Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Well, I got weak last night and called Best Buy to see if they had any 4th gen. Touches in stock, 64 GB. The girl I talked to said they did. I confirmed that it was a 64 GB model and 4th Gen. I drove the 30 minutes over there and they only had the 3rd gen. She did not even put it aside as she told me she would. She punched out about 3 minutes after my phone call, so I couldn't even rip into her. Boy, that made me hoppin' mad. I'm going to log onto their site and give that store a bad review.

No Best Buy or Radio Shack near me has them. I guess I will wait for my order to come from Amazon like a good boy.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I have the iphone 4 and I agree, the Retina Display is awesome for reading.

Not sure if you noticed, but in iBooks, when using a Retina Display device, there are 2 smaller font sizes available than what you get on the 3rd gen devices.

I love using the the smallest font size - it is small, but still so crisp that I have no problems at all.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I love using the the smallest font size - it is small, but still so crisp that I have no problems at all.
Your eyes are clearly working much better than mine. :-)
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Well, I got weak last night and called Best Buy to see if they had any 4th gen. Touches in stock, 64 GB. The girl I talked to said they did. I confirmed that it was a 64 GB model and 4th Gen. I drove the 30 minutes over there and they only had the 3rd gen. She did not even put it aside as she told me she would. She punched out about 3 minutes after my phone call, so I couldn't even rip into her. Boy, that made me hoppin' mad. I'm going to log onto their site and give that store a bad review.

No Best Buy or Radio Shack near me has them. I guess I will wait for my order to come from Amazon like a good boy.
My local Best Buy showed them is stock on the web page, but I couldn't find them when I arrived. They only had the 3G on display. Turns out they had them locked up in a cage behind one of the cash registers where no one could see them. I guess they still had 3Gs they wanted to get rid of first.

My local Best Buy doesn't seem to care much about anything but cellular phones and TVs. Those two items are prominently displayed, and everything else seems hidden away with none of the sales staff familiar with it. Even computers are placed way in the back of the store.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Apple 4th Generation iPod touch with the retina display makes an excellent reader. I've previously owned (well actually still own) the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen iPod touches. Although they were okay as ebook readers they were plagued by two shortcomings.

One is the small 3.5 inch diagonal screen. That of course is still a problem with the latest 4th Gen touch. However, the small size and portability has made for a decent ebook reader to take along to doctor offices, etc.

The other shortcoming was the lackluster 480x320 pixel resolution. Most eInk screens in comparison have at least 800x600 pixels. But with Apple's new retina display they have increased the resolution to 960x640 pixels. One thing I always noticed on the older touches, and indeed nearly every LCD screen I've owned, is that my eyes would get tired from reading after an hour or so. Extended reading on prior LCDs was out of the question. However, with the new retina display this eye soreness seems to be greatly decreased. I am able to read for hours on my 4th Generation iPod touch.

I wondered why the difference was so great. So I did what i often do and took out my 12 megapixel camera and took some side by side photos for comparison (attached). I loaded the same page from the same book into Stanza on both my 2nd Gen and 4th Generation iPod touches. In the first photo you can see the 2nd Gen on the left and the 4th Gen on the right. Since the photo was a high resolution 12 megapixels, I cropped and shrunk it down to look good in 800x600 pixels. The next photo is a composite of the two touches taken from the first photo. I cropped a full size 800x300 pixel area from each touch screen and placed the 2nd Gen cropping on top and the 4th Gen on bottom. As I said these are full size and because they were from a 12 MP photo they look enlarged, but they are not enlarged. That is the cool thing about high resolution photography.

It is fairly obvious to me why the 2nd Gen iPod touch made my eyes so tired after an hour of reading. I fully expected to see the same pixelized view in the 4th Gen screen but less pronounced. However, the 4th Gen screen is very near to the clarity of an eInk screen. I was quite amazed. Now if Apple would make a 5" iPod touch with a retina display!

fyi, just being a nit picker but the number of MP for a camera sensor has nothing to do with the camera's resolving power. In fact too many MP on a given sensor can decrease the IQ significantly. It's the lense optics that are key as well as shooting at the optimal aperture and lighting conditions to get the best out of your gear. A 6MP camera can take better images that a 20MP rig...MP will only slightly affect the ability for large prints or large crops simply because there is not enough data present to go that large or drill that deep...it's always all about the glass not the sensor...the sensor plays a somewhat different role in your photos. It's just a common misconception that the MP number is directly related to better IQ and that is all marketing spin.

Still I have read a lot of folks are super pleased with the new touch and the display...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #21
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I'm trying to set up my new 4th gen Touch now...boy, are the book downloads from Amazon slow on this thing. The display is gorgeous, though.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #22
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Found a Best Buy 25 miles away that had one. I bought it and they are holding it for me now. My wife and I are going out to breakfast, dropping off a tux rental, and picking it up this morning.

I canceled my order with Amazon and paid the extra money to Best Buy and the State of Illinois. But I will have it today instead of some time next week.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:04 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iPod 4 does not have as long a battery life as the iPhone 4. I think it's like 2 hours less roughly.
Thanks to Steve and his fetish for things super thin. The man needs help - LOL.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
JeremyZ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I'm trying to set up my new 4th gen Touch now...boy, are the book downloads from Amazon slow on this thing. The display is gorgeous, though.
Agreed. To be fair to those considering purchasing one of these, we should mention the other drawbacks when compared to an e-book reader:
  • Smaller display is harder to read
  • Dictionary is not built into the app
  • 'Last page' feature doesn't seem to work (at least for the Kindle app)

To me it is like a swiss army knife e-book reader. Not the perfect tool for the job, but it'll get the job done and it can always be on one's person.

But I sure do love the device for all the other things it does. Apps, music, video, web browsing (esp. on sites that have mobile-specific versions, like yahoo)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Agreed. To be fair to those considering purchasing one of these, we should mention the other drawbacks when compared to an e-book reader:
  • Smaller display is harder to read
  • Dictionary is not built into the app
  • 'Last page' feature doesn't seem to work (at least for the Kindle app)

To me it is like a swiss army knife e-book reader. Not the perfect tool for the job, but it'll get the job done and it can always be on one's person.

But I sure do love the device for all the other things it does. Apps, music, video, web browsing (esp. on sites that have mobile-specific versions, like yahoo)
Depends on the app. iBooks does have a dictionary and the Kindle app either has one or will have one. I know the txtr app does not have a dictionary. But, it really depends what you want out of an iPod for reading as to which app you choose.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #26
JeremyZ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, it really depends what you want out of an iPod for reading as to which app you choose.
Would you mind elaborating on that for me? I don't want to get too many apps for reading, probably just one. The Kindle app. seems pretty good so far.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #27
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Would you mind elaborating on that for me? I don't want to get too many apps for reading, probably just one. The Kindle app. seems pretty good so far.
You'd probably want three: Kindle for purchased books, either iBooks or Stanza (depending on which UI you prefer) for non-DRM ePub books, and GoodReader for PDF handling.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #28
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
has FBReader been ported over as an iOS app yet?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote