by CazMar; 12-20-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Can't type!!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #29
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
I worked at a HP packaging-store once as temporary worker.

We weren't allowed to put any water bottles anywhere, not even in the separated corner solely used for lunch breaks. We had to store it in our locker, three large floors above. So it would have taken at least five minutes to have some water.

But of course quitting during work for drinking wasn't allowed. You had to wait till break. It was a hot summer, so I quit after three weeks. Amazon sounds like a piece of cake compared to that.

Last edited by K-Thom; 12-20-2010 at 06:29 PM.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
FWIW, I wish more places prohibited employees from showing up sick. Infecting everyone else in the warehouse isn't a good business practice. And as I order from Amazon a lot, I would also like to think that no one with the flu coughed on my new package.
With stupid rules and lousy benefit packages, you're asking for the moon. Companies bring this on themselves for not treating their employees better.

In the words of that holiday favorite - let 'em cough, let 'em cough, let 'em cough
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote