Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
I've got a Samsung NC10 from this place. Brilliant keyboard, lots of hard disk, and really good to carry about. I wouldn't be without it, and don't miss my fully functioned laptop at all.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The video is great. I love the "best for seniors" tag......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #18
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I am the proud owner of an msi u100 Wind notebook (currently going for sale in Amazon for $373.97 http://www.amazon.com/MSI-U100-432US...dp/B001H0GEVG/).

Quote:
Do you like/love it?
My Wind kicks ten kinds of ass, and I am very happy that I got it.

Quote:
Do you read your books on it? How is that experience?
Yes, I read books in my Wind. I haven't used an E Ink screen for comparison yet, but I feel my experience has been great. I used to carry it to class because it contained my math book, for instance, and while it took a bit long to boot up, I was soon reading Green's Theorem and using it to solve the problem of the day, or something to that effect.

Outside of class and in my dorm room or house, reading textbooks or novels in pdf is just dandy. The netbook is small, so I can lie in bed and put it in whatever position I find most comfortable (including on my chest) and just read. I love computers and are used to staring at their screens for hours on end (incidentally, I am blind as a bat and wear glasses for seeing far away objects; I wonder if there is a relation?), so I don't mind reading books in my screen. It's just like reading webpages with a lot of text, but for longer periods of time.

Quote:
What are the downsides? (Besides the obvious lack of storage/memory)
Huh? At 160 GB, I assure you my netbook has no lack of storage. And while 1 GB of RAM may seem like little memory these days, when running Windows XP (and, I assume, Ubuntu) it is more than enough to run everything beautifully except programs of very high demands (such as games). The bottleneck seems to the the processor; if I use the computer in Maximum battery mode, even YouTube videos can become laggy (note that this isn't a problem when plugged in, or when set to use full power even in battery mode). Also, for some reason the Wind has a habit of freezing once every couple of weeks or so. No big deal, just unplug, remove the battery, and re-start, but still annoying. It does make you a bit paranoid about saving your work, but that's a good habit, anyways.

Also, my Wind lacks a CD drive, but I haven't really needed it (I have a couple of games, but I doubt the Wind could run them, and I can find music and programs online).

Quote:
Which one do you have? Why did you get that particular one?
See above. I tried several models at Best Buy before getting the Wind on Amazon, and I noticed something; the other netbook's keyboards sucked. They had tiny buttons that I wasn't able to press like I was used to, lowering my typing speed dramatically. The Wind was the only model I saw that had decent sized buttons, so I immediately decided on getting a Wind. I choose this particular model because I wanted this netbook to be my main, permanent laptop for years to come, so I didn't skimp out and got the model with twice the battery and higher storage instead of the Wind with 3 battery cells.

Quote:
what is your power source, do you have to find a 'hot spot' for free internet access when you are out an about?
The wind can last about 4 hours in maximum battery mode without power. At university, there were electrical outlets everywhere (and I mean EVERYWHERE, including a handicapped stall in one bathroom) so between classes I could charge if I wanted to, but the Wind on a full charge and last battery mode would last through the day easily. As for hot spots, the university had a network which covered everything, so with a few exceptions (the chemistry departments are freaking Nazis about how their internet is used, for example) that wasn't a problem.

Outside of university and at home, we have a wireless network set up. Expecting to find random "hot spots" when out in the streets, though, strikes me as unrealistic. More people are locking up their wireless networks (greedy bastards), and anyways, a netbook isn't really a device you use while walking on the street. Even sitting on the street is not likely, between the couple of minutes of boot up, a fear of having it stolen, and a lack of open wireless networks. Netbooks are best for use in houses, and maybe a few places where wireless networks might be the norm (for example, airports or bookstores) as opposed to sidewalks, cars, or buses. They aren't as spontaneous devices as, say, cellphones; choosing to use them is quite deliberate.

