Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Need more staff action in the Sigil forum

There are a lot of people who post in the Sigil forum asking questions that have nothing to do with Sigil and belong in the ePub forum.

What we need is more diligence in patrolling the Sigil forums so these posts get moved to the ePub forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Jon,
The fastest way to get a thread moved is click the report button.
It is on the right side of Karma.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Jon,
The fastest way to get a thread moved is click the report button.
It is on the right side of Karma.
I do that. But I also see threads where staff partakes and it's nothing to do with Sigil.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do that. But I also see threads where staff partakes and it's nothing to do with Sigil.
So... what you really want is more staff to disagree with the staff?

Okay...

Staff vs. Staff on at 10 tonight! Yeah!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
So... what you really want is more staff to disagree with the staff?

Okay...

Staff vs. Staff on at 10 tonight! Yeah!
Can I referee?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Can I referee?
Certainly. But you'll have to find your own whistle.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Jon
I move some.

Sometimes there really is not a better place.
Sometimes, there are 2 places (and I don't know if or how to do a topic link. (it may take a Greenie)

MR forum structure has a lot of Gaps.
Fortunately, it is edged cases that belong there, so we (forum level mods) mostly leave them.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yup, links are a Greenie power. Or else very well hidden.

And I don't really think that is a good solution either -- those things seem to be pinned to the top like stickies.

Can't file a thread in two different forums.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"How do I do X in Sigil" questions belong in the Sigil forum.
"How do I do X in ePub" questions belong in the ePub forum.
There's rarely any overlap.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"How do I do X in Sigil" questions belong in the Sigil forum.
"How do I do X in ePub" questions belong in the ePub forum.
There's rarely any overlap.
How do I do X in epub, and if I do it using sigil?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
How do I do X in epub, and if I do it using sigil?
If you're asking "how do I do X in an ePub book?", the question belongs in the ePub forum. The tool you're using to do it is irrelevant. If you want to ask something like "where's the menu item to do X in Sigil?", then that question would belong in the Sigil forum, but not a question about actual ePub coding.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll be perfecrly honest: I don't find enforcing a black & white thread relevance policy to be very fruitful friendly, or necessary. I'm pretty active in the Sigil forum (no surprise there), and I keep a pretty watchful eye on things. I merge, I move, I moderate threads there quite regularly. If I don't move a thread that was reported as being in the "wrong" forum, it's because I do recognize an overlap between epub and sigil that I don't always feel compelled to act on. If a post is clearly in the "wrong" forum, then I move it. It's not like the Sigil subforum is a hotbed of activity where "relevant" threads are fighting for space. If a member is receiving good advice on things that CAN be done with Sigil, I'm not likely to disrupt the conversation by relocating it.

Other moderators are free to use their own conscience with regard to relevance, but I'm not going to move every thread that one (non-OP) member thinks should be moved. If multiple members were complaining about a thread, that would, of course, be different story.

My advice to you, Jon, would be to not worry about it so much. There's plenty of staff oversight going in the Sigil subforum. They're just not always going to act on your reports.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'll be perfecrly honest: I don't find enforcing a black & white thread relevance policy to be very fruitful friendly, or necessary. I'm pretty active in the Sigil forum (no surprise there), and I keep a pretty watchful eye on things. I merge, I move, I moderate threads there quite regularly. If I don't move a thread that was reported as being in the "wrong" forum, it's because I do recognize an overlap between epub and sigil that I don't always feel compelled to act on. If a post is clearly in the "wrong" forum, then I move it. It's not like the Sigil subforum is a hotbed of activity where "relevant" threads are fighting for space. If a member is receiving good advice on things that CAN be done with Sigil, I'm not likely to disrupt the conversation by relocating it.

Other moderators are free to use their own conscience with regard to relevance, but I'm not going to move every thread that one (non-OP) member thinks should be moved. If multiple members were complaining about a thread, that would, of course, be different story.

My advice to you, Jon, would be to not worry about it so much. There's plenty of staff oversight going in the Sigil subforum. They're just not always going to act on your reports.
My only issue would be that general ePub coding questions are of interest to a great many more people than use Sigil, and will, therefore, reach a much wider readership (and be more likely to receive a useful response for the poster) if they're in the ePub forum. But I agree, we shouldn't get paranoid about it.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My only issue would be that general ePub coding questions are of interest to a great many more people than use Sigil, and will, therefore, reach a much wider readership (and be more likely to receive a useful response for the poster) if they're in the ePub forum. But I agree, we shouldn't get paranoid about it.
I would agree. But I think that, if in the long term, this question or comment provides a good benefit then it is more likely to need moving.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

tl;dr

Moderators should use their judgment.
Oh, wait, you mean they're doing that already?
Oh well then.