Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-01-2022, 09:51 AM   #1
1eduard
Connoisseur
1eduard began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best way .....?

What is the best way to write an e-book ?

The first thing I've to learn is what an epub file exactly is? Then learning Sigil?

But after: first write the text on paper or using Sigil?

(Sorry, I didn't have internet for 2 weeks!)
1eduard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:01 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
If starting from scratch, use Word, or OpenOffice, or LibreOffice to create your text. But first learn how to use and apply style rules properly in whatever word processor you choose.

Then you can use Sigil plugins to import the Word doc, properly keeping your styles.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-01-2022 at 10:03 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2022, 10:04 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Some people seem to use Sigil as an authorial tool to write their book. I certainly don't recommend it. I agree with Kevin completely about where to start.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
1eduard
Connoisseur

Ok, many thanks!
Old 06-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
1eduard
Connoisseur

If I've written the text (in LibreOffice) then export the files to Sigil?
Advert
Old 06-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eduard View Post
If I've written the text (in LibreOffice) then export the files to Sigil?
Did you use styles? If not, you can expect rather messy code that will need a lot of fixing by hand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And you instead use a Sigil plugin to import directly from the Word or docx
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:05 AM   #8
1eduard
Connoisseur

Is the Sigil plugin able to import LINUX (.odt) files?
Old 06-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #9
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Is the Sigil plugin able to import LINUX (.odt) files?
Yes, but the docx-importer is much better. So write in libreoffice, and when you're done, save as docx, which you import into Sigil.

That creates the cleanest code from my experience.

(And yes, make sure you use styles!!!!!!)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:57 AM   #10
1eduard
Connoisseur

Ok, thanks!
Old 06-03-2022, 05:28 AM   #11
1eduard
Connoisseur

So, I now can start writing my e-book (using styles).

The only thing I've to find out what is here in The Netherlands the most used reader?
Old 06-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, I now can start writing my e-book (using styles).

The only thing I've to find out what is here in The Netherlands the most used reader?
You really do need to test on both a Kobo and a Kindle as they are completely different and your eBook should look good on both.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #13
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Maybe contact https://www.ereaders.nl/

Or check some sort of pricerunner-site that compares prices and see what e-readers are in the top searches.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 11:51 AM   #14
1eduard
Connoisseur

That's a very good idea!

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2022, 03:19 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is the layout for your eBook going to be complex or is it a simple layout?

One program I suggest you install is Adobe Digital Editions 2.0. I know it's an old version, but if your eBooks looks good there, it will most likely look good in a lot of other programs or Readers.

https://adobe-digital-editions.softw...r.com/versions

Some quick tips.
  1. Do not set an overall Left/Right margin. Leave it at 0.
  2. Do not set a line height.
  3. Do not set a font size for the main body text.
  4. Do not have so much wasted space for chapter headers.
  5. Do not have paragraph spaces except where needed such as section breaks and offset text.
  6. When having offset text, do not make it a smaller font size then the main body text.
  7. Do not use embedded fonts unless needed and not for the main text.
  8. Do not set the main text to any specific font or font type.
  9. Do use indents and set them between 1.2em and 1.5em (I prefer 1.2em).
  10. At the beginning of the chapter and section breaks, the first line of the first paragraph should not be indented.