Quote:
What am I not understanding about them?
I am not sure. If you state what you believe netbooks to be like, or describe what you think a typical day with your netbook might be like, maybe I could help you correct what understandings, if any, you have about the things.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 05-23-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So..........I'm thinking, this would be a great time to break away from Windows, and go Linux, ebuntu, or ?

BUT......would those support Calibre or Mobipocket?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Karma to you Jaime_Astorga for your detailed info post.

I will keep one K1 of course, because I"m spoiled with the e-ink screen like most people.

However, I am looking at a netbook to browse the 'net, send email and use as a dedicated ebook storage center, (freeing up my laptop) and part time reader.

I'm hearing a lot of 'glare' problems, so maybe that isn't such a good idea. But then again, I never read for any great length of time anymore, so may it is.

Like those who are looking for the perfect dedicated e-book reader, I am looking for the perfect netbook.

From your accounts, storage isn't a problem.

I'm thinking some 'hands on' research will help a great deal.
Advert
Old 05-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
Vi0linha
Vi0linha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700 / iPhone
I have one asus eeepc 701. I don't read e-books on it, it's just not confortable in my opinion. I use it at work and we have wifi there. The big 'it' about a netbook is it height and size. It doesn't not compare with a notebook but it's easy to have along with you all the time.
Vi0linha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I just bought an Acer Aspire One last night. Wal-Mart has them for $312, and they have a 15 day no questions return policy.

I'm loading up Windows 7 RC right now, but if the Lil Buggah don't have enough omph to run that I'll probably run Ubuntu Linux on it. But it runs the Windows XP that it ccomes with just fine.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #23
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
So..........I'm thinking, this would be a great time to break away from Windows, and go Linux, ebuntu, or ?

BUT......would those support Calibre or Mobipocket?
I have a VM running Ubuntu on my main computer. It runs Calibre, but the version of Calibre that comes in the repository doesn't have the "View" icon. And I havent found a way to read a Mobi file (yet).
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I have an Acer Aspire One with one gb of memory, 160 gb HD, XP, and a decent sized keyboard. Yes; I read on it (like it, too), but it's just that tiny bit too big too be entirely portable, screen glares, too.
This is what I have, too (the 8.9" model). It's a surprisingly capable machine. Certainly faster than my old Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop circa 2004. I did consider getting the 10" version, but I settled for the smaller one since I wanted the portability. I have a fairly thin & light Toshiba laptop (13.3") but lugging it around for hours still gives me a backache so I got something even smaller. Keyboard feels pretty cramped, even with my small hands, but I guess that has more to do with the fact that I'm used to touch-typing on the Toshiba's keyboard. My brother who has bigger hands than I do has no problem typing on the Acer Aspire One. One questionable design choice they did make was putting the left and right "mouse" buttons on either side of the touchpad. It feels pretty awkward but I guess, as with most things, it'll be fine once you get used to it. At least Acer included a USB mouse in the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It comes with WindowsXP and is a full fledged PC. First thing I did though is install firefox and openoffice.
What he said. It's a full-fledged PC and while slow (performance would probably be abysmal for heavy Photoshopping and you can expect a lot of stutters if watching Blu-ray rips), it can do everything a full PC can. One of the first things I did (once Windows was done with all the updates) is install Firefox. I opted for MS Office 2003, though, instead of OpenOffice. When I first installed OpenOffice (v2?) on my other computers, I found it to be slower than MS Office. Well, at least opening programs seemed to take forever compared to almost instantaneous with MS Office. Things have probably improved since then, but I've still got a license free (Student & Teacher version) for MS Office so I'm using those up first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
One recommendation is I would buy a DVD/CD-ROM USB drive and the 6 cell battery over the 3 cell this will double your batter life from 2.5 to 5 hrs.
I also got the one with the 6-cell battery. It's a bit heavier than the 3-cell version and the battery protrudes from the back, but the 5-hour battery life is very useful when you're on the go. I didn't buy a portable USB DVD/CD-ROM drive for mine as I find I don't really need it on the go. I barely use the optical drive on my current laptops. Since I'm somewhat prone to losing CDs, I keep a disc image of install discs, etc, on my desktop's hard drive. I've got Virtual CloneDrive installed on the netbook so in case I need to install something from a CD, I just open the disc image with Virtual CloneDrive, and presto, instant optical drive. Besides, I have one of those Xbox 360 HD-DVD player add-ons that I can connect to the Acer Aspire One in a pinch.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #25
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
cnet did a comparison of the "top 10" netbooks, their number one choice is the Asus Eee PC 1000HE. any thoughts on this model ?
I've owned an Asus Eee and an Acer Aspire One. I would choose the Acer hands down. I found the keyboard on the Asus way too out of wack for my taste. The chiclet-sized right shift key drove me crazy. I never did get use to it. Based on his results, I sometimes wonder if the guy at CNET ever actually types on any of the netbooks he tests. I do prefer the trackpad configuration on the Asus though, so if you plan to do more scrolling and clicking than typing, it might be the better choice.

