Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
eSach
eSach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx, Sony eReader 505
New Kindle Version 2.3 (399380047) for DX

While playing with 411 and 611 in the Setting mode, I got new kindle update delivered within minute after typing 611. After pressing "update your kindle", my kindle DX version became 2.3 (399380047).

I could not notice any change with new version, except screen saver new pictures. The sad thing is I could not install alternative fonts with current available patch anymore. So be aware before deciding to hit Update.
eSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
mmm what are the changes in this exactly. I received an update but can't see any substantial changes. Maybe under the hood changes in there too?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 04:04 AM   #3
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
The update will happen after turning on whispernet, so unless you keep it off permanently, your DX will update at some point.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Turned mine on last night after seeing this thread and I did not receive the update. I must not be in the area where they are initially pushing it out.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505
Going from 2.1.1 to 2.3, I wonder what the changes are?
My replacement DX was 2.1 (cracked was 2.1.1, odd!), so I'm not eager to upgrade. I changed the screensaver from 10 to 60 minutes, so there would have to be a substantial upgrade for me to change.
Keithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Sorry, newbie Kjndle DX owner here.

How exactly do you tell what firmware level you are at?

Second question; I've installed the Savory and Screensaver hack, am I correct in the fact that these have to be uninstalled before any update wil work?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Sorry, newbie Kjndle DX owner here.

How exactly do you tell what firmware level you are at?

Second question; I've installed the Savory and Screensaver hack, am I correct in the fact that these have to be uninstalled before any update wil work?
You can find the firmware version by going to the home screen, hitting the menu button, then select the settings option, at the bottom of the screen on the left hand side mine reads, "Version: Kindle 2.1 (337560062).

I'm confused as to why you would put the Savory hack on a DX, as the DX natively supports pdfs. You just drop pdfs into the documents file on your DX or e-mail them to the e-mail address of your DX and it should display them without the need for Savory to convert them.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Savory also does ePub conversion too, while I have Calibre on my laptop I might run into an ebook that is only ePub and not be able to convert it right away. You can also ZOOM PDFs after the Savory conversion too. I haven't experimented with it much yet though.

Thanks for the answer on firmware.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
eSach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Yes. In my case I had to uninstall UFH before Amazon update works.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
The new firmware prevents the installation of the UFH. Hope someone can figure out how to get around this...
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Be sure that, when you go to "Settings" that you press "Menu" again in order to get the update option. Didn't do that for about twenty minutes of wasted time.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
how come i get no update option? my dx is still 2.1.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
how come i get no update option? my dx is still 2.1.
The updates don't hit all Kindles at the same time. They roll out in sections (I haven't figured out the pattern). You can update it yourself manually.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks, that worked.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
eSach

I called Kindle customer service, asking for downgrade to original V 2.1 and got an expected "No". Since upgrade I got frozen screen couple of times, and had to re-boot.

Feeling desperate for better contrast font, I even tried "restore factory default" option in vain.

I was thinking, every computer/netbook screen has option to adjust contrast, brightness, ... why this expensive kindle does not have it.

Tags
kindle dx, kindle version 2.3