Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-02-2022, 07:08 AM   #1
1eduard
Connoisseur
1eduard began at the beginning.

Device: none
Styles?

Now I'm writing my book with Libre Office (LINUX).
The comments I got in my previous posts that I must use properly 'Styles'.

What do you mean with this???
1eduard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #2
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Look here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/...8PC_and_Mac.29

Short answer:
Use Text Body for ALL texts except headings.
Use Headings1/2/3 for headings.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
See my recent post here. I linked to all the best Styles + LibreOffice info I've written:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...11#post4264811

Styles in LibreOffice/Word are pretty much = HTML "classes".

So, if you use Styles in your documents:
  • "Heading 1" Style -> <h1> in HTML
  • "Heading 2" Style -> <h2> in HTML
  • "poetry" Style -> <p class="poetry"> in HTML
  • "centered" Style -> <p class="centered"> in HTML

This gives you very clean HTML for your ebook.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-02-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:44 AM   #4
1eduard
Connoisseur

Styles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
See my recent post here. I linked to all the best Styles + LibreOffice info I've written:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...11#post4264811

Styles in LibreOffice/Word are pretty much = HTML "classes".

So, if you use Styles in your documents:
  • "Heading 1" Style -> <h1> in HTML
  • "Heading 2" Style -> <h2> in HTML
  • "poetry" Style -> <p class="poetry"> in HTML
  • "centered" Style -> <p class="centered"> in HTML

This gives you very clean HTML for your ebook.
Sorry, Tex2002ans that I didn't answer your post, but I was busy with other things!

My english (americain) isn't that good! So could you simply write about using Styles in LO, please? Thanks!
Old 11-10-2022, 07:35 AM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Here are some youtube videos that might be easier to follow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0vppPe5hUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apj6uctVZpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YB4RIR-fa4
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2022, 08:42 AM   #6
1eduard
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Ok, many thanks!
Old 11-10-2022, 12:42 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eduard View Post
So could you simply write about using Styles in LO, please? Thanks!
Visit the Reddit posts I linked to... Like this one.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-10-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:05 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
But edit in odt and an extra Save As in docx for Calibre.
All the paragraph and heading styles perfectly 1:1 as CSS after conversion to epub2.
You might need to edit CSS of images.
Make any other ebook format from the epub2

I don't use any of the default LO Writer styles, but define my own headings with Page Break Before and a Headling Level.
I defined other styles for:
1 regular paragraph,
2 first paragraph after any centred element.
3 Preamble titles
4 Preambles
5 captions
6 quotations
7 letters
8 old typewriter notes or console text
9 list headings
10 list elements and they never have auto number/letter or bullets. Explicitly type those in at start of each list element for 100% compatibility.
11 Notes in a rectangle box (even works converted to old mobi).

Undock the Style browser (set to Paragraph) and Outline/Navigation/Heading browsers.

Leave page style undefined in Insert Page break except for version to export as PDF. Only edit a copy for PDF export if needed when version for epub is polished.
Never edit the "Save As" docx, only odt.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-12-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:09 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And using (paragraph) styles for everything applies to MS Word too and LO Writer on Mac, Windows and Linux.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:15 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Sigil is very good if you are doing complex stuff or making a text book. But if it's fiction novel then LO Writer edited in odt, extra Save As in docx and then Calibre to epub2 is simpler.
You can still edit the resulting epub in Sigil or Calibre to fix up images' CSS.
Old 11-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Please refrain from giving advice to use calibre in the Sigil forum. If it's asked in the Sigil forum, give Sigil advice or none. If something is better suited to the calibre forums, a Moderator or Editor will move it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 02:38 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And using (paragraph) styles for everything applies to MS Word too and LO Writer on Mac, Windows and Linux.
It applies to any word processor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:18 PM   #13
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Sigil is very good if you are doing complex stuff or making a text book. But if it's fiction novel then LO Writer edited in odt, extra Save As in docx and then Calibre to epub2 is simpler.
You can still edit the resulting epub in Sigil or Calibre to fix up images' CSS.
I would say: "then LO Writer edited in odt", then exporting to either ePub2 or ePub3 formats using the Sigil plugin "odtImport" is simpler. YMMV.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:31 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
How good is the import of an odt file using the Sigil plugin at this time. When I tried it a while back (2017 time frame), I found the default CSS required quite a bit of massaging to be useful for me.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-12-2022 at 07:34 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:43 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It applies to any word processor.
Yes, I suppose there are some others still!
However some old products that were called word processors didn't have styles separate, only inline formatting.