I am getting my hands on the HP Mini-note next week, and I am planning on carrying it around Europe with me, so I will be able to report on that in a month or so.

As for using a netbook to read, the Asus came with FBReader installed, which is pretty good little no frills reader, but the netbooks have the same problem that regular monitors have, i.e., that you are reading from light shining into your eyes. Some people don't seem to have a problem with this, but I still carry around my Sony Reader when I want to read something.

I hope that is helpful.
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

so far, the Acer Aspire One seems to be the favorite.

Kudos to everyone answering, all your inputs are helping tremendously!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
Outside of class and in my dorm room or house, reading textbooks or novels in pdf is just dandy. The netbook is small, so I can lie in bed and put it in whatever position I find most comfortable (including on my chest) and just read. I love computers and are used to staring at their screens for hours on end (incidentally, I am blind as a bat and wear glasses for seeing far away objects; I wonder if there is a relation?), so I don't mind reading books in my screen. It's just like reading webpages with a lot of text, but for longer periods of time.
Lol, same here. Happy to know I'm not the only one that does this. Terribly myopic, too, but at least I don't need glasses to read from my netbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
More people are locking up their wireless networks (greedy bastards), and anyways, a netbook isn't really a device you use while walking on the street.
Locking up your network is prudent and in no way means you are greedy. There are cases of identity theft, stolen bank passwords, etc due to people leaving their wireless networks open. Also, if someone downloads a bunch of MP3s from Limewire using your wireless network, will you be happy if you get sued by the RIAA?

Besides, many ISPs are starting to implement bandwidth caps and for people with those ISPs, it's probably best to be greedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
so far, the Acer Aspire One seems to be the favorite.
When I did my search a while back, it seems to be one of the cheaper ones. Last I checked, the 8.9" XP Home, 160GB, 6-cell model costs $280 from Amazon. As specifications go, it's also one of the closer ones to a traditional laptop (XP, largish hard drive), aside from size, that is.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Oh my gosh.........

I cannot see a single down to this one. The price is fantastic......thoughts? I've dealt with these people before and they are reliable.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2&Sku=H24-8001
Old 05-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

For the price, I'd go with the Acer Aspire One AOA150 instead. While the Via Nano trumps the Atom, the Via C7 is slower clock for clock. On top of that, it only has 1.20GHz compared to Atom N270's 1.60GHz.

8.9" 1024x600 LCD
Intel Atom N270 1.60GHz
160GB HDD
1GB DDR2 SDRAM
Webcam
802.11b/g WiFi
6-cell battery (5 hours battery life)

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-23-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #30
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
You can get a laptop of similar specs (but more storage and different processor) below for about $15 more:

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-U100-641US...dp/B001P5GKCG/

But if you like mini-note, go for it ^_^ I'm glad we were able to help you in this thread.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote