Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-02-2022, 04:49 AM   #1
1eduard
Connoisseur
1eduard began at the beginning.

Device: none
Keyboard .....?

I live in The Netherlands, so the book shall be in Dutch.

But om my computer my keyboard has to be set in English US?
1eduard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eduard View Post
I live in The Netherlands, so the book shall be in Dutch.

But om my computer my keyboard has to be set in English US?
AFAIK No!
Only the HTML/metadata tags need to be in ASCII (you should declare the Language used in the metadata (OPF). I believe that will default to the SYSTEM (Locale) language

Why not do a few Tests (1 page books) and see what you get?
When learning some basic EPUB styling code, I created a 'sampler' book, where I tried things out for effect (note: On My device only)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2022, 04:40 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I learned a lot by looking at the code of existing eBooks and anything I didn't understand or needed some help with, I did a Google search.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:31 AM   #4
1eduard
Connoisseur

Ok, thanks!
Old 06-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #5
1eduard
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
AFAIK No!
Only the HTML/metadata tags need to be in ASCII (you should declare the Language used in the metadata (OPF). I believe that will default to the SYSTEM (Locale) language

Why not do a few Tests (1 page books) and see what you get?
When learning some basic EPUB styling code, I created a 'sampler' book, where I tried things out for effect (note: On My device only)

Where do I find this basic EPUB styling code?
Advert
Old 06-04-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
1eduard
Connoisseur

So, I must have a reader device?
Old 06-04-2022, 05:27 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eduard View Post
Where do I find this basic EPUB styling code?
You steal it from books you like.
Almost every device/browser has defaults if you do not use your own (CSS is the clean way) to Style.

Code:
<body>
<h3>Chapter 3</h3>
<p>The Moon shown brightly over the hills.</p>
<\body>
is perfectly valid (and Jon, being a minimalist, would mostly approve ) using whatever the device wanted.

Think of Styles as overriding the defaults. Since no one can agree what thos should be, it really is better if you use YOUR exact preference.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:42 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You steal it from books you like.
Almost every device/browser has defaults if you do not use your own (CSS is the clean way) to Style.

Code:
<body>
<h3>Chapter 3</h3>
<p>The Moon shown brightly over the hills.</p>
<\body>
is perfectly valid (and Jon, being a minimalist, would mostly approve ) using whatever the device wanted.

Think of Styles as overriding the defaults. Since no one can agree what thos should be, it really is better if you use YOUR exact preference.
Yes, being a minimalist is a good thing. It means a lot less code bloat an the code being as minimal as possible means less chance of any program/device having a problem with it.

There are some defaults to use. Use the default font, font size (for the main body font) and use the default line height. Some programs/devices allow you to set your own and may not work well if you have them set in CSS.

Oh and as for the code above, I would use <h2> instead as I like the <h2> default side for a chapter title.

For that code snippet, this is the CSS I would use.

CSS
Code:
body {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: justify;
}
h2 {
  text-align: center;
  font-weight: bold;
}
.noindent {
  text-indent: 0;
}
p {
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  text-indent: 1.2em;
}
HTML
Code:
<body>
<h2>Chapter 3</h2>
<p class="noindent">The Moon shown brightly over the hills.</p>
<\body>

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-05-2022 at 04:44 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #9
1eduard
Connoisseur

Ok, many thanks!