Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
wyrm
wyrm began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Talking THANK YOU Ectaco!

Because some people suspect that Ectaco is watching/monitoring this forum, I want to send a big THANK YOU to Ectacto for bringing me the best ereader on the market today!

I see a lot of nagging about bugs in new firmware versions, but I think it’s great to have firmware updates! I have lots of gadgets for which the manufacturer promised firmware updates, but got none. With all the new features (DRM!), the wide compatibility of file formats and the superb screen, I think there is no real competition for ‘our’ Jetbook!

Yesterday I tried a Sony ereader in a store and was really annoyed with the way pageturns are handled on the screen. Why people pay good money for E-ink readers is beyond me…

And for the lack of 3G/Wifi: Why would you want this? It drains the batteries almost instant and when I leave the house (and thus my computer), I have enough books on my Jetbook to keep me entertained for weeks/months!

I read that the jetbook runs on a Linux OS, I guess it would be nice if Ectaco would release an SDK so people can develop applications for the jetbook (minesweeper, patience, Sudoku,….) like on the Pocketbooks. But even if this never happens, it’s still the best ereader in the world!

O/T: Does anyone here ever heard any news about possible future versions of the Jetbook? I’d love to see a 7” or 8” Jetbook with a metal case!
wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I agree with wyrm!
I'd also like to see a larger jetBook, although part of the charm is that I can fit the unit in my (very small) grasping hand! Definately appreciate the firware updates and the active MR forum "testers"!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
CraneTseng
CraneTseng began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite (Black), Pandigital Novel 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm View Post
O/T: Does anyone here ever heard any news about possible future versions of the Jetbook? I’d love to see a 7” or 8” Jetbook with a metal case!
Metal case? Are you a body builder or what? An eReader should not be heavy in any cases...
I think Ectaco will not invest in bigger screens, the are rather in the eDictionary business...
CraneTseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneTseng View Post
Metal case? Are you a body builder or what? An eReader should not be heavy in any cases...
I think Ectaco will not invest in bigger screens, the are rather in the eDictionary business...
Hahaha! No, I'm sorry for not being more clear. I meant a lightweight aluminum case. (Almost) as heavy as the plastic case, but feeling a lot more sturdy and classy.

Size doesn't always matter But an A4 sized screen would be nice. Not always though, my Jetbook fits in my pocket, that's really nice when traveling.

Something I forgot; A calculator as an extra application would be a nice addition!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
I would love a clock, but I suppose that would need to be reset every time batteries are changed...

I like the size. It is quite readable, and it fits right into my pocket.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
MLXXXp
Enthusiast
MLXXXp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
I would love a clock [...]
Be careful what you wish for. Without a clock, the device has no way of knowing what the date is and thus can't expire time limited DRMed books, such as those borrowed from a library. As long as you don't delete them, you can take as long as you want reading them.

Add a clock (or some other way of determining the date) and time based expiry becomes a possibility.
MLXXXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
I second MLXXXp, I would dread having a clock if it means my library books would expire. I don't know if any other ereaders have this feature that you can read library books almost indefinitely as long as you don't synch the device with ADE on your PC. I asked the members of the Kobo forum and they say their device inactivates the book after 2-3 weeks. Shudder!! I wonder if the Nook does the same thing. I do wish Ectaco and Aluratek would drop the prices on their devices though, now that Kindle, Kobo, Sony and Nook have all done so recently. (so I can get another one!)
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechan View Post
I second MLXXXp, I would dread having a clock if it means my library books would expire. I don't know if any other ereaders have this feature that you can read library books almost indefinitely as long as you don't synch the device with ADE on your PC. I asked the members of the Kobo forum and they say their device inactivates the book after 2-3 weeks. Shudder!! I wonder if the Nook does the same thing. I do wish Ectaco and Aluratek would drop the prices on their devices though, now that Kindle, Kobo, Sony and Nook have all done so recently. (so I can get another one!)
$99 and J and R...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
$99 and J and R...
I see they sell it for $129.00 - the same price as on Newegg website.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I see they sell it for $129.00 - the same price as on Newegg website.
The $99 was a limited time sale, offered in an email to those who subscribe
to their site. The $99-99.99 price is a common sail price range for the JBL.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
petechan
Connoisseur

I guess I am one of the few that still like my reader with an internal battery. I should have said I wish they would lower the price of the Jetbook and Libre. As a fair comparison the the other brands, all of which have internal lithium batteries. I thought the e-ink screens were more expensive to manufacture? Plus some of them have bigger screens, and the Nook has wifi. Even the Sony PS-600 with touch screen is now $169.

Why is the Libre and Jetbook still being listed at $149 price point or higher at some places?(Libre $199 at newegg today- really!) I think if they really want to remain competitive, the average selling price should have dropped to $130 or so. If it really were not for the library lending fluke, I would go to a different brand.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
Sinner3k
Enthusiast
Sinner3k began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, B&N Nook Classic, Pocket Edge, Kindle Fire
My local library doesn't lend ebooks, so I haven't been able to take advantage of the "glitch" yet.

And I agree that an SDK for the Libre/Jetbook would be awesome!!
Sinner3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechan View Post
I guess I am one of the few that still like my reader with an internal battery. I should have said I wish they would lower the price of the Jetbook and Libre. As a fair comparison the the other brands, all of which have internal lithium batteries.
I fail to see your point -- both the JetBook and the Libre use internal lithium ion batteries! The JB Lite uses AAs, but most people who buy it consider that a perk. And it's easy enough to get it in the $100 range.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
petechan
Connoisseur

Whether one likes internal lithium battery or rechargeables AA is personal preference, I personally prefer the lithium battery for its overall lower weight and more options for cases.

But my point is, the Libre and Jetbook have lithium batteries, and all the other brands Kobo, Sony, Nook also have lithium batteries. They have lowered their prices, our ereaders haven't. Lithium batteries probably add another $20-$30 to the price of the reader. The JBL is probably competitively priced at $90-$99. The folks who want a lithium battery should be able to get theirs for $120-130.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
wyrm

ehm... no offence, but this was the "thank you thread". So ONLY possitive things are allowed here