Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Can I ask what you're seeing with the "dead pixels"? A dark spot, or a bright spot?
You can only see it when the light is on - it's a very small "brighter spot" on the screen. Here's my attempt to capture a screen shot - hope you can see it! It's right above the word "Tam" in the 2nd to last line on the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	105181  
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
You can only see it when the light is on - it's a very small "brighter spot" on the screen. Here's my attempt to capture a screen shot - hope you can see it! It's right above the word "Tam" in the 2nd to last line on the screen.
Looks like maybe a defect in the light guide layer, as opposed to a dead pixel. I think some folks had this problem with their Glo.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Looks like maybe a defect in the light guide layer, as opposed to a dead pixel. I think some folks had this problem with their Glo.
Yes it looks exactly like the bright spot I had with the first Glo I had. I took it back and had no problems exchanging it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I had a similar "dot" on my glo. I pressed on the dot with my thumb kind of hard for a minute or two and it disappeared. I figure that it may have been some type of air bubble between the layers. I don't know...just glad it worked for me.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #20
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Was it fixable or does it require a return/exchange? I'm in the U.S., so there aren't any brick & mortar stores here carrying the Aura HD.
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #21
geekspertise
geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Received Mine With Two Dead Pixels

I got my new Aura two days ago complete with two dead pixels. I notified tech support immediately. They wanted me to send mine back and wait for them to send me another one, which was not acceptable, because I've had nothing but awful customer service from them since I placed my order. After blogging about it, and complaining to @kobohelp on Twitter, they agreed to expedite me a replacement.

I'm still waiting for the tracking number on it, but I suspect after my exchanges with customer service that I will have the new one very soon.
geekspertise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I think I am going to have to return mine. Glo light flicker. Plus, I get a lot of two page turns from a single tap. Last night, it was so bad it was happening every three pages.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
geekspertise
geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.geekspertise has met Morla.

Still Waiting on a Tracking Number - Horrible CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekspertise View Post
I'm still waiting for the tracking number on it, but I suspect after my exchanges with customer service that I will have the new one very soon.
So it's been a FEW days since Kobo agreed to replace my unit. I'm still waiting on a tracking number. Contacted CS again (by chat this morning) to put more pressure on them. They really provide the most abysmal customer service and slowest response times I've experienced with any company in a very long time. I really hope things get better after this initial rush for the Aura dies down.
geekspertise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #24
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
I can see that light spot plain as day. A few months after getting my Glo I found a large bright spot on the screen, but it was caused by oil from my fingers and when I cleaned the screen with a micorfibre cloth the light spot vanished. However, looking at your screen image, I think that your bright spot is a design flaw and I would recommend cleaning it with a micorfibre cloth and if the bright spot is still there, you should return your unit for a replacement. When I got my Aura, I turned the light up to the max to check for flaws and luckily my screen is perfect.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
I can see that light spot plain as day. A few months after getting my Glo I found a large bright spot on the screen, but it was caused by oil from my fingers and when I cleaned the screen with a micorfibre cloth the light spot vanished. However, looking at your screen image, I think that your bright spot is a design flaw and I would recommend cleaning it with a micorfibre cloth and if the bright spot is still there, you should return your unit for a replacement. When I got my Aura, I turned the light up to the max to check for flaws and luckily my screen is perfect.
Thanks, I will give that a try!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #26
wesb2
wesb2 began at the beginning.

Quote:
I had this exact issue, except there were about 10 of these spots. I promptly exchanged it at chapters and checked it in the store, the new one was fine and had none of these spots.
wesb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #27
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
Quote:
. . .and since I'm in the U.S. no telling how long it would take to get another one!!
Oh man the irony. =[[
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #28
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Yep. Swapped mine yesterday (at WHSmiths, Hammersmith) because of a tiny bright spot - one or two pixels - allowing light through.

No arguments, but the Aura is in short supply. I called Head Office first to find stores with stock.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well, I just ordered another one to replace the one I killed the TouchScreen on.
So we can see how long it takes to San Antonio, TX. from Canada. The good
thing is I have a nice 8GB MicroSD card all ready to slip inside the new one when
it gets here.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #30
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Well, I just ordered another one to replace the one I killed the TouchScreen on.
So we can see how long it takes to San Antonio, TX. from Canada. The good
thing is I have a nice 8GB MicroSD card all ready to slip inside the new one when
it gets here.

Luck;
Ken
Ken,

What's the return process for a defective unit? The thought of having to have any more interaction with Kobo CS is fairly repugnant at this point!