Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #151
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm looking into the choices. Does anyone have a sense of what we'd be taking on with The Journey to the West? The unabridged version runs to four volumes! The literature of pilgrimage is one of my interests and this appeals to me, but is there an abridged version we'd agree on?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #152
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You and fantasyfan cancel each other out!

I'm pretty sure the lit club doesn't have a rule about renominating books, but I won't vote for Mahfouz since we did just read something by him.. That's as far as I've got making up my mind, though!
I think we couldn't have got that if we had tried
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #153
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Who would like to take their turn selecting the nominations for the upcoming rotating month in October?

(if you have any questions, you can refer to the first post or just ask)
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #154
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Who would like to take their turn selecting the nominations for the upcoming rotating month in October?

(if you have any questions, you can refer to the first post or just ask)
I will call myself out once again, as I am in the middle of a big move (in five parts ) to which some building works will follow....
Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #155
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
October's nearly here ... ?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #156
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

paola, too bad you can’t volunteer this month but it’s understandable and good luck on your move; I look forward to what you nominate in your eventual month!

There may still be some out there contemplating having a go and I hope someone volunteers (don’t be shy!) but I want to have something ready that everyone is aware of in case.

If we don’t have a volunteer by the end of the month, then we'll have a retrospective second-chance month. In fact, even if not this month, I think it’s a good idea for this to be the plan whenever it is that we do start a new rotating cycle.

So, eventually (whether now or later) we will run out of volunteers, and that’s the month that we’ll have a second-chance month and then start the rotating cycle over with everyone becoming eligible again. Second-chance will consist of one second-place work from each prior rotating month in a poll together (any second-place ties can be broken by the original nominator if they do so before the poll, and otherwise by first listed).

But there’s still a few days left to volunteer this month - who’d like to take their turn?
Old 09-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #157
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I really would like to participate in this at some point. This month wouldn't be good for me simply because I'm too busy.
However, what keeps me from volunteering (this a little humiliating to admit) is that I'm just not proficient with the site and how to use the tools to hide spoilers, set up voting pages etc. Is there a series of help pages somewhere that I can read or would someone be willing to tutor me through some of the basics at some point? I've been meaning to ask this anyway because I'm sure that a better handle on the tools available would enhance my enjoyment of MR in general.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #158
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I really would like to participate in this at some point. This month wouldn't be good for me simply because I'm too busy.
However, what keeps me from volunteering (this a little humiliating to admit) is that I'm just not proficient with the site and how to use the tools to hide spoilers, set up voting pages etc. Is there a series of help pages somewhere that I can read or would someone be willing to tutor me through some of the basics at some point? I've been meaning to ask this anyway because I'm sure that a better handle on the tools available would enhance my enjoyment of MR in general.
You don't need to do any of that whenever you have your turn! I'll do all that. At a minimum, all you need to provide is a list of at least four book titles and authors. It would be nice to have an info blurb with them, but not necessary. Either way, I'll try to link each nomination to a Goodreads page with more info if there is one.

Even if you do provide blurbs, you don't have to format with spoilers. You can, but it's not necessary as I can format that when I set up the poll. But, fyi here is how you do spoilers:

Without spaces, type
[ spoiler ]
before what you want included, and then
[ /spoiler ]
after.

ETA - There is also a shortcut for spoilers in the post reply box. You highlight everything that you want to be in one spoiler, then you click on the icon of an eye covered by an X. It isn't available in Quick Reply though (when you reply at the bottom of a thread page).

Last edited by sun surfer; 09-27-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #159
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will volunteer.

I don't think there's ever a time when I won't be busy. Don't we all feel like that?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:58 AM   #160
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Good for you, BG!

Sunsurfer, I think a second-chance month is an excellent idea.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #161
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I will volunteer.

I don't think there's ever a time when I won't be busy. Don't we all feel like that?
Absolutely!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #162
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I will volunteer.
yay, looking forward to your selection!
And, sunsurfer, great idea on the second chance!
Old 09-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #163
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
You don't need to do any of that whenever you have your turn! I'll do all that. At a minimum, all you need to provide is a list of at least four book titles and authors. It would be nice to have an info blurb with them, but not necessary. Either way, I'll try to link each nomination to a Goodreads page with more info if there is one.

Even if you do provide blurbs, you don't have to format with spoilers. You can, but it's not necessary as I can format that when I set up the poll. But, fyi here is how you do spoilers:

Without spaces, type
[ spoiler ]
before what you want included, and then
[ /spoiler ]
after.

ETA - There is also a shortcut for spoilers in the post reply box. You highlight everything that you want to be in one spoiler, then you click on the icon of an eye covered by an X. It isn't available in Quick Reply though (when you reply at the bottom of a thread page).
Thanks Sun surfer. Much appreciated.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #164
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Wonderful, Bookworm_Girl, and too true! Thanks for volunteering and October is yours! I'll ask for your nominations at the beginning of the month.

And thanks paola and Bookpossum! I'm glad you like the idea. I didn't mean to rush it but time was running out. Whenever it happens (later than sooner is always better in this case ) I hope it'll be a fun month for everyone.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #165
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

It's time for October's selections. Bookworm_Girl, what choices do you have for us this autumnal month*?

*Spring for some of